Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

chips for salsa?

I'm 4.5 weeks post op, and I am craving home made salsa (mine is so good!), and am assuming since it's all fresh veggies that it's a good thing for me to eat. But I am wondering if there is a tostito type chip that I can eat with the salsa that won't be a bad diet choice? I'm thinking Kim's Magic Pop wafer/chip things might work?

Maybe you can make your own? Take a corn tortilla and spray it with a little oil, cut into triangles and bake it.

Better yet...can you substitute veggies for chips? carrot slices, cuke or zucchini rounds? Try to think outside of the box for the healthiest options.

Just check with your doctor first...you're only a month post-op.

Not sure what your plan calls for, but this seems awfully early to be experimenting with any sort of crunchy food. If you are allowed crunchy food, try making cheese crisps or sliced pepperoni crisps. If you aren't allowed crunchy food, put some salsa on top of refried Beans, a poached egg, or stir it into your scrambled egg. This might be a good time to break mental habits like salsa = crunchy fried carb laden foods that will derail your weight loss.

If you had RNY, please be careful about eating raw carrots. I am 8 weeks out and that was the worse thing I could ever eat and my first dumping experience.

I have gotten these veggies chips. They are vegan and very low carb. They are in a green page and say veggie chips: Kale, Spinach and Carrot. I found them at Sprouts, Safeway, and Winco.

Good luck and just remember to chew chew chew

Better yet...can you substitute veggies for chips? carrot slices, cuke or zucchini rounds? Try to think outside of the box for the healthiest options.

Just check with your doctor first...you're only a month post-op.

I now want some cucumbers with salsa :)

Both chips and veggies are too crunchy for somebody less than 6 weeks out (at a minimum) to handle. By this point, you can go with some of the softer cheeses (aim for low fat) when they are diced up or thinly sliced. Jarlsberg, sharp cheddar, Emmenthaler, and others seem great for dipping in salsa.

Also, nothing wrong with just having your salsa on the side with other approved soft foods during a meal!

Salsa on scrambled eggs! Yum!

Or a quesadilla made from the zucchini tortillas I posted a recipe for in the food section.

Zucchini chips from a dehydrator or low temp oven (yes I am on a zucchini kick these days my garden is over producing!).

I also got some quinoa chips at costco the other day that may work for you, they dissolve into powder in my mouth so I can't imagine them being sharp or hard to digest at your stage (kind of like crisp toast does, but don't eat that!). I will take a pic of the bag later and post.

Both chips and veggies are too crunchy for somebody less than 6 weeks out (at a minimum) to handle. By this point, you can go with some of the softer cheeses (aim for low fat) when they are diced up or thinly sliced. Jarlsberg, sharp cheddar, Emmenthaler, and others seem great for dipping in salsa.

Also, nothing wrong with just having your salsa on the side with other approved soft foods during a meal!

Depends on your doctor, mine cleared me at four weeks to start trying everything and see how I tolerated it. I did fine with a lot of things except carrots, cruciferous veggies, Apple skins, rice, some meats.... Anyhow I did fine with cucumbers and zucchini and things like that.

To the OP check with YOUR doctor and plan and see!

Oops sorry they were lentil chips not quinoa (got those once too so I was confused!)post-194772-14401084283111_thumb.jpg post-194772-14401084450548_thumb.jpg

Forgive the ripped and wrinkled bag!

Not sure about this one. The veggies are a great idea but it could be very early for you to use those. Even when I was allowed, it was months before I tolerated it well.

Probably the best thing to use it on right now is a Mexican omelet or scrambled eggs. That does not solve the crunchy issue, only time will take care of that.

Sorry

I think the best chip for when you're craving salsa is actually a spoon.

Celery

​I tried melted parmesan crisps tonight (after reading this yesterday it is all I could think about). They were really good! I just melted 1/4 cup of freshly shredded parmesan into 2 piles and broiled. Maybe a little too high in fat to have too much but it gave me 9 g of Protein with my meal and tasted so yummy! I think I would try that with Soup the next time I have Soup also instead of crackers. And they were really filling too.