Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am admitting for the first time - weight does effect overall health

I am really beginning to notice how much of a difference being 272lbs compared to weighing 222lbs is. Most of my life I hovered around 220-230 but after multiple failed diet attempts and switching from a job that requires constant movement to a desk job, I gained weight. I always told everyone being heavy did not effect the ability to do things, and that even at my weight I was still able to run, walk for hours, and live my life without issues. Now at 272lbs, I am embarrassed to admit that it does effect me in so many ways. I dread walking up stairs, I can't walk a mile without my back and feet killing me, and I get out of breath doing the most simple tasks. I long for the days I can go somewhere without worrying that I physically won't be able to do it. This is a terrible feeling. So grateful that I will be having this surgery and giving me a second chance at getting my life back.

always told everyone being heavy did not effect the ability to do things

@@provenzee

"to thine own self be true" -_-

people/you/me often stick their head in the sand avoiding their weight problems :(

it can be hard to admit/recognize/admit their is a problem :(

good for you on your realization about yourself :)

stepping up ;)

proceeding to have surgery

you sound like a pretty smart "cookie" to me ;)

you want to be healthier, happier

knee, back, other physical issues will improve as you lose weight :rolleyes:

many eating, drinking et al rules to follow from day of surgery

your new eating/drinking habits do not stop at goal

you need to continue your new lifestyle with food for the rest of your life

that's fine

with good health/weight - you can look forward to a longer life :rolleyes:

great to start now practicing proper eating, drinking etc

get a head start pre-op and lose some weight

you work with the sleeve, and it will work with you :)

good luck

kathy

@provenzee

I used to eat more to hide the truth ... sad cycle really ...

BUT ...

I FINALLY broke that cycle ... July 8th 2015 I had my sleeve surgery ...

It hasn't been "easy" ... but it's worth every second ...

There are so many things I want to do ... places I want to go ... but I would just hide away and eat more to make myself feel better because I couldn't do those things ...

WRONG ANSWER!

So I finally admitted OUTLOUD what my problems were ... and I was so surprised that I wasn't judged or put down or told "oh well, you made your bed, you lie in it" ...

I had support and encouragement ... and for the first time in forever ... I realized that I wasn't alone and I could do it ... because I had so many around me cheering me on!

AND YOU WILL TOO!

Congratulations on the biggest first step to meeting the new you :)

Isn't this exciting?!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches