Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Passing For Thin - Support Thread for Those Approaching Goal

Julie!!!! You did it!!!

Congratulations!!!

:Banane30::Banane30::Banane30::Banane30::Banane30::Banane30::Banane30::Banane30::Banane30:

:eek::Banane23::):Banane23::):Banane23::Banane23::Banane23::Banane23:

Wow Julie, Congrats! That's a fabulous victory.

I actually think with the chewing and bite size thing, its waiting between bites that makes or breaks things for me. I too can eat absolutely anything, as long as I let each bite go down and see if it settles before the next.

But the thing is, Americans and Australians eat differently. You guys cut up your food and then switch your fork and eat with just the fork, dont you? Here, you keep your knife in your right hand, your fork in your left and you cut each bite as you eat it. It slows you right down and that makes all the difference to me. I often get blocked on things that I'm eating with just a fork (and even chunky Soup with just a spoon) becuase you dont have that cutting time in between to slow you down. Perhaps eating with both knife and fork in hand would help some people?

You are very inspirational tome.. I just want to be able to run or jog 2 miles in 30 min or 3 miles in 45 minutes..

I am not gotten the motivation to do so yet I am at goal weight, but have no motivation to exercise

JUlie,

Congrats on being... Overweight!!!

I too keep thinking, how is it that people are telling me to stop losing weight? How can it be that I only have 10 pounds left till goal... isn't that what normal people need to lose? OF course my goal may modify when I get there... it has already done so twice so far.

I am sick right now so I haven't run since Thursday... which makes me irritable (but at least I worked out twice on Thursday before getting sick).

I am in Southern Ontario (those of you who don't know me, I live in Arctic Canada), and am visiting family. I went out for dinner last night with just the adults (brother, sister and our spouses) and my brother commented that know I am the thinnest in the family... it just still shocks me you know.

I still often see myself as really heavy and just can't seem to shift that perspective easily.

Does anyone else have that problem?

On a personal note my son ( a sweet 8 year old who has Asperger's Syndrome) is off to sleep over camp for 2 weeks... I am having such a hard time not having him here.... I hope the 2 weeks goes fast!!!!

Dawn

Banded April 4th, 2006

Montreal

358/168/158

Dawn, So happy to hear from you! You are truely amazing with your fantastic success - truely an inspirational woman who shows what you can do with this little band and hours of healthy moving! You, Julie and Boo have pushed and prodded this now "buff" grammy down this wonderful road to health and happiness! I too have a little one - grandson - (he just turned 9) with Asperger's (high functioning - he reads at a level about 5 grades ahead & is a math wizard) or at least labeled that so that he can get the "special ed" that he needs.

These past couple of months have been rough. I've been fighting to keep my weight within a 5 lb range...........went thru an unfill, refill, too many trips (that is travel - fun and exhauting), company from hell (another story)............now wanting the rest of summer to saunter by so I can enjoy the sun for a few more weeks. I've decided that I do want to loose another 20 - 30 lbs.............been going back and forth for months on "yes I do"/"No, this is goal". My exercise sessions have plummeted this past month......had lots of excuses.......but, no more! Went to a fun new exercise class "Zumba" on friday - latin dance.....worked up a great sweat and going to my beloved NIA class this morning.

Julie, thinking I might get a Bodybugg to pep me up and have a new gadget to help get me going again. Do you still use yours and what do you think? Is it worth the investment? If so, I can either get it on-line and have the 2 training sessions by phone or I can go over to 24 HR Fitness and get it from them (I do not belong to that gym-it's a meat market) and have them do the sessions at their gym...........what do you suggest - did you get yours on-line...is it easy to set up? I need a push and something new to motivate me and get me going again.

Betty,

I really do like my BodyBugg and I still use it. I'd pretty much stalled out since my PS and was having a hard time getting going again. I lost 10 lbs in the month of July. I haven't done that since March or so, and the only difference is the BodyBugg, so even if I get sick of it tomorrow, it's been worth it to me.

What I find is that the BB is only fun when you track both your calories in (i.e. what you eat) and calories out (by wearing the Bugg). If you just do the latter, it's pointless. So, really, the Bugg just makes me think about what I eat, like I did for all those months I used fitday/sparkpeople. I also like gadgets generally, and I just think it's fun. I bought it online and haven't done either of the counseling sessions. I meant to, but it was easy to figure out without them and so even though I paid for it (not that you have a choice), I haven't gotten around to it yet.

If you can buy it at the health club, I think it's about $100 cheaper. My understanding was that you had to belong to the club, but if that's not true, I'd probably do the sessions in person if you have that option.

Lastly, the way I use the BB, I don't wear it EVERY day. I wear it about 5 days a week. Again, if I'm in a place where I can't track my food in, I don't bother wearing it because it's only fun if you can do the math on both sides. Also, it's fairly noticeable, so you get questions about it -- not that I really mind that so much. But, when you're dressed nicely for something, you might want to take it off so it doesn't interrupt your outfit.

That's about it! I think you'd like it Betty. I say that because you were particularly successful when you tracked your food. You might give it a shot!

Julie, is that Body Bugg hard to use?I heard you have to plug it into the computer to get the read out. I am not very computer literate but maybe

I would have better success with my WL if I had something like that.

Julie, is that Body Bugg hard to use?I heard you have to plug it into the computer to get the read out. I am not very computer literate but maybe

I would have better success with my WL if I had something like that.

Yes, you have to plug it into your computer (well, actually, it comes with a wireless communicator, so you don't have to actually PLUG it in, but your computer does have to integrate with it) to download the info and see how much you're burning. You also have to log what you eat into the computer. The BodyBugg is very tech-y. I love that about it, but it would be a drawback for some. It is a very motivational tool for a gadget lover. For a non-gadget lover, I'd say log your calories and exercise without the Bugg and you'll get to the same place....

Yes, you have to plug it into your computer (well, actually, it comes with a wireless communicator, so you don't have to actually PLUG it in, but your computer does have to integrate with it) to download the info and see how much you're burning. You also have to log what you eat into the computer. The BodyBugg is very tech-y. I love that about it, but it would be a drawback for some. It is a very motivational tool for a gadget lover. For a non-gadget lover, I'd say log your calories and exercise without the Bugg and you'll get to the same place....

Question...

When I log exercise into Calorie Counter, Diet Tracking, food Journal, Nutrition Facts at The Daily Plate it calculates calories burned by my weight and the type and length of exercise completed. Is the BB more or less accurate than that thedailyplate? Or, do is there a way to know?

Question...

When I log exercise into Calorie Counter, Diet Tracking, food Journal, Nutrition Facts at The Daily Plate it calculates calories burned by my weight and the type and length of exercise completed. Is the BB more or less accurate than that thedailyplate? Or, do is there a way to know?

I think the BB is more accurate because it's specific to your body as opposed to taking averages of what a body should burn during XYZ activity for X duration at X weight and gender. The BB measures like 9 things going on in your body, from pulse to sweat, to hormone releases, etc. It touts itself as being 92% accurate. So, it's closer to medical testing than to calculations you can do based on activity or heart rate alone. What it tries to do is to get you moving a little more each day, independent of your exercise. Teaching yourself how to burn more throughout the day -- whether taking the stairs, changing your office design to walk a little more, etc.

That said, logging things on your own definitely works. I did it for a year and found it very motivational that way as well. The BB for me is just yet another tool. It was a $400 TOY that helped me break a plateau, probably because it reminded me of my goal, simply by sitting on my arm all the time, as much as anything.

Peeking in on you SKINNY GALS! LOL

Julie: CONGRATS woman.. .and how did the date go?

Jaque: That is a great observation about the fork and the knife eating style........... I am going to start eating like an Aussie! :)

I just had fill number 3 today... so we shall see how it goes...

Tracy, Wow, you are doing great! Look at those stats just since April.......proud of you! Happy to hear you joined a gym.

Julie, still trying to decide if I want to spend the money on the BB - I have spent so much money on weight related items that I gave up on in a short time........still thinking about it and if I really want to commit to actually taking the time to do all that is involved............guess that goes along with the fact that I'm not certain I want to commit to losing another 20 - 30 lbs????............and doing what I need to do in order to accomplish that???????

Into being buff again..................did my NIA class this morning (yesterday also)..............starting to feel like my old self. I missed not having the exercise routine that I've grown acustomed to the past months.................happy that I have no major travel plans for a while.

Betty,

My vote (not that I get one) is for you to consider losing 10 more lbs, then have the TT and BL you want. You'll be in the low 150s at that point and you'll be a super smokin' granny. I know how Alan feels about PS, but you should convince him. It's such a wonderful end to this journey. You should be able to feel your absolute best.

Don't buy a BB. When I get to goal (likely in October, given the marathon training), I'll loan you mine for as long as you want.

Tracy,

The date was GREAT -- thanks for asking! I'm sitting here daydreaming about it right now. It's hard to work with all the daydreaming, actually. This is the hottest guy I've ever actually seen up close and I can't believe he's dating ME. In my head, I keep saying "but don't you know that I used to be like really fat??" And, actually, he does know that and doesn't seem to care.

Anyway, he's probably not my soul mate, but we did have a great time and I look forward to the next time....

Julie: Glad to hear it went well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Judy: Thanks for the compliment... I'm in most all my size 16's again.. I tried on my 14 Levis last night and they went over my butt, but no amount of sucking or stuffing my gut in would allow them to button.. but SOON.......... and I worked out this a.m.