Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Passing For Thin - Support Thread for Those Approaching Goal

OK Denise, it sounds like it's definitely your metabolism and not your eating. 2/3 a cup for 4 hours sounds darn near perfect, as do your food choices. So, let's revv up your exercise! I think you should mix it up -- give your body the unexpected. And, maybe design a weight training program -- something like Jachut's. If you put on a few lbs of muscle, that could really help to stir the old metabolism. I'm sure you know this, but gaining muscle is our best friend. Muscle burns calories even when we're sitting around doing nothing.

Maybe start with a walk/sprint session on the treadmill. Walk for 5 minutes, then sprint as fast as you can for 90 seconds. Repeat for 30-45 minutes, depending on your treadmill level. Speed sessions are known for breaking plateaus, so hit that!

Denise, it sounds like YOU are doing GREAT!!! Wow!

Your BODY might not be cooperating, but your discipline and eating habits are excellent. In order to run and not be embarrassed, I run in the evening/night. Now it is California and the temperature is best after dark, but even in the "winter" it has worked perfectly for me, although I wouldn't advise going alone. My neighborhood is extremely quiet and conservative, but this year I've started meeting up with friends halfway or bring a family member along.

BTW, how do you take a base metabolism test anyway???? I've never heard of it. How do you ask for one?

I've not kept up with my exercise log. I run, but forget to change my signature. For August I'm gonna get a ticker and see how that works.

I've logged about 50 miles running this month.

wasa bubblebutt...its both but I can definitely eat more I dont have any fill and I have 10cc band but last November when they gave me 1cc I got chicken stuck badly and was hospitalized for a night since then my doc doesnt want to give me a fill and still from time to time I get food stuck but not so badly...

Boo

thank you! you are so nice! I guess something else then dissapointment with me not following rules and eating to much is bothering me I just need to figure out what that really is.cause my eating is usually not the problem I eat cause I have a problem.

Right now I just dont know what that is, Ok my new appartment is going to be finished in a while and I will move there and live alone.

Im frustrated at my job cause I dont have enough work to do:-)ok might sound funny to some and its ok if you dont have to do anything for a while but this has been going on for months.But I guess I solved it cause I was really hard on my boss last week and told him how I feel and that Im gonna leave if that doesnt change.(of course I talked to him many times before but this time I was just hardcore:-)and he promised to change that.

I dont have love that might be a real problem, I need a man who will love me,there are lots of guys who like me and are attracted to me, but they either want only sleep with me or I dont like them (might be Im too picky)

and last is money,I make enough but I dont have much more money to spend since I have to furnish the new flat so instead of going shopping I eat.talk about switching addictions:-)

All of you sorry for a long post and thank you for reading it.its somehow helps me to tell you all this, the "problems" or issues seem instantly smaller:-)

you all rock!!!

love Eva

BOO

yep I read as well than when you are sleep deprived you crave carbs like crazy and thats basically what I binge on:-)

yesterday I was a good girl:-)except for two glasses of wine I had pretty healthy day:-)salmon for dinner, yummy:-)

Im trying hard to get back on track and I will make it:-)!!!

I've been binge eating again. I "zoned out" and ate 800 cals of sorbet last night. That's not even such a problem food for me, historically, but there we have it.

I'm hoping that saying that "out loud" will help me to change it. It has in the past. I'm certain that a large component of it is not having my depression meds adjusted correctly yet and I'm really working with my psych on that. I'm not using it as an excuse, but I know it's contributing to the struggle.

The running keeps me from gaining (to date, at least), thank God. Doing the simple math, if I'm really going to run this marathon in November, I seriously need to take off 30 lbs or it's going to kill my body. Of course, I can't lose if I can't control the food. It's not my fill level -- it's completely emotional eating.

I need to find another distraction. I'm going to get out my sewing machine now that my house guests are gone.

Hey, Betty, did you get that fill? Are you feeling better about it? I've been thinking about you in the interim....

Almost there!!!

I have 30 minutes to reach this month's exercise challenge!!! YEEHAWWW

Does this mean I can be a slug for the rest of the month? :confused:

I think I need to increase my challenge for August.

I'm hoping that saying that "out loud" will help me to change it. It has in the past. I'm certain that a large component of it is not having my depression meds adjusted correctly yet and I'm really working with my psych on that. I'm not using it as an excuse, but I know it's contributing to the struggle.

Is your doc cooperating with you on this? I mean, is he supportive?

I have lost 111 lbs. and feel great, the problem is everyone else sees the difference except for me. In my eyes I see myself still weighing at 255 lbs. eventhough I weigh 144 lbs. My initial goal was to lose 100 lbs. which would put me at 155lbs. but I've been losing weight without trying and I wonder is it because mentally I don't see myself as being small. My fiance,family, and co-workers all tell me I look great but when I look at myself in the mirror, I still see the same FAT person I was before. I love shopping, which was a thing a hated before due to wearing a size 22/24, now I wear a size 10 bottom and large top. No matter what size clothing I buy, I still look in the plus size dept. at times. Does anyone else feel this way, and if so, how do you deal with it? Any feed back would be great!!!!! Thanks:help:

With regard to ellipticals and the like, they can and do play a role in fitness but you absolutely cannot beat moving your body out there on the ground, under its own steam, weightbearing exercise for results. No machine will ever match it. The only thing that comes close is a treadmill (which I use regularly) and even still I hit the outside to train for an event and get a huge boost in fitness everytime I increase my outside running.

Ellipticals are non weight bearing, you're not moving your body and even the resistance does not compare to actually moving on the ground. Great as part of a gym workout and especially great when you're heavy or injured, but shouldnt be the only cardio component of your exercise. They exercise your lungs but will never do for your body what running can.

Thanks Jacqui, that explains a lot. Maybe someday when I get more confidence, I will be able to run outside.I actually don't live that far from the

high school track. I often wonder if I could run around the track. Somehow, running on the treadmill seems easier.

Do you do any special breathing while you're running? I try to breathe in my

nose and out my mouth or I seem to get out of breath more if I don't concentrate on breathing.

Nothing special. I think I used to breath in 3 paces, breath out 3 paces. But these days on a long run, I dont even pant, I breathe normally. I get tired, yes, but my breathing doesnt get short and fast like it used to. I marvel at that. I can run now and it doesnt feel like heavy exercise, I get in stride, I dont feel like I'm pounding, its honestly as comfortable as walking normally. I can talk etc.

That's what I mean. You can get fitter on machines, but you'll never get to that point where you can run and not breathe hard. You actually have to run for that.

But take it as you're ready, nobody can go out and run 10 miles when they're just starting out, its taken me 18 months to get here. YOu'll get a very worthwhile workout inside on the machines until you're ready for the next step. Its just that the next step doesnt come without pushing yourself and working through the challenge.

Vanesa,

I understand what you mean.I wear a large top and size 10-12pant depending on cut . And I still go into the plus size dept. I can go and look at clothes for hours then hop over to the plus size dept and seem to find everything that I want there with the exception that its no longer my size. I wonder how long it take before your brain catches up. I think I might have to go to some support groups .I think that my docs office holds support groups for people at maint. does anyone have any advice for this mind-body question???

Julie The other dat I ate a Peanut Butter ice cream sundae with nuts and whipped cream. Just wanted to throw that out there

Ah, heck, do we have to fess up?? Oh alright, I had almost an entire pint of Extra Creamy Light Haagen Dazs yesterday. (Is that an oxymoron or what??) Afterwards I had one of the best runs ever!

Allright allright - today for Breakfast AND lunch I have eaten leftover dessert that I made on Sunday. Winter fruits poached in mulled wine. Its to die for - red wine, cardamom, cloves, cinnamon, honey, orange juice, and pears, dates, figs, apples and apricots in the slow cooker for about 4 hours. Its absolutely heavenly. It is fruit though right? For some reason its awfully hard to eat, it has a marked tendency to get stuck.

I wont mention the huge dollop of cream I had with it both times!

I'm not sure what's worse, the fact that I've eaten dessert for breakfast and lunch or the fact that its boozy. Still I guess its low fat!

Oh, and I"m going out for dinner tonight. I just decided to write today off as a mental health day.

That's the thing though. Once upon a time, I would have done that with McDonalds. Ten times the fat, additives and calories. Now my vices are basically wholesome foods. Red wine is good for your heart!