Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please help: These numbers don't make sense to me...

Hello All,

I'm new to the board so as a quick introduction I've been ttc with my husband for two years on our own before we did our first IUI in March 2015. It was unsuccessful, so we did a second IUI on July 23. Yesterday, my blood work confirmed that I have a "cautious positive".

My nurse explained a "cautious positive" as meaning that my HCG level is raised, and that I need to come in on Monday. If the number has increased, then I need to come in again on Wednesday. If my numbers keep increasing, then it means that I have likely conceived. If the numbers start to drop, then I haven't conceived. She said it can go either way.

Here is what is confusing me:

When I downloaded a pregnancy app from Babycenter, it asked me to enter the date of my last period which was June 5. I did and the app says I am 4 weeks along with a due date of April 10.

I figured that must be a mistake because my insemination was July 23, which is TWO weeks ago, not four. So I google'd IUI calculator which prompted me to enter in the date of my insemination. The IUI calculator gave almost identical results, and said that I am 4 weeks along with an estimated due date of April 14.

Does that make sense to you all? If so, can you explain it to me because I'm very confused. If I am pregnant, how can I be four weeks along when my insemination was 2 weeks ago? Are both calculators wrong?

Pregnancy isn't dated from the date of conception, it's dated from the date of your last period. Stupid, I know. So you get credit for two weeks gestation that never happened.

Pregnancy isn't dated from the date of conception, it's dated from the date of your last period. Stupid, I know. So you get credit for two weeks gestation that never happened.

Thank you Sharon! That is pretty stupid and confusing.

Now please, bear with me and my ignorance just a little longer as I have one more question. Even though I am technically only 2 weeks pregnant, the Baby Center app shows me at 4 and is showing me pictures of a 4 week old fetus. Is that actually what my baby looks like right now? Or does my baby look like the baby under the 2 week tab (the "baby" under the 2 week's along tab looks like an egg surrounded by semen)?

Should I always subtract 2 weeks off of where Baby Center says I am?

(I'm sorry if this is coming across confusing. I feel like things are getting lost in translation here. If you need me to clarify, it's okay)

Edited by Comfy_Blue

The egg with semen at 2 weeks is really the conception. You don't have to do any math. If babycenter says you're 4 weeks, that's the picture you look at.

By the way, I used to be a forum host over there!

The egg with semen at 2 weeks is really the conception. You don't have to do any math. If babycenter says you're 4 weeks, that's the picture you look at.

By the way, I used to be a forum host over there!

Thank you so much, this has been really helpful. LoL, and what a small world that you're a forum host on BC! BTW, I see from your ticker that your surgery is scheduled for today. Good luck!! I know how it can be a little nerve wracking and so I appreciate even more that you took time on your special day to answer my question and ease my own nerves. :-)

I have three hours before I leave the house to go to the hospital... and the time is draggingggggg!