Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will I be too sick Post opt to drive myself home 1000+ miles?

Hi all,

My airline ticket is going to cost me $900, so Im thinking of driving instead. Im a self pay and yesterday I discovered my car has an oil leak. I'd really like to spend that $900 to fix my car and just drive from Texas to California. Is that too far? Will I feel too sick?

Thanks,

V.

Depends on when you want to drive back. I was out of it all of surgery day and the day after wasn't much better. You also need to be careful because you can't drive on the pain meds they give you...

My surgeon said no driving for 5 days after surgery. I felt I would have been okay after the 3rd day and was perfectly fine by the 5th for the post-op visit to his office.

1000 miles is a heck of a distance to go alone, especially if you do start to feel weak or sick. Can someone go with you?

I sure wouldnt of wanted to.....good luck

I would talk to your Doctor, as mine advised that I could not drive for 2 weeks. If you decide to drive, please be very careful.

I was driving the day after surgery, but only for a couple of miles. I think you might be too sore and too tired to drive that far.

In other words, I wouldn't suggest it.

I don't think I could stand the seat belt pressing on my tummy for that length of time.

May I ask why you're driving to California? We have some of the best surgeons right here in Texas! Is it the cost difference?

I'm going to be a little stronger with my wording here...I think you'd be CRAZY to try to drive 1000 miles after surgery. Saving money won't mean much if you don't make it home. This is a time to pamper yourself and recover.

Ya gotta think...two days of driving there...you'll be worn out (mentally and physically)...you should be feeling as rested as possible before surgery. Then two days back...all alone? Not good. Not good for your physical, mental, or emotional well being.

Now if someone else is willing to go with you and do all the driving, you'd probably still regret it, but it would be a lot safer for all concerned.

Be good to yourself. Don't skimp on your safety, much less your comfort :P

I flew to Mexico and had my surgery. The return trip was 12 hours and I was tapped out. I drove the next day about 40 miles..this would be three days post-surgery...and then on that Saturday/Sunday, went with my DH on a 1000 mile trip and shared the driving. About three hours into the first leg I slept and then I felt great.

I don't think I'd do it on my own...Maybe you could just drive part way and get a cheaper flight from another local?

Sula

I had my surgery done on Friday and then had to drive 750 miles the following Thursday. I was a bit nervous about it, but made it just fine. There's no way I could have done it right after surgery, so I wouldn't recommend the attempt at all.

I agree with Terry, we do have some of the best surgeons right here in Texas. If cost is the reason for the long distance travel, it seems that flying to Mexico might be a better option. There does seem to be a significant cost difference in doing that.

Best of luck to you.

Just curious. Why are you driving to California to have the surgery when there are some excellent doctors in Texas? Is there some thing I should know? I am getting banded July 20th by Dr. Richard Collier in Houston. Thanks.

First- I would not have been able to drive after surgery.

Second- I lived 3 hours from my surgeon, so I did have to ride in a car 3 hours on the way home. My doctor said it was very important for me to get up and walk around every 30 minutes to keep from getting blood clots. Those 3 hours were a little rough. I kept a pillow on my stomach as we drove, but my mom's jerking driving (stop-go-stop-go) from high speeds, wasn't very pleasant. I was also very tired and sore..

I really really do not recommend the driving, it would be dangerous at best.

Are you having to buy your ticket last minute? That's an incredibly expensive airline ticket. Honestly, if you want to PM me when you are flying and where to/from, I will probably be able to find you something cheaper. I book travel stuff for my boss/mom all the time.

I do not recommend the drive. I flew home from Mexico to California 3 days after my surgery, and while I wasn't in too much pain, the flight made me nauseas, and sleep was good. If I had to drive, I would honestly drive 6 to 8 hours a day and find hotels. I wouldn't try to do 12 hour stretches, and like someone else said, you'd need to stop frequently to walk around.

Good luck with whatever you decide, and please keep us posted!

Hi,

You all make good points. But geez, this surgery is really stretching me financially. I would actually stay in a hotel for 2 days after surgery and then go. Even so, I guess I would be increasing my chances of blood clots. Im going to San Diego, because Im having my surgery in TJ, Mexico. Im going to Dr. Ortiz. I found a surgeon who does the surgery here in TX for $10k, only $1000 more than I am paying in TJ, but he's resume wasn't half as impressive as Dr. Ortiz's. I thought why get the worst surgeon in TX, when I can have the best one in MX for less. If insurance were paying and I could choose any surgeon, I would definitely just get it done here in San Antonio. I dont really have anyone else to go with me. I just broke up with my boy friend, my sister is covering for me at work, and my mother is on a VERY limited budget and I dont have the heart to let her pay to fly out here (it would cost a fortune since she lives in VA). My ticket is expensive because it is first class. I'll be 300lbs at surgery and I dont want to have to worry about spilling over into my neighbors seat. Ugh. I really regret that its all come to this. Six years ago I fit into a size 6 and today Im thinking of driving myself home form surgery because I had to fork over my entire savings to keep from eating like a pig.. Good grief, how did it all go so wrong. Hope I didn't bum anyone out....just venting.