Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Dreaming of banding in Alaska...

Hi folks,

I'm Vickie, a pediatric RN living in Alaska. I found out about the band several years ago but heard lots of negative things, so I never pursued it; all I knew is that I didn't want bypass surgery. Meanwhile, the pounds kept creeping on (where do they come from? wink.gif). So here I am, nearly 40 years old, 300 pounds, and I'm gaining a few pounds a year. Getting around is getting harder (which makes being a nurse interesting to say the least) and, since I have an autoimmune disease (Sarcoidosis), it makes it really tough sometimes. I've pretty much decided I want the band (concerns about my Sarcoidosis notwithstanding -- especially my worries about the coughing I do every day possibly dislodging the band), but the only doc who does it up here has done about 15. So I'll have to travel, and of course with that comes lots of arranging and such. Also, my insurance company in their "infinite wisdom" (snerk) wants me to have a six month weight loss trial with a doc. Because, you know, I haven't been on enough diets, right? ponder.gif

One thing that does concern me, besides the Sarcoidosis, is that as it stands, I only eat about 1500 calories a day on average. Thanks to genetics and a history of crazy dieting, in order to lose weight I really need to consume no more than about 1000 cals a day. Can I really do that with the band??

So, that's me. Married to my high school sweetie, mom of three teens (heaven help me), brand spankin' new nurse, Birkinstock wearin', granola crunchin', folk music lovin' hippie freak who has worked hard to accept my weight over the years. However, since it's getting beyond vanity into mobility and health issues, it's time to do something.

Thanks for listening. I'm looking forward to making new friends and learning a lot. I'll try not to talk too much. :P

Vickie in Alaska

Hi, Vickie! Welcome to the board! Wow, I could swear we have another bandster here with Sarcoidosis, so I am sure she will have much to tell you. Hope all works out for you. It sucks that your insurance wants you to jump through all their hoops, but you have to play their game to get what you want. Just do the best you can and hang in there!

I think it is Lisa (Delarla) that also has Sarcoidosis. She has had a hard time healing from her port wound but otherwise I think she has done well with the band. Welcome!!! It is nice to meet you. I am going to school to be a teacher and always thought about teaching in Alaska. I have always wanted to visit. Best wishes, Teresa

Blossom and Teresa, thanks so much for the warm welcome. :D It seems like I'd read somewhere that someone here had Sarc; I hope she checks in so we can commiserate. This is anything but a fun disease, and in fact I took care of a kid today who has it, which is even worse than we poor adults who have it. I'm doing pretty okay with it; I don't need prednisone, and just have an inhaler and take NSAIDS (I was taking Vioxx but we all know how well that goes.) I know it could be much worse for me. My real worry is that the coughing I do will dislodge my band; I've had surgery since my diagnosis and haven't had any difficulties with healing (knock in wood).

Now if only my insurance would cooperate...

Teresa, Alaska is really a beautiful state, and there are lots of teaching opportunities, especially in the rural parts of the state. I think it's pretty challenging -- some of the social problems in the villages are frustrating -- but also very rewarding.

Let me know if you ever need a tour guide, okay? I've lived here for 6 years, and also lived here in high school many moons ago. I love it, although politically I'm a fish out of Water because it's pretty conservative and I'm, shall we say, not.

Thanks again for the nice welcome. I'm looking forward to joining in. This is making my 12 hour night shifts less lonely. :D

Are teachers required to have Master's degrees up there for middle and high school grades? I just finished my bachelor's in science and math and am doing in-class volunteering with 6th grade math and science classes but am dreading having to go back for my Master's. I'm sick of school!!!! If you see Delarla's name on any of the threads you should send her a private message and ask her about her experience and symtoms of Sarc. I think she has mainly had healing problems in regards to it though. If I ever make it up there, I'll definitely take you up as a tour guide. I live in Oregon so the same holds true on this end if you ever visit. Teresa

Hi, there is another woman here on this board with the same auto immune disease you have, her name is Delarla, you should PN her , maybe she can help answer some questions for you anyways..Welcome to the site. This place has so much info and so much support. We gots lots of love here ..we are like family...you will surely get answers to almost any question you have band related here.

Hope to see you here often :D

Hey Vickie, welcome! You might want to check out the insurance threads (see "forum jump" below); lots of bandsters were asked to document their weight-loss attempts before getting the surgery. Makes me think that whoever is setting the insurance rules is absolutely clueless when it comes to fat: do they really think we haven't tried to lose weight before? Anyway, if your insurer gives you any trouble, some of the threads will give you suggestions for fighting back.

"Since it's getting beyond vanity into mobility and health issues, it's time to do something" -- I relate totally! And I think a lot of other people here do too. For a lot of us, the band has been a great tool for reclaiming health.

Welcome, and if you have any questions, just ask. There are lots of wonderfully helpful people here; I know, because they sure helped me.

. Married to my high school sweetie, mom of three teens (heaven help me), brand spankin' new nurse, Birkinstock wearin', granola crunchin', folk music lovin' hippie freak who has worked hard to accept my weight over the years. However, since it's getting beyond vanity into mobility and health issues, it's time to do something.

Vicky, Best of luck to you! Please research, research, and research some more. Get all the info. you can find on the band, the surgeon, and his aftercare first. You need to know what to expect w/ the sarci. before you are banded. After getting my band and losing 50 pounds, my health problems and their required prescriptions have been cut in half. I'm able to do things I hadn't felt like, or had the energy to do, in years. P. S. I just celebrated 32 years married to my high school sweetie.

You guys are the best. I've been PM'ing poor DeLarla -- talking her ear off. :D

Teresa, you don't need a masters degree to each high school here. It's something my husband is considering; he has a bachelors degree in Biology and is thinking about teaching. I think for full time positions they want you to have a teaching certificate, but subbing (where you can be as busy as you want) you need only a bachelors degree for secondary teaching. Elementary school's obviously a different thing. You're from Oregon, eh? It's one of my favorite places on the planet, and hope someday to move there. I especially love Portland and Eugene. My husband's thinking about naturopathic school, and there's at least one excellent one in Oregon. We used to live in Seattle and I really miss the Pacific NW.

Zoe, I'll definitely check out the insurance threads. Here's what reeeaaaallly chaps my hide. My insurance company doesn't cover medically supervised weight loss. So I have to pay, OUT OF POCKET, to jump through a hoop they want me to jump through. I plan on giving them a ration of caca doodie on Monday. I mean, how freakin' ridiculous??? Also I'm going to talk to my doc about asking for an exception in my case because I have hyperlipidemia, hypertension, asthma (very slight), plantar fasciitis, blah blah blah comorbidity fishcakes. The only thing I don't have -- that I know of -- is sleep apnea. But since I work nights I never sleep anyway, so... :D

And yes, I will do a lot of research. I've already done a lot -- been on the Yahoo groups for some time now. As a nurse, I know pretty well what most of the risks are, but hearing from folks who have been through it helps me personalize it. The doc up here who does the band is a goon and has only done about 15 of them so there is no WAY he will touch me. If he were a super competent surgeon I'd consider having him do the surgery, but, well, he's not. So, he won't. But since I work for a HCA affiliated hospital I have to go to a HCA affiliated place. I found a doc in Dallas who's done 450 of them, and he comes well recommended. I'll post his name to the doctors board and see what you guys think. I can't think of it right now and my internet connection is slower than slow right now.

My concerns in terms of lifestyle changes with banding are a) head hunger, :D chewing sssllloooowwwwly (I'm originally from NY and the youngest of three so if I didn't eat fast, I didn't eat), and c) I have a chronic cough with my Sarc (I'm talking to DeLarla about that issue).

Thanks again for the welcome, the advice, and the fabulous support. This is truly a delightful place. I'm happy I found you guys. :)

Hello,

I live in the Eugene area and grew up in Cottage Grove which is about 30 minutes away. I was thinking Alaska was kind of like a colder Pacific Northwest, but not so huh... Eating slowly and drinking enough Water are my constant challenges but I think I get better and better at doing those specific tasks. Glad to hear you've pm'ed Delarla. Best wishes, Teresa

Vickie, there are tons of Texans on this board, so I'm sure plenty of people know about the Dallas doc you're considering. That your insurance company is making you pay for medically supervised weight loss (and we all know how well that usually works) just to meet its standards truly sucks. Maybe if you rack up enough bills for everything from cholesterol meds to orthotics, your insurer will figure it's cheaper to make an exception for you than to keep shelling out for those so-called co-morbidities.

Good luck. I hope the Dallas doc works out.

Welcome Vickie :)

"comorbidity fishcakes" I love that. You mentioned being concerned about eating no more than 1000 calories. I don't think that should be a problem, but make sure not to go under 700 or 800 at the very least. I have days where I don't really think about eating and end up right around the 700 mark, which might be ok if I got in enough protien on those days. It was the wierdest thing to track my calories for a few days and realize I wasn't eating ENOUGH. How the hell did that happen? lol

I hope you give your insurance what for on Monday. I can't believe they are going to require something they wont cover. You should consider the costs involved with that stuff and see what the cost difference would be to go to Mexico, since you have to travel anyway... Just a thought.

Anyhow, good luck!

Sarah

Teresa, politically Alaska is nothing like its southern neighbors. More like Texas. With snow. :)

Zoe, thanks for the good wishes. Yeah my situation is a little complicated by the lack of WLS docs here in Alaska. I wanted to go to the NWWLS in Kirkland, WA but their facility isn't a HCA facility so my insurance will cover nothing. Nada. Zilch. Zippity doo dah.

Thanks for the reassurance, Sarah. I definitely want to be right about 1000, not too low (on account of starvation mode and lack of nutrients and all that jazz) or too high ('cause I wont' lose weight).

And yes, my insurance company will be hearing from me. Grrrr. I think it's time for me to do some fighting.

Thanks again for the welcome. :)