Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Want to get it right the first time.

I am having my first fill on Tuesday. The local Dr. I am using charges $350.00 for first appt. They request that you stay in the office for about an hour and will do any adjustments for free while you wait. After you leave the office you have 48 hours to let them know if you think you need an adjustment. If you call within that 48 hour period they will schedule you for another visit approximately 10 days later and it will only be $100.00. If you do not call within the 48 hours you start over with another $350.00 fill.

So here's my question. What will be the indicators to look for in those first 48 hours? Will the restriction loosen up like it did after surgery? By 2 weeks I was pretty much eating what ever I wanted with no PB's or anything. I can't eat as much as I did before surgery but I am eating more than the 1/2 cup a meal and I am not losing any more weight.

Should I just go ahead and make another appointment in that 48 hour window and then cancel if I don't think I need it at the 10 day period?

Jennifer,

I had my first fill three days ago, and I'm already able to eat way too much without feeling real full or even that satisfied. So in MY case, I'm sure I'll need another fill real soon. But everyone is different! If they'll let you make the appt and then cancel if you don't need it, I might be tempted to go that route "just in case". Seems from reading all the other experiences, most people need more than one fill to get the proper restriction, but I really don't know if it's recommended that it be done in such a short time period. Again, everyone is different and apparently I don't swell much with fills! See what others have to say. But if it won't hurt anything to schedule that 2nd appointment, why not do it so it's there if you need it?

I had my first fill today (1cc). I can already tell that there is no restriction...and there wasn't any after surgery either. Fortunately my doctor allows fills every week until you get to that "sweet spot." So I've already scheduled mine.

Lori

Hi~

I had my first fill one week ago today in Mexico. I was filled with 2.1 cc. That's more aggressive for the first time, but keep in mind that I went to Mexico. I feel great. I have good restriction and hope I won't need another fill for a while. Can you ask your doc for an aggressive fill? I know that a lot of docs in the states want to start with 0.5 cc at a time, but with that price, I'd want a big one first!

My fills are free without fluoro or $100 with it in Mexico. For your cost, I'm almost better flying back to Mexico! Ask to "fill 'er up!"

Good luck!

Hi Guys,

I just returned from the fill Doctor and learned a few new things. I have the Sweedish band which my Dr called the "Big Daddy". My band hold 9cc's instead of the bands that hold 4cc's. Anyway, they started me off lying on the table and took a picture of my port. It kind of freaked me out because you could not see the tubing that goes from the port to the band, but the nurse assured me that was normal for my band. This is why my fill solution has some iodine in it. After numming me up with lidocane, the doctor inserted this big needle into the port, using the x-ray to guide. He pinned it right in the middle. He had to push pretty hard to get it all the way in the port. Apparently there is some barrier they have to push through, but not to worry it won't go through the back of the port. The doc then started inserting the iodine/saline solution. He pushed some in then backed it off to remove any air that was in the band and in the port. It felt cold going in but no pain. He inserted a total of 4cc's which is what the company recommends for the first fill, then left the room. The nurse sat me up. The needle is still sticking out of me but it does not hurt just looks weird. She had me try some Water and some apple juice - no resistance. She then added a little bit of saline at a time until she had gotten to 1.5 additional cc's. At this point I thought I could feel a little resistance but nothing uncomfortable and nothing compared to the resistance those first 2 weeks post-op.

Anyway, she went to consult the Dr. and he suggested we do the barrium swallow x-ray to see what exactly was going on. So they stood me up and put the table on end. The first picture showed my band which was kind of crinkled looking. I estimate the stoma to be about 3/4 to 1 inch in diameter. Much bigger than I thought it would be. I drank a swallow of the barium which was not all that bad. We watched the Fluid slide right through the stoma. So he gave me another 1.5 cc's of Fluid. this time when I swallowed the liquid kind of backed up at the stoma so he said that was too much. He took out about 1/2cc and we swallowed once more. The trail of liquid was definintely smaller. I would say 1/2 to 3/4 inch in diameter. And that was that.

Now I have 48 hours to decide if it is right. I am feeling no resistance to Clear liquids but I took a few bites of soft pretzel and I do feel more than I did before the fill.

So how does this compare to other stories out there?

Jennifer,

You did so good, hope they gave you a gold star! :D

We are looking for fill Dr's too, do you mind telling your Dr's name and city/state?

2 more weeks and Wayne will be getting one, he says he could eat a quarter pounder right now, no restriction at 17 days post op.

But he is being a good boy!!

Hi Laurel,

I live a long way from Alabama. Tacoma Washington,

I use Tacoma Radiology Associates. They gave me no hassels about having the surgery in Mexico. All they asked was that I have the name of a local doctor where they could send their report.

I also use Tacoma Radiology (TRA) in Yakima. I just got my first fill there with Dr. Weis and loved Karen, the tech. I got a 1.6 fill and then sat there for a bit with the needle sticking out of me ... looking something like a dart board and drinking my Water and eating my applesauce. My mind was racing ... "Is this enough fill?" "Am I feeling restricted?"

I LEARNED A VALUABLE LESSON! Don't eat or drink before going to a fill appointment! I had a lunch date to meet my coach, Elma, who's a Bandster Pro and known on the Yahoo groups. I hadn't thought much about making a lunch date until realizing that maybe I shouldn't be eating before my fill appointment. However, TRA hadn't said anything about it when I made my appointment and I realized I couldn't really recall ever hearing the Bandster boards talk about this before. So when I went to my appointment and was there trying to decide if I was restricted enough or not ... I said to Karen the tech ... "I'm not sure if I'm full from the applesauce and feeling a good fill ... or because the fill is choking back my lunch from going south inside me."

So I took advantage of that 48 hour period to make an appoitment for an adjustment at $100. I most definately need more fill. At first I felt the restriction but my guess is because of eating before going to my appointment. I'm now scheduled to go back this next Thursday. Yes, another LONG drive up the freeway. And when I called back for my adjustment, the receptionist said, "and we ask that you not eat or drink anything 4 hours before your appointment." By gosh, they caught on to what I was saying!

Has anyone else heard this discussed on the boards? Is there any such rules at your fill doctor's offices about not eating or drinking before a fill? There are several of us here that have repeated the same thing ... "After first fill I felt no restriction." So I'm wondering if those that have reported lack of restriction that they ate or drank before their appointment.

Other than that ... the fill went fine! And to hear that some of you got fills without being numbed first??? No way! I would have refused! There's absolutely no reason they shouldn't have numbed that area before giving a fill. Are the doc's too cheap to spare the supplies it takes to numb someone or are they just being sadists? And after reading about the tossing and turning and man handling of a port ... that's uncalled for too. To me that seems like inexperience showing. Isn't that why we pay them BIG BUCKS to do the fluoro? So they can see right where they are with the needle and port?

Hope to hear some posts about the eating and drinking before a fill.

Lori in Oregon

Dr. Rumbaut 07/09/03 (265/243/140)

So what did the flouro look like if you had just been eating? Next time you come uplet me know and maybe we can get together for coffee after the fill.

I did not end up going back for any more fill. It is funny. I can eat a normal portion of food before feeling restricted, but sometimes I take one or two bites and I PB. I figure if I am PBing at all I do not need any more fill. I need to get away from the junk and eat healthier so I can lose faster. We have had 3 birthday parties this week and it has not been good for me to be around so much pizza and ice cream. They slide down so easy!

Hi Bandsters!

The second fill was indeed a real fill instead of an adjustment to the first fill. When the doc put the needle in, the last fill is supposed to fill the syringe. The saline is under pressure as if it were like air in an inner tube. But instead of 1.6cc's coming back out (like what when in at the first fill appt) only .4 came out. 1.2 was un-accounted for. The doc suspected I had a leak. But no such thing ... this fill at 1.8 is just right and so far so good that I still have restriction!!! I think I must have prayed all the way home ... 3-4 hours on the freeway. :rolleyes: I'm thrilled!

Jennifer, I'm not sure when I'll be up next. But I'll be sure to post and say when I'm coming your way, okay?

Lovin' my Band,

Lori in Oregon

hi guys noticed there were a bunch of bandsters from tacoma and the seattle area. I just had my fill at the new clinic in puyallup and let me say dr opp was wonderful. He did my fill under fluro which was 200.00 and for the barium to make sure he gave me a great fill it was another 75.00 still cheaper than tacoma radiology. I felt much better and the doctor was very thorough making sure i was going to be okay for my long weekend in yakima. I feel great. After not losing anything for the last month since my fill on friday I have lost 6 pounds. I love my band. I cannot wait to get to goal weight. Anyhow, I wanted to say hi to all the tacoma people.

Cindy:p

Hey Cindy,

Please send theinformation on your fill Dr. in Puyallup. Do you live in the Seattle area? Maybe we can get together next time you come around?