Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tips From The Trenches: Six Wardrobe Mistakes Not To Make During Your Weight Loss (and I Made Them All!)

I lost a lot of sizes, and went through several wardrobe sizes.

Getting a wardrobe at the thrift shop or consignment store is much easier said than done. I tried to do that and never had luck in my town. I think there are some places that have better selection, but I would have had to drive a long way to get to them. After a few attempts, I gave it up. I didn't like having to dig and search and search, just to find nothing.

I have a professional job and have to dress a certain way. I also don't have a lot of extra time. So I tried to be pretty basic in shopping. I bought about 3 pairs of basic slacks, and paired them with different tops and jackets. I really only had about 15 items in my closet at any one time, but it was enough to get me through 2 weeks without repeating, for work. (Obviously I washed and repeated the pants). I also always made sure I had one casual outfit for weekends. I bought things a little snug, and then wore them until they were a little too big. I shopped only clearance items, and got things really inexpensive - like I mostly paid around $10 for the pants, and less for shirts, a little more for sweaters or jackets.

Now that I've been the same size for over a year, I'm starting to build a big wardrobe. I LOVE being thin for that reason. I still am a bargain hunter. There is solace in knowing I don't have to grab what I can when I see it and pay full price, like when I was fat. I used to do that, just being thankful there was something that was sort of cute and fit ok. Now I know that I can wait for things I like to go on sale, and if it never does, oh well. There are a million more things out there in a size 8 that I'm sure I'll love :)

I hope to follow Jennifer Scott's advice to keep a 10ish Item Wardrobe (see her book Lessons from Madame Chic or her blog). For now, since I am not working and it's summer, I have about a three item wardrobe. As long as so have a bathing suit that fits, I'm happy.

That will have to change as I am able to start job hunting. I have started to get some different catalogs so I can keep an eye on some clearance sales (J Jill, Talbots, etc). I even subscribed to a couple of fashion magazines so I can start to think about what I really love.

Other than watching Project Runway, I have been so aggravated with the fashion industry for so long, I had been avoiding most all "fashion" magazines, etc. I am certainly not a label *****.

Here is a link to Jennifer Scott's TEDx Talk.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=V3CLRL32Mcw

Wow why such snarky comments! If you have a high visibility position and given that you have the budget for a stylist, great. Most of us do not have that, but I liked that the author shared some great tips on dressing while achieving weight loss ( which she probably paid dearly for). I had some nice designer pieces bought at discount but I quickly found out that they no longer fit. I pulled a few things from storage a size down, and added 2-3 new tops. I know I'll be going down several sizes so I'm not interested in paying a lot while doing that. I liked the idea of using a seamstress to take sizes down in key wardrobe pieces so they can stay with me through a couple of size changes. Anyway I'm having fun trying on sizes I couldn't wear even a month ago!

I'm actually finding the thrift and consignment shops more interesting as I lose weight. I found two where there are very high end clothes in OKC. When I went there at 305, there were not many options, but in the 220's...oh tons of great buys. I found a shirt that I really liked at Nordstroms but they wanted $280 for it. $5 at 2nd hand store - obviously had never been worn. It's one of my "go to first date shirts". ;-). So most of this obviously depends on where you live and your life style, but the basic message is:

1) Don't invest in clothes during the transition.

2) Dress your age, not what you wore last time you were this size

3) Don't work on Wall Street unless you have $15K to invest in clothes ;-)

4) Look for a good tailor if you can

What was not mentioned was you can get your belts taken in at any shoe repair store. Saved about $200 worth of belts on that one.

Oh, and if you served in the military...

keep an old uniform, it feels really cool when you can get back in it again.

Edited by OKCPirate

I held a very high position at a Fortune 500 Company and world travel was part of the job. I HAD to dress well so I can understand spending alot of money on clothes, but $30,000.00? If you have it and can do it good for you! I have always been a bargain hunter. I discovered that the Salvation Army has incredible options and agree that high end second hand shops are amazing for incredible buys. they have a great selection of clothing that I can now wear. I know it is not for everyone, but it works for me. I also made quite a bit of money selling my items on Ebay. Ebay is also great for other favorites of mine, Eileen Fisher, J Jill, Soft Surroundings and Talbots. Pinterest has quite a few boards that show you how what pieces to buy and how to build outfits with those items.