Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

When your Nutritionist and Surgeon tell you different things

My nutritionist (who is part of my surgeon's office) outlined the post-op diet as:

Clear liquids 2-3 days post

Full liquids 4-7 days post

Soft around day 10

Upon discharge from the hospital, my surgeon said to stay on Clear Liquids as long as possible (like until my 2 week follow up) so I'll lose more weight.

I am legitimately hungry, light headed and weak. Yesterday I sipped a Protein Shake all day and managed to get some significant Protein.

I'm not going to go crazy and actually eat anything, but I feel like a Protein shake is reasonable at post-op day 5.

I am not getting hardly any protein on clear liquids bc I absolutely can not do the Isopure without gagging.

Anyone have any experience with differing advice from the professionals??

My Protein Shakes were included in the clear liquid stage. You must get your Protein. I was on clear liquids for one week. Went to full liquids the second week and then soft foods the next week.

My nutritionist (who is part of my surgeon's office) outlined the post-op diet as:

Clear Liquids 2-3 days post

Full Liquids 4-7 days post

Soft around day 10

Upon discharge from the hospital, my surgeon said to stay on clear liquids as long as possible (like until my 2 week follow up) so I'll lose more weight.

I am legitimately hungry, light headed and weak. Yesterday I sipped a Protein shake all day and managed to get some significant Protein.< /p>

I'm not going to go crazy and actually eat anything, but I feel like a Protein Shake is reasonable at post-op day 5.

I am not getting hardly any protein on clear liquids bc I absolutely can not do the Isopure without gagging.

This sounds weird. I would talk to nut again - they shouldn't be giving conflicting information. I was able to do full liquids in the hospital and soft foods a week later and I have lost almost 20lbs.

Clear Liquids 2-3 days post

Full liquids 4-7 days post

Soft around day 10

Upon discharge from the hospital, my surgeon said to stay on clear liquids as long as possible (like until my 2 week follow up) so I'll lose more weight.

I am legitimately hungry, light headed and weak. Yesterday I sipped a Protein shake all day and managed to get some significant Protein.< /p>

I'm not going to go crazy and actually eat anything, but I feel like a Protein Shake is reasonable at post-op day 5.

The first thing you should have said was "the nutritionist said....." It's a bit disconcerting that the team is not on the same page. Call them out on it. Also check out other brands of protein. Syntrax and GENEPRO are popular and can be mixed with Water. I also used Prosource Nocarb while in the hospital and for the first month post-op. It's a bit viscous, but mixes well with Water and herbal teas.

My Protein shakes were included in the clear liquid stage. You must get your protein. I was on clear liquids for one week. Went to full liquids the second week and then soft foods the next week.

That sounds like full liquids unless you are doing protein drink/waters. By definition clear liquids are just that, liquids you can see through. Full liquids is anything in liquid form with a leaning towards a thinner consistency.

My surgeon gave an exception to my NUTs program. He said we could have premier shakes during the clear liquid phase. Clear liquid doesn't mean no Protein. Even if you are on strictly clear liquids you still need to get protein.

I had a similar situation where the NUT gave me an ongoing plan (for down the road after surgery) that includes carbs, but are to be eaten last during your meal. He said to divide the plate into 3rds, eating Protein first, then veggies if you have room, then carbs if you're still hungry. That's the "ongoing plan" for maintenance.

My surgeon gave me a sheet that says "For the rest of your life, this is what you can and cannot eat". There was a list in the YES column that had lean meats, good carbs, Protein based foods. In the NO column there was bread, rice, Pasta, sweets, etc He said to follow this and I'll be fine.

So when I was in nutrition class and the NUT said I could have carbs within reason, I showed him what I got from the surgeon. His reply was "I wish he would leave the nutritional part to the experts"