Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Advice - Urgent!

I am going to have lapband surgery but would appreciate some advice - I need to make a decision this weekend.

I'm trying to decide between two surgeons. I am a lower BMI and have to pay for the surgery myself. NY University in NY City (I live in a suburb) has a very good program with experienced surgeons but they charge $25, 000 for the surgery, so that's out of the question. If I have surgery out of the country they would do the follow up at a cost of $500. for the initial consultation and $100. per fill.

NYU referred me to a doctor in Mexico, Dr. Roberto Rumbaut who has over 5,000 lapband surgeries under his belt and has excellent credentials. The price is $10, 600, not including airfare, or $9, 500 if I can book on a "supersaver" day at the hospital. Obviously I would not go back there for any aftercare.

The other possibility is Columbia-Presbyterian. I could get into a trial which would cost me $14,500. The surgeon is Dr. Marc Bessler, head of their WLS program, who is very experienced in bariatric and laproscopic surgery but has done only 250 lapband surgeries. I'm not sure how important that is considering his other experience. The surgery would be done 15 mins. from my home. If I did the surgery in Mexico, they're willing to do the follow-up as a cost of $300. for the consultation and $160. per fill.

I have no idea how many fills I might need over the years and whether it"s worth going to Mexico for the surgery, though the immediate savings would be quite meaningful. Not sure whether over the long haul it would just even out, or going to Mexico might even cost me more.

All advice, comments, thoughts needed and welcome!

I think I would try to get in the trial. The cost isn't too much over mexico, and 250 surgeries is not too shabby of a number, especially since he is very experienced overall.

welcomeB.gif Many folks here (I think one poll I saw a while back put it at well over 50%) went to Mexico. Many surgeons there are have been doing it longer than surgeons in the US and some proctored US surgeons back when the FDA approved it for use here in June 2001. There is no way I'd pay $25K for the surgery out of pocket. You'd be better off going to Toronto to TLBC for $16K CAN. There is a doc in Denver (lapbandrockies.com) who does it for less than $12K I believe. There is a thread here dedicated to him (Kirschenbaum), you'll find lots of info in the Doctors and Hospitals forum and in the various state or country forums. Here's a few links to some threads about going to Mexico:

How to check on Doctors in Mexico?

Did anyone get there lap band done in mexico?

Mexico Banders?

In any case, if you choose to go out of your area you MUST set up after care locally FIRST. Many surgeons will not touch another surgeon's band. It doesn't matter if they were banded in Mexico, the US, or Belgium. There is a company called Fill Centers USA that is rapidly expanding across the US that will provide fills and aftercare.

What is the trial for? It's been approved in the US since June 2001.

The surgeon I chose has actually done less than 100 bands but I researched him well and asked him some pointed questions about his stats ans surgical technique and was completely comfortable with his answers. Inamed (makers of the US approved band) consider anyone who has done 100 bands to be an "expert" and eligible to proctor other surgeons in how to place the band. So 250 is a good number.

I wish you luck in your decision, in Mexico I wouldn't hesitate to see Aceves, Ortiz or Rumbaut. There are others that are also good, I'm sure. But those are the guys that seem the most respected. No way I'd ever consider Betencourt, though.<!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Dr. Aceves in Mexicali, Mexico is $8200. He's done over 1400 bands, he's the VP of the Mexican Bariatric Society and the Secretary for the International Bariatric Association.

He requires two nights in the hospital as he believes we fatties have more risk for complications after ANY surgical procedure. I seriously did my research before picking a US doc or Mexican doc and he simply had everything I was looking for plus a great deal more.

Only problem with Tijuana docs is that Tijuana is one of the most dangerous cities in Mexico. The Mexican gov't doesn't have their army stationed in TJ for no reason, they are needed there a great deal. Dr. Aceves is in Mexicali (other side of Calexico, California) and it is a very safe city.

If a doc has done 250 BAND procedures he is considered experienced. Just check out their stats, their patient referrals, everything. Do your research regardless of country you choose.

What is the "trial"? It's odd that if you are truly in a trial they would charge you anything. That's sort of the benefit of being in a trial.

This trial is not sponsored but they want to do lower BMI patients. Columbia-Presbyterian is an outstandind hospital; I'm not worried about that aspect. But thanks for bringing up, it's a good point.

I just had mine done in Mich. Insurance paid for most of mine but I think I remember my doctor saying that the hospital only charges 14,300 for people paying for it out of pocket. He is a great doctor and I couldn't have asked for a better hospital. My doctor was located in Grosse Pointe MI and his name is Dr. Hawasli.

Mine was out of pocket too.....$15,000.00. That was doctor; hospital stay; anesthesiologist; fills and follow-ups for a year.

All self-pay.....but I really like having someone close!

I'm lower BMI.....and I really think this may be my permanent treatment for my weight!!!!

I had my surgery done in Tijuana on October 3, 2006 by Dr. Daniel Huacuz. I was picked up at the airport by his driver and brought to his surgical facility. The surgery was done that evening. The next day I went to flouroscopy to make sure everything was fine with the surgery. The following day, I went home. I have lost 96 lbs. in nine months and feel wonderful. I could have not been treated more professionally. Dr. Huacuz and his whole staff have always been there for me. Since that time I have referred 12 people to them and they have all been pleased.

That doctor in Mexico has a great reputation. If you can find a good surgeon for after care I would do that. $100 for a fill is very good. Julie

I had my surgery with Doctor Rumbaut and absolutely loved him. The hospital was incredibly high class as well. The other thing about him, is that he HAS a lapband, so even if you aren't going to him for aftercare, he can still answer questions or you from a standpoint of experience and medical knowledge.

You should look into the trial. Make sure they don't make you sign something that says that because it is a trial that if something goes wrong they aren't responsible...

My surgeon in Mexico has done over 7000 and is very reknown. He is fabulous. His total price is 8500 and 7500 with references. His complication rate is less than 1 percent. I started a poll about surgeries in Mexico or US and there have been more done in Mexico so far than in the states. He uses a huge hospital, not a clinic and it's where the President would go if he needed medical assistance while in Mexico. His name is Dr. Zapata. PM me is you have any questions I can help you with. He has free fills for life but Dr. Curry does mine. I've had 5 fills and am a year out. Good luck with your decision.

What is teh study for? I am Ny Hospital banded in the next few weeks once i get insurance coverage.

Dr. Rumbaut does take the harder cases. His website mentions the possibility of needing to convert to an open surgery if there is an issue, and I asked him what types of issues caused that (HE CALLED ME ON MY CELL PHONE AFTER I BOOKED MY SURGERY TO SEE IF I HAD ANY QUESTIONS), and he laughed and said I would not need to worry about it, as it was usually only patients nearly twice my size that might have an issue. He was very nonchalant about it. I was absolutely shocked when he called me. His assistant Doralisa had been very helpful already. He was surprised that I was already scheduled when he called me, which means he was calling me as a 'pre-patient' thing.

Either way, sorry, after what WaBB said, I had to add.

Go with the most experienced doctor!! DO NOT, under any conditions, do a study, or let someone just starting out do this delicate procedure on you. It's life changing and you will be living with it daily; you need someone who knows what they are doing! Follow up care is worth it. This is major surgery honey, this is not day surgery. It's a BIG deal!! Make sure you have a good doctor for follow up help and fills and such. Pay whatever it takes for the best. You should not need many fills, only as you get thinner once you have had the first one. Good luck!!