Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

D/FW Area

Guest redhead2

I am having lap band surgery on Friday. I am excited and scared. I live in Allen, but work in Frisco.

Mrs. Redhead,

Best of luck to you! Here's to a speedy recovery!

Ray

8/9/06

280/260/180

Fort Worth, TX

Hi everyone. I'm from Lewisville and get banded on 9/23 by Dr. Marsden. Not nervous yet, but wait, still early. I'm on my pre-op diet and starving. I plan to have one "Last Supper" though and told my couch potato husband he's taking me out for dinner. He's a great guy and very supportive, so he said YES of course! What would I do without him? The same thing probably...hahaha

Sheila, I hear that...we are trying to figure out a way to squeeze in Razoos and our favority Thai place before 9/23 as well!! lol...it is not like it is our last supper or anything...just nutty brain mechinations!! I am excited though!

Hey Sheila,

Dr. Marsden is really good, he did my husbands A-V shunt a couple of years ago so when I saw him in the paper advertising this surgery, I knew that he was the one to do it. Since he deals with very tiny veins and artery's I knew he would be great at this. My only regret is that I don't feel like I have gotten a lot of information about what to do and expect. I am calling Debbie his nurse today about a nutrionist. Did they talk about that with you? Everyone on this list has one and I have no idea what I should or should not be eating so you guessed it, I am eating everything that I can and not losing a pound! There is a support group from the Surgery Center lead by Patty (he talks about her all the time) and she is trying to get a website set up so we can all talk but it hasn't happened yet. Good luck to you and I was starving on the pre-op also but lost 8 pounds, drink your Water as it helps. Here's my email address if you want to talk off line. dmdr125@aol.com

Sheilaj! Hi! I live in Sanger and Dr. Marsden did my surgery on 7/22/05, so about 7 weeks ago. He is fantastic! I don't have a nutritionist, but haven't really needed one...but I bet if you call and ask, he can set you up! PM me and I'll give you my home email address, or my work one, whichever you might like. I'd be glad to chat with you about things! Cindy

Hi Mousecrazy!

I have all kinds of questions, just don't know where to start yet.

I saw where you posted a response on the questions about out of network and you said you had Dr. Marsden and of course the surgical center is out of network. Did you have any problems with that? I just want to make sure that they don't penalize you for being out of network. Vicky with the Dr's office keep assuring me that's the case but I guess I'm a doubting Thomas. I just want to be sure.

No, they didn't talk to me about a nutritionist. Not sure if I'd be able to squeeze that in as well right now. This has all happened pretty fast once I was finally approved. They did however tell give a diet to follow. I talked to Debbie today and told her I was starving. She said she was going to talk to Patty (?) about maybe adding some Protein Bars or something along those lines to the diet because she hears that alot. It would be fine with me. I still have a week to go and my stomach is talking to me more than my husband is at this point.

Hi Dawn,

You know I feel the same way. I don't feel like they've given me enough information but in talking to my friends that have been banded they all say pretty much the same thing.

Each one of them tells a different story and I hear things like - no public Water for the first two months (swimming). Some don't have any pre-op diet info and others never had to diet at all before banding. I guess it just depends on the Doctor. I'll just stick with what they gave me to go by and hope for the best. I'll tell you one thing though, It's not going to keep me out of outback on Wednesday!!

Hi Keri,

Another 9/23 Band Buddy!! I'm excited about getting banded. I've seen and heard alot of success stories with the band and I'm ready to be part of the excitement. I'm also looking forward to that last supper..hahaha...Razoo's sounds pretty good too..choices, choices!!!

Hi, I live in Mesquite.

I'm investigating the entire lapband process.

I've been referred to Dr. Richard Anderson at the Surgery Center of Dallas. Has anyone used him? Can anyone tell me anything about him?

I admit, I'm not thrilled at the concept of "going under the knife," even if it is a minor procedure.

Obviously, I'm morbidly obese or I wouldn't be considering this. I'm also disabled, but it has nothing to do with weight -- I have a number of genetic illnesses that make life difficult in the first place. The extra weight only adds to the problems.

I'd love to hear some recommendations for doctors in the Dallas area. I've heard about a Dr. Nguyen Wyn in Frisco but haven't been able to find an address or phone number on him.

I have 2 srikes against me going in:

1) I'm on Medicare and, while I have several different problems that QUALIFY me completely for lapband, I know Medicare will fight it. As I'm disabled, I don't work and have absolutely NO income outside of Medicare and Social Security Disability (not married; no second income).

2) My longtime gastroenterologist, I discovered recently, wrote in his notes -- ON RECORD -- that I am suing a hospital where I was taken in a coma last year. I was severely mistreated there and actually physically abused. I seriously CONSIDERED suing them for it, but knew I wouldn't have the money or enough witnesses to do anything, so I didn't pursue it. I mentioned to my GI that I *wanted* to sue them, but never that I was doing so. Now, when he refers me to any other doctor and sends copies of is records, the doctors see that and refuse to treat me. They've never come right out and said it, but I've never been turned away from any doctor before, so I feel quite certain that's what's happening.

My internist believes I'd be a good candidcate for lapband (I really do *not* want a gastric bypass for so many reasons, some of which are medical), but finding someone who will do it on Medicare is going to be tough. I simply cannot pay for it out of pocket as I do not have that kind of money.

ANY ideas, suggestions, names of surgeons (and their phone numbers or ewbsites) would be seriously appreciated.

Thanks!

Laura,

Dr. Anderson did my Lap-Band procedure the Friday before Memorial Day and I am very pleased with my results. Dr. Anderson's very professional and gets right to the point, but he will take all the time you need to answer questions, etc. He's Vice-chair of general surgery at Presby Dallas and been voted as best doctor by his peers for the last 4-5 years [D magazine]. He is part of the Southwest General Surgical Associates, whose offices are located at the Presby Dallas. One of his partners, Dr. Hagood did a Lap-Band procedure for a friend that was a Medicare patient [early June], so I do believe both doctors will accept Medicare patients.

FYI, Medicare will require the Lap-Band procedure be done at a hospital and not at a surgical center and you will have to have an overnight stay.

The LapBand procedure was a breeze! [i had it done as an outpatient] Honest, all I had was some minor discomfort for 1-2 days... I was back to work on the Tuesday after Memorial day.

My weight loss can probably be called 'average', but I can't brag enough about the overall increase in my general health and energy levels as well as all those inches that are gone forever. Within weeks of the Lap-Band procedure, my Primary Care Physician [internist] removed me from all my prescription meds [blood pressure, GERD, etc]. So far I've gone from a size 26W to between a 16W-18W.

The Lap-Band was truly the best decision I have ever made.

I wish you the very best as you decide on your surgeon and then have the Lap-Band procedure. Please let me know if you have any other questions.