Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The monkey on my back

My comfort foods used to be macaroni & cheese or anything on a bagel. Ice cream used to be a treat and I almost never had any in my freezer. But Pasta and bread have been out for a long time now, and I thought I'd been doing well without a replacement for them.

Ice cream has taken over, though. It's unfailingly delicious and blessedly easy to eat. Of course, I know it's not good FOR me. So I'm publicly facing up to the fact that my relationship with it has changed and now borders on the pathological. Of course there are worse vices I could have, but when a comfort food becomes a staple of a diet it's time to face facts.

Here's hoping I've taken that all-important first step in getting this monkey off my back. I'm Alex, and I'm an ice-cream-holic.

Hi Alex, my name is Michelle and I am a chocoholic. I have been tryingsince Thursday of last week to get this monkey off my back,I had 1 slip up on Halloween night and ate a mini milky way from my sons candy bag. Lucky for me I have posted on my fridge a sheet with all of the fat and calorie counts of those darn little mini halloween candy bars..so it helps to keep me in check whenever I go to grab one..did you know that 1 M&M has 4 calories? We all have our monkeys. I'm glad to see you are trying to get your of your back too:) Good Luck!

I too have an addiction... It is chocolate... Its official, I'm a chocoholic. At least Michelle tries not to have it. I actually have the bad sense to allow it. I can normally be happy with my one small daily allowance but every once in awhile it almost sends me into a choco frenzy and I turn into a berserk over it. I am getting a fill next monday and I am hoping it will help nip some bad snacking habits in the butt. I am a great bandster till about 6 pm and then its a free for all. Thanks Alex for inspiring me to fess up. Teresa

Hi Alex, Michelle, Leatha and Teresa... I'm Anne and I am a combo choco/ice-cream-aholic!!!! I even went so far as to join Lisa's 1 Fun food a Day Challenge... but I blew that the first day and haven't been honest enough to check back in and admit it!

Quite honestly, I think I have to avoid these things at all costs. 1 small serving just won't do. I will eat a whole pint of B&J's if it is available. I hate that it goes down so easily and the only thing stopping me is the stomach ache I have when I am done.

Alex, I am with you... my comfort foods use to be more around breads, pastas and chips. The breads and pastas don't have the same appeal, although I can still eat Mac&cheese and chips. These two I must avoid.

I am a mess and the scale is showing it. I am trying today to go sweet free... it is now 7pm, so I only have about 3.5 more hours until bed time. My fingers and toes are crossed... I want this monkey off my BACK!

Thanks for listening.

Hi guys,

I have been using and abusing Ice cream for a couple of months now. When my band moved I survived on it. Now that things are back to normal and I am supposed to be back on solids....I'm still doing ice-cream! This has to stop, I just dont know how to!

(I have also been eating chocolate every day, but I can control that one....I think)

Its out!!! thanx!

Oh Alex... I am right there with ya girl! I gave my hubby that sweet innocent "buy me ice-cream" look a few weeks ago after my unfill... he could not resist my charms. :( We purchased 3... yeah... that's right... three cartons of icecream! I can honestly say that I ate the majority of 2 of them. :P Sooooo... I told my DH... NO MORE ICECREAM IN THE HOUSE!!!!! TOld him he must be strong and resist my charms when I try to inlist his cooperation in obtaining the "goods". I go to Mickey Dee's and get a cone when I have a burning desire for icecream now. I don't even buy the "diet" icecream anymore... just leads to running to the store to buy the stuff that actually tastes good. :(

Darcy

Fat-free Fudgsicles for everyone! I'm with Darcy -- I can't keep cartons of ice cream in the house. Ben & Jerry are my two favorite guys, now that Ernest & Julio are out of the picture. I have a relative who got through his first year of AA by eating a pint of vanilla ice cream every night, and soon found himself hooked for life. (Thirty years later, he's still sober, but had a quadruple cardiac bypass last year. 'Nuff said.)

Ice cream is a perfect example of how the band is just a tool, not a quick and easy fix. We have to work on our food choices, and for most of us it ain't easy. Now I'm going out for a salad before I get carried away.