Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Magee hospital bariatric doctors

Hi everyone. I was wondering if anyone had their surgery done, or going through the process with any of the bariatric doctors at magee in Pittsburgh? The reason I ask, is because I am about done with all of my pre op tests, weigh ins, etc and found out that my doctor is moving away. I am very disappointed and now I have to pick a new doctor. I don't know who to pick because I don't know any of them. My current dr. did both of my Mothers surgeries (she had sleeve then went to bypass and had some complications.) So, I am very familiar with my current dr. I have, randomly, picked one of the other doctors, but I am having a hard time with the dr.s PA. Anyone have any input?

Hi there. I'm in the same boat. Just got the call last week saying the surgeon is leaving. My last appointment is in July before we schedule surgery. I want to switch to Dr Gagne so I called his office yesterday and the nurse said that they have a difficult time getting the records transferred from Magee if they even get them at all. I would have to start over if they didn't get them. I went to my PCP today and they will get them to me so I can get them to Dr Gagne. I liked Dr McCloskey but the office is difficult everytime I call. Dr Gagne's staff seemed much more helpful and courteous on the phone. They spoke with me for 40 minutes and went over my whole situation since I'm almost complete with preop stuff. I have heard great things about Dr Gagne. Good luck!

Where is Dr. Gagne located? I switched to Dr Hamad. I am done with all preop stuff except last weigh in - which is next week. But,i got a call from dr. Hamads PA and he said they require additional blood work, so I'm waiting on that script. But he also told me that the last few he submitted, from my insurance, have been denied and they are requiring 1 more weigh in. So, i guess, now I have to wait another month.

He is in with west Penn hospital which is the Allegheny Health Network. I still have my last weigh in for July and then I'm done. They suggested Dr Ramanathan for me but I don't know much about him other than what you find on Google. I have several comorbitities so I am always getting blood work done related to them/obesity. Almost all have been done through my PCP who is really supporting me and making sure I have a strong case for insurance approval. Nothing has been denied so far. Fingers crossed!

Hi tls1210. I was just checking in with you to see if you have moved forward with Dr Hamad? I met with Dr ramanathan and decided to stick with him. Everyone I asked said he was great and since I'm so close to being done it was easier to stay.

I have decided to stick with Hamad. They want me to do one more weigh in, which will be on 7/24,then I will be done with everything and will wait on news from insurance. I heard ramanathan is good, too. He was on call when my mom was in hospital a few weeks ago and she liked him

Good luck with everything! Do you have a date yet?

I used Dr Ramanathan, and he was really good. But more importantly, his staff was really great! Nice, helpful, answered even my silliest questions, returned calls, etc., and really prepared me for the entire process.

Good to hear! I don't have a date yet. When I went to my endoscopy I asked everyone about him and they all said he was great so I felt better about it. A nurse and a patient that was in the recovery area for her husband both had him. They both were very happy as well.

@@tls1210 I finally got approved and my surgery date is on the 14th! I was hoping they kept the 11th date to have a few more days to recover before our family goes to the lake but I will take it. Insurance took 5 business days to approve. Keep me posted on your progress!

That's wonderful! I had an appointment, yestetday, to meet Dr. Hamad. I really like her. I have my last weigh in on Monday, then they will submit everything to insurance. They told me it will take anywhere from a few days to 3 weeks for an approval/denial. Then surgery will be about 3 weeks after that. So, I'm thinking September. Please. Let me know how your surgery goes.

@@LaLaLucy I guess I'm not going to be too far behind you - I just got approved and my date is 8/24. Now, I am nervous. They wanted to do it on the 19th, but I made plans to go away, for a couple of weeks. When I had my appointment, they said it would take about weeks for approval and then a couple more for a date - so, I thought I'd get a vacation in before my surgery. I never expected approval to take 2 days. Keep me posted after your surgery!

That is awesome! I'm glad everything worked out for you. I will keep you posted. I have pre-op appt on the 5 th and my pre-op diet starts on 10th and surgery on 14th. It's going fast now!