Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

19 days and counting!

Hi Everyone

19 days till surgery. I am so excited yet feeling a bit overwhelmed. I feel overwhelmed at the thought that this could really work. After all the failed diets, fads, and programs. Is this really it?

I just cannot imagin. Well I can. I weighed 160lbs before my son was born, after that the weight gain didn't stop till I hit my hugh of 173. Today I am 165.

Anyone else feel that feeling of "this is a dream"?

I am so excited just...you.

Thank you to everyone who shares. It is inspiring?:P

i hope the time is passing well for you.

i am 6 weeks post op.. i just found this site yesterday and have been on it for hours.. :) its wonderful.

yes you will be nervous,, i am too !!! i guess my best advice is don't expect a miracle too soon. I did and have fell pretty rubbish over the past few weeks.

op went well, and post op diet was so hard i only lasted 1.5 weeks on watered down veg Soup.. its seems everyone is told to eat something different by their medical team .. my recommended watered Soup for 4 weeks and i just couldn't make it.

however, i went from watery soup to an egg sandwich... with no problems.. which wasn't great.. i got in a mood and 'gave up'. I have been eating pretty much the same as i have always eaten since then (well not completely but not far off .. i am controlling myself more but its via my head not because of my band)

i have just had my first fill and have no restriction.. but since i have joined this site i have found i am not the only one this happens to.

so my advice is .. go for it... but please don't expect to feel full all of a sudden.. hey you may do and that would be great,, but if you don't ,,, take my advice you are not abnormal (i was so freaked out this week thinking i was abnormal until i found this site). my medical team have made out that i am the abnormal one not feeling a difference in my body, which has made me feel rubbish and unmotivated...(i think they are pretty new at it) so its good to find this site and feel normal again.

good luck with it all. its a start of a long journey,, hey our past has been full of ups and downs on the scales so this has to be an up.

with happy thoughts

Welcome Kleta and Paula to LBT (Lap Band Talk)....This is a great site...I love coming here reading all the post....Everyone is really great at sharing their story and any info they have....If you have a question, just post it and someone will be able to answer it for you...

I was banded on 4/6/07..first fill on 5/17/07 and second fill will be on 7/3/07...and Paula, you are so normal...I have had little restriction with the first fill...I continue to only eat a half a cup, sometimes I could eat more, but I refuse to eat more than my limited half cup....I do this with all three meals, no in between Snacks....I drink my Water and try to work out with my weights and steps.....I am not always good at that...I have lost 37 lbs.....I still have a ways to go, but I will make it...

Again, welcome to the site....

I am excited. I guess the thing I am most worried about is infection. I can deal with the risks and complications that can happen down the road...but I am concerned about the incision/port getting infected. I don't know anyone personally. (have met and talked with 15 people or so) through support groups and friends and none of them have had problems but there seems to be alot on the website.

Any input of encouragement?

thanks for the welcome 'big as life' , i am obsessed with this site. ha ha .. i love it . 37lbs that is loads.. well done mate. have you ever lost that much before ?

Kleta, i cant tell you how easy my surgery was. I was in pain when i came round from the op, but was out of it most of the day on morphine.(was fab :D). My tum was sore but only when i moved to get up to use the loo, the worst thing was the sick feeling de too morphine and anesthetic,, but they gave me meds for that . the looked after me so much !

they also gave me antibiotics just in case, i think this is routine in the uk

and post op,, not even a hint of infection.. my scars have been wonderful. the top cut was under the middle bit of my bra which rubbed a bit (god i could never go without a bra i would prefer the rubbing:biggrin1:) and it opened a bit, but the nurse just put some tape on it.. and it was cool.

of course i worried if i sneezed and coughed i would split open ,, think i have seen too many movies :D. but i have been so happy about it all and healed so well.

if you like i am more than happy to take some pics and post them on the site (i would normally be ashamed to show my body but i reckon this site is my new family), just say if you want a laugh,, i mean look :)! i reckon in a years time you won't even see the scars, they will fade away to nothing.

my surgeon told me he changed his gloves 3 times during surgery to ensure the band was sterile. maybe a question to ask your surgeon. the surgery only took about 1.15hrs, so he must be a quick changer :D.

Thank you so much for all your input. I needed it. Sometimes encouragement and re-assurance is all we need.

How did the doctor close your incisions. Staples, glue, disolvable stiches?

How far post op are you?

Hi Kleta

i am 7 weeks pop tomorrow, 4 weeks post op and i was almost back to normal and went on a back packing holiday ,and no problem carrying my pack.

i have had a little numbness by the wounds but that is almost gone.

the biggest scar, on my left side, where they do most of the work and put the port in , and the bottom scar where the camera went in were stitched on the inside with a bit of glue on the outside, they had little waterproof dressings on so i could shower,, after a week the dressings came off and the scars are just a line, its amazing no stitching scars. the other 3 little scars were glued, which i kinda came off in the shower or i picked it :embarassed:..

the big scar is only just over an inch (on my left side) the camera scar is only about half an inch and the 3 small ones (where the tools are put in) are tiny just about a centimetre (you can see i am english i go from metric to imperial :)

please feel free to ask anything

take care

What band do you have?

What is your start weight and goal weight. Height, etc.

I woud love to have an online buddy.

Do you have My space?

Hi Everyone

19 days till surgery. I am so excited yet feeling a bit overwhelmed. I feel overwhelmed at the thought that this could really work. After all the failed diets, fads, and programs. Is this really it?

I just cannot imagin. Well I can. I weighed 160lbs before my son was born, after that the weight gain didn't stop till I hit my hugh of 173. Today I am 165.

Anyone else feel that feeling of "this is a dream"?

I am so excited just...you.

Thank you to everyone who shares. It is inspiring?:confused:

Good luck to you, kleta.

May I ask, are you a very short woman? I am just kind of amazed at getting banded at 165lbs and that your high was 173lbs.

Well, the band certainly is an excellent tool for all of us to use, whether we are grossly overweight (me :hungry: ), or moderately overweight. Welcome and hope that your surgery goes very well and you have very little discomfort!

I didn't even notice that. I must have been thinking post op goals. :-)

I weigh 265.

:confused: