Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi everyone, tomorrow I will be 3 weeks post op and I was wondering if anyone else at this stage was just incredibly tired and feeling major regret? Does the tiredness go away? All I heard for months while researching this was how much energy people had after surgery. I'm not experiencing any of that.

It'll come back. The low energy is temporary due to the low calorie intake the first month or so. I ran 5 miles yesterday and then went shopping and out with friends (8 months post op). And I didn't feel like getting off the couch 3 weeks out from surgery. Hang in there.

Yes. I had a regret-athon, too. I had lost 26 pounds pre-op and gained twelve pounds in the hospital thanks to the IVs. By the time I lost that, I hit the third week stall. I thought I was going to be that one person who could not lose weight after a sleeve. I was so discouraged and so tired. It was not until I started to eat regular cooked foods at 4 1/2 weeks that my energy started to come back. You should notice some good changes shortly.

Hi Kimmie,

You will be tired for a few more weeks unfortunately. However, with the weight loss you will notice that you will have more stamina. Just be sure to get your Water and Protein in and take your walks daily. You will notice that you can walk faster and for a longer period of time as time passes. Your energy level will come up as your calorie intake increases. Just keep doing what your surgery team recommends and you will be fine.

Yes!!! the sooner you get in all your fluids and can have Protein Drinks the sooner it will pass now!

Kimmie,

When was your surgery? I had mine in 5/18. I have no energy. I feel so weak. I walked only a few days because I have no energy. I was having esophageal spasms and could not tolerate fluids so I was getting dehydrated. I am able to drink the last three days. I had a full Protein Shake today. Hopefully I will get some energy to move now. Are you walking daily? Protein? What stage of diet?

I am in the soft foods stage, I had my surgery may 18th. I have a hard time eating, I tried eating refried Beans today and it hurt so bad, my Drs nurse said everyone progresses differently and not to be alarmed. I eat lots of cottage cheese and avocados that I smash up.

Just make sure you eat small bites ans slowly and it shouldn't hurt. I use a baby spoon. I will be 8 weeks out Wednesday and at three weeks I felt all the things you're feeling. Yes it does get better and from now on you'll feel a little better every day I bet. I feel pretty great now.

Lol- yes I was tired too and I didn't think I should be but people kept reminding me- even though it's laporoscopic it is major surgery and your body needs to recover. Stubborn person I am I went back to work the following week but only did half days. The week after that was full time and I would go home and fall asleep for an hour. I also experienced some pangs of regret but squared my shoulders and decided since it was an irreversible surgery (and I truly do not want it reversed) I was going to look at what could be done and do that instead of wishing or wanting something else. I'm about 6 weeks out and am feeling much better! It's coming! But let your body have the rest it wants...and when it's ready enjoy the return of energy ;)

It is very common. It hurt me sometimes to eat and even to drink, but each day got better. Make sure you take your Vitamins and get your protien in. I also went to my PCP for a B12 injection. I'm good now, 10 weeks out, and you'll get there too. The reduced food intake led to some of my regret, but that quickly disappeared. The best to you!

I was very tired. My nutritionist looked at my food diary and I was not getting enough Protein. I made that my goal and I was amazed at how better I felt. Protein first is my life motto now. It will get better. You had major surgery and your body is in a state of confusion.

Hey, I had mine same day. Yay! I felt really tired the first week but that's all. I think u just need to get in your Protein Shakes. I take Premier Protein because it has 30g. I try to drink Two per day. That gives me the best boost. I find that I no longer think of food as providing energy, it's more of a chore so I try to focus on the Water and shakes. I eat egg whites, Beans, Tomato Soup, mashed potatoes, avocado, and salmon. That's about it. Good luck.

Check your blood pressure; do you have a BP machine? Plus, you might not be able to hydrate as needed just yet.

My blood pressure (usually elevated a bit) dropped to 80/50 two weeks after my VSG. I had to suck on some potato chips to just give me a little salt and get my pressure up a bit. But I didn't swallow them. Really, I didn't! :-)

PS: It all gets better!

Edited by Dr-Patient

I too was extremely weak and tired for several weeks after I'm at 3.5months post op sleeve I was told to try watered down apple juice and low fat Peanut Butter which did make me feel better had serious trouble getting fluids in during that time as well it gets better with time I also found out that I had low potassium and I was put on a RX potassium pill this doesn't mean that's what's happening with u tho follow up with your nutrishionist and dr and do what they say hope u feel better soon