Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi there! I am newly banded...almost to the solid food stage. I was wondering if anyone could tell me how they do with popcorn? I mean...the movies will never be the same if I can't have popcorn!!! LOL I don't want to try something like that without the benefit of some experienced banders.

In fact, I am really apprehensive about starting solid food at all. Please let me know of any "easy" foods that you found to eat. How is tuna fish??

I appreciate any advice!

:hungry:

I am 4 weeks post-op and I started my solids foods with chinese egg foo yung - I chewed very well and slowly and it went down well. I am able to eat popcorn in small amounts if chewed well. It is not recommended, though. Some people can't do popcorn at all. I have found I cannot do the pad thai noodles at all - bummer.

You will know which foods won't agree with you. Start carefully - and chew chew chew well. Best of luck to you.

Oh yum!!! I love egg foo yung! I will have to try that for sure!

By the way...I forgot to ask about Peanut Butter???

Rachel....way to go! You have lost a lot your first month!!! Got any pointers for me? Are you exercising? How did you do so well???

I have always tolerated popcorn even after good fills. In general you will find that crunchy foods can be tol more than doughy foods. But be aware of how many calories you consume!!

I don't have any problem with Peanut Butter, but not too much or too fast. A Couple of TBSP at the most with a banana or apple :yum:

hey congats i was banded in march 2007 was 318 now 250. i would not eat popcorn.sorry not gonna happen.find a new snack to nibble on at the movies. good luck.

Haven't tried popcorn yet but I can't wait to! I too was REALLY scared to try new food. I'm 4.5 weeks post op and the only thing I've found that makes me really stuck is soft doughy type things. The easiest food for me is tuna but fish makes other people stuck so it really depends.

popcorn goes down really easy for me. I make a lot of it for the kids in the air popper at home.

You know I went to the movies last night and for the first time in my life did not have any popcorn. I really thought it was going to change the whole experience. Nope. I am still alive, still had fun, and not battling the sodium intake that would have occurred. It is one thing to air pop some popcorn and put some fat free butter spray on it, or make a low fat bag of microwave popcorn, but theater popcorn is so bad for me that it is just not even worth it anymore.

I'm doing fine with 3.7 cc's after my first fill. Love popcorn but the salt doesn't love my body.

I was scared to try my first popcorn, so I passed on it when we went to a movie a week or so ago.. then fiance went to movie with my dad a couple days later, so I asked him to bring me home a small popcorn. I wanted to see if I could eat it in the comfort of my home.. Since I have had very few problems with ANY foods so far.. not surprisingly I had no problem with it.

Thanks for all the replies...they have been very helpful and reassuring. I still have not tried popcorn or peanut butter...waiting till after first fill and visit to doctor...but am looking forward to it.

I am doing really well on grilled/blackened fish and mashed potatoes...very good! Of course, I will cut back on the mashed potatoes when I can start eating other veggies....especially a salad...I miss those!

By the way....can anyone tell me how to get my pic to show up under my user name???? I have emailed the site, but gotten no response, yet. It shows up when you look at my profile, but not in my postings...on the left side.

Thanks again!!!!

I can eat popcorn just fine.

Being banded is not all about never having a treat and you can have whatever you like in moderation, but you really do have to work on breaking food associations like that. I mean if you go to the movies after dinner for example, do you really need to eat popcorn? Have popcorn at the movies by all means but do you need it every single time?. You need to get to a place where you can enjoy a movie without eating.

Jolly Time makes an AWESOME single serving popcorn with 3 grams of Protein, 8 grams of fiber and only 90 cals. I dig it. You might check it out and pop your own for the movies, or for a snack in general.

For me popcorn doesn't fill me up at all. I have excellent restriction and still, I could eat an almost endless amount. That's why the single serving bags are so great....