Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New member in Atlanta

Good morning!

I want to get banded and am just starting out on my journey - I'm still doing research, but this forum is fantastic!

I have a gyno appointment on the 28th where I will be talking to her about my PCOS and getting banded. I know there is a clinic/doctor near her location (John's Creek area, northeast of Atlanta) and I hope she'll have recomendations.

Questions:

- Good doctors in NE Atlanta?

- I've got Aetna HMO, but if I need to I can get on my husband's United Healthcare - anybody have experience with either?

- What are your experiences talking to family and co-workers? I'm hesitant to tell just anybody what I want to do until I've already done it and have results.

Suggestions for starting out? Is there anything you wish you'd done at the very beginning? Thanks!

- What are your experiences talking to family and co-workers? I'm hesitant to tell just anybody what I want to do until I've already done it and have results.

Suggestions for starting out? Is there anything you wish you'd done at the very beginning? Thanks!

BA Donk... I can only tell you what my experience is the past few days... my neighbor and CLOSE friend is an OR nurse who had a baby in FEB and still looks 8 months pregnant, she did Weight Watchers about 2 years ago (when I was pregnant) and now has to start all over. It took her 2 years to get 40 pounds off and is so upset with how people treat her with looking pregnant still... SHE IS 100% against me. She thinks I am not big enough... trust me I am. She is going to see the surgeon with me (only cause she works with him and can intimidate him.. lol) but still doenst agree and makes comments al lthe time.. .I ingnore her... our other friend... she is saying if it works she can guarnetee her husband will be begging her for one... my brother who I thought would laugh and tell me I am wasting my money and time... he is all for it... wants me to be happy and healthy. Other friends, skinny and overweight think I am nuts, so I stopped sharing. When i am ready i might tell... but my point.. don't expect everyone to be ok with your choice but don't worry it's not their choice and its your body....

Hello BaDonk,

I live in the Atlanta area, also. I am scheduled to have my surgery July 5, 2007 in Gainesville, Ga done by Dr. Richards. I am currently on my two week diet (pray for me!) It took me two years to get to this point. My journey has been interesting beginning with the insurance I had at my old Employer (BCBS) did not cover it. Then I found out my husbands recent employer did cover it, but his job changed insurance companies and the new company did not cover it. During all of this time my husband eventually got a better paying job with another company and the good news again was his insurance with his new job carried it! I was soo excited, but then what prolonged everthing was CIGNA wanting 6months of doctor office visits with my PCP following me on a diet. I visited my PCP about 2 months to go along with 4 months I was being followed at a weight loss clinic a couple of years prior (was told by the sugery center the old doctor visits would be ok) After submitting my information I was denied approval. It took about two months or so to find out I was denied. In the letter they then said they needed 6 months of consistent visits to my PCP following me on a diet and they needed a letter from a nutritionist and my PCP, so there goes another 6 months of me going to my PCP. After that another hold up was getting my PCP to write the letter for me. That took another month or so. I had given up when I was expericing all of the hang ups, but after finally getting the letter from my PCP saying she followed me on a diet and based on my BMI and weight she recommend I had the surgery and the letter from my nutritionist(no problems there.) I was approved and I now have a surgery date (7/5/07) and I am on my third day of Pre-Op dieting. As far as support from friends and family. I have support from my husband and sister, but when I told my best friend I was thinking about having the lap-band two years ago, she was soo against it and I have heard my dad make negative comments about people having weight loss surgery so I haven't told him nor my mom nor my best friend (I will one day when I am ready) There is enough emotion that I have experience to tell people I know are against it and hear the negative comments all the time. It is totally up to you, but do what makes you feel comfortable. Tell someone though you will need to have a support system of some kind. If your husband supports you then that is great! If his insurance United Healthcare covers it and yours don't then yes get on his plan as soon as you can. (Call your carrier and his first to make sure before switching) If either your carrier or his cover the lap band then make sure you find out the specifics on what they require then once you find that information out. I know you said you were looking for a good doctor and I would recommend Dr. Richards in Gainesville, GA (obesitysolutions.com). Go to this website to see when they are having the next Informative Meeting for weight loss. I just checked the next one is Wednesday, June 27th @6:30pm Lanier Park Hospital. I say go for it! You may run into some bumps in the road, but don't give up and keep a good notebook of all of your information. I hope this has helped in some way! GOOD LUCK!

I am new to this forum, have not been "banded" and am going to an informational meeting regarding the lap band Tues. June 26. I am nervous, but know I need some help with controlling my eating so I can live a longer, healthier life. Would someone be kind enough to tell me what the journey is like to begin with. What is the 2 week diet before the surgery? how long does a person have to wait to have the surgery? Are there some periods of vomitting or diarrhea like the bypass surgeries? How long are you off of work? I am in Minnesota. Would love to hear from someone!