Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Sleeve after a few yrs? Any serious issues?

So I am summiting to insurance on May 20th once I finish up with all my requirements. This past week I met a women who is literally dying from her gastic bypass surgery. Now I realize that there are risks and everyone is different but I wanted to know how people are going 5-10 years after surgery. If anyone can let me know that would be great.

I realize she is probably an isolated case but she had it in 2003 and she is in her mid 30s and they give her maybe to age 45 to live. She gets monthly blood transfusion, she had a hysterectomy, and now her kidneys are failing. She didn't have the sleeve but I guess I am just wondering. My doctor said that is a low percentage and I believe that. However, I still would like some feed back!

Thanks!

You will be hard pressed to find 5-10 year VSG veterans. But when I was researching my options, I concentrated on partial and total gastrectomy patients. They have been removing part or all of people's stomachs for trauma, cancer and ulcer treatment for over 100 years. Other than certain nutritional deficiencies, there are no statistically significant health problems attributed to gastrectomies even 20-30 years postop. As for the nutritional issues, you simply need to continue your Vitamin regimen postop as well as get annual bloodwork done to monitor your levels.

As I'm sure you know--we always have to remember when we hear the "horror" stories about people who are as you say "literally dying" from their bariatric procedures is that we do not have, by any means, even close to the whole story. Did this person fully comply with the strict requirements of the bariatric process immediately following surgery, and change her eating habits and lifestyle since 2003? Did this person have pre-existing conditions that strongly contributed to her health problems? etc etc etc.

There is now good, solid 5-year data on VSG, (although it has been performed here in the U.S. quite commonly in the last 10 years).

As with everything in life, there are always exceptions in surgical settings, but we can tilt the odds of lifelong success so far in our favor by being totally committed to the process and most of all remaining totally honest with ourselves.

Just FYI, I am a four year post-op sleever and doing great! I attend support groups regularly and often see people who are 3-5 years out (VSG) and 5+ years out (usually RNY). Almost without fail, the ones who have come back that have gained back 30-50+ pounds are the ones who did not use that first year after surgery to work on permanently changing their eating habits (getting rid of the processed starchy carbs, planning meals, eating at home, etc). The ones who worked hard that first year to make those changes are generally maintaining their weight loss.

As I'm sure you've heard already (and you'll probably hear bunches of times more), in so many ways along this road, it is just not healthy to compare ourselves to others...

Will everything be "sunshine and roses" if you "play by all the rules?" Not even close. But, I try to always remember that every choice I make -- the choice is ALWAYS in my hands.