Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone here over 50?

I was banded in Mexico, because I was self-pay. I have a follow up doctor upin Superior, WI., about an hour and a half from me. I am very glad Ihad the band. Iwas on a two week liquid preop diet. Started at 324. Went into surgery at 309, and am now down to 298. My first fill is scheduled for July 18.

I was really surprised at how small the incisions are. Still have a little soreness in the middle, but nothing bad. Currently trying out different things to eat. Sometimes certain foods don't work yet, and I guess I'm pushing some things too soon, but I figure I shouldn't be trying that stuff yet anyway.

Just wanted to let you know, I feel it was well worth it.

Hi all. I am 58 very soon to be 59. I had the lap band on 4/9/07. My bigest is ..I am ashamed to said.. was 358. I started a diet 2 yrs ago and lost 50 lbs. But could not stay on it, so I gained back 20 lbs. Then I heard of the lap band and asked my ins. company if they would pay for it. They made me diet for 6 months, I lost down to 303 on the day of my lan band. I have lost down to 284 but I am not restricted and can eat anything. So as of last Wednesday I am pigging out. I feel like crying!

I will be banded a yr. next mo. and I've lost 100 lbs. You are never too old for this surgery if it gives you a new lease on life..which it did for me.

djhickm: why don't you go for a fill. If you can pig out, you are far too loose. Also, pigging out once is not the end of the world. The band is only a tool to help you keep your eating in check. You will have your days where you could have done better. Don't give up just resolve not to do it again anytime soon. Doddie

Thanks Doddie63. I will get in a better mood. I have gone for 3 fills in the last month and half, and don't have any restiction. I am not going to give up but I am down today. Sorry for be a wet blanket.

You are not a wet blanket. All of us at one time or the other have experienced the pain of slipping back into old habits. That is why the websites are so special. We are not judgmental just want to help and support.

I have trouble where I live finding someone to give me a fill. I have to fly 3000 miles at a cost of $1,000.00 so I too have my down days. I am far too loose but money doens't grow on trees so I have to make do with my 3 ccs until I can fly out again. My weigh is very slow in cominf off. Doddie

WOW! That hard, I wish you well. I am very lucky that my fill station is not far at all. Almost 59 yrs old and this is my first time for been in a chat room or whatever this is. It's great, thanks for the help.

djhickm: You are posting messages. There is such a thing as a live chat room but you will need someone to chat to on the other end. You can sign on and "talk" to someone instantly as they respond instantly. With posts, I can post, log off and you will still get my message. Chat room are like you and I sitting in a livingroom chatting only we type.

Take a look at the top border and you will see "chat". Click on that and see where it takes you. Doddie

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I have been visiting the site for months since I began my journey last fall. I am due to be banded on July 16. I have my last visit with my doctor on June 26 and then start the pre op diet on July 2. By the way, I forgot to mention that I am 59. I have been overweight all my life and have several co-morbidites. I want to take charge of my life again before I turn the big 60. I know that it will be a long journey since I have over 100 lbs to lose. I am looking forward to this new chapter of my life and have a very supportive family. I find this site extremely helpful and eveyone is so supportive. Their positive attitudes and encouragement has been very comforting for this "old fart". I will defnitely check out the "over 50" thread. Best wishes to everyone who is taking this journey.

Good for you! I moved to Arizona after 50 years in the Seattle area, I miss it! Keep us posted on your progress. This site was a great help to me especially right after surgery for all of those little concerns. Don't be afraid to ask any question the people on here are so supportive. Take care!
Hi: I am 63 coming up 64 in August and was banded Feb. 01/07 and wished I had done it sooner. I was 303 when I was on pre op had the surbery at 288 and now am at 269. I thought I was the oldest fart (and believe me you do just that) until I talked to a lady 77 years young. Proves nothing is too late. Doddie

Welcome Darlaur Devera & Doddie - I am going to call you the 3 D's..

I got my date 7/17 - Had my shrink visit this a.m. - she thought i was ok for surgery (fooled her:rolleyes),,,

I am really excited and cant wait.. But i am still looking forward to my last 10 suppers :hungry:. Had pizza tonite (grandkids came over to swim so got them something they would like. and oh yea i jogged in the pool for about 40 minutes), I want white gravy over rice really back - so am going to have to fry up some chicken or pork chops and make some this weekend.. I eat this kind of food about once a year - but knowing that i have sugery and Protein diet for a long time to come (don't think i get food until about 6 weeks post op) I want it now ...

Hi all. I am 58 very soon to be 59. I had the lap band on 4/9/07. My bigest is ..I am ashamed to said.. was 358. I started a diet 2 yrs ago and lost 50 lbs. But could not stay on it, so I gained back 20 lbs. Then I heard of the lap band and asked my ins. company if they would pay for it. They made me diet for 6 months, I lost down to 303 on the day of my lan band. I have lost down to 284 but I am not restricted and can eat anything. So as of last Wednesday I am pigging out. I feel like crying!

djhick

I agree you need a fill.. It's one day at a time we "Know" that the band isn't the magic pill we all want "but i think we wish that it was"

We are still going to have struggles - but look at thin people they still eat cakes pies etc but they just don't do it all day and every day - on piece and that's it...

IndioGirl- how do you post the link for this sight to your address bar? Where is the address bar ? Thanks! Anne

Do you know where your menu bar is ?? right below that is the address bar (where you type in www.whereyourwanttogo.

you copy this link

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/how-weight-loss-people-over-50-a-21117-new/

by selecting it (shit key and arrow key highlighting it) or cliking your left mouse key and hold it down and roll over link to select) then hit control and the C key together ( or right click your mouse and coopy) then put the cursor in the address bar and hit control & V key or right click mouse and hit paste.

Hope this helps. I am better at showing that telling how to do something..

or go to search - it above - here is what it look like clck on searh and type in how is weight loss people over 50 and that should take you there

Home UserCP Gallery Journals Chat Memberlist FAQ New Posts Search menu_open.gif vbmenu_register("navbar_search"); Quick Links menu_open.gif vbmenu_register("usercptools"); Log Out

nav.gif

I will be banded a yr. next mo. and I've lost 100 lbs. You are never too old for this surgery if it gives you a new lease on life..which it did for me.

Fan Frickin tastic:clap2: You are inspiration

Count me in too! I'm 53, and will be 54 on August 4th, so I'd love to have my surgery scheduled around that date. What a great Birthday present that would be. My surgeon's admin. ass't. is waiting for the psych report ( he passed me, they just need the report for my file ) then I go in for my appt. with the APRN who schedules the surgery.

So, for now it's just a waiting game, but I am so excited I could spit.

And for particulars: Age: 53 Weight: 238 Height 5'2" - with, High Blood Pressure, High Cholesterol, Pre-diabetic, GERD, Barretts Esophagus, Enlarged liver, Stress Incontinence and to top it all off, they can't prove my sleep apnea because I've never been in REM sleep either of the two sleep studies I did, but I am nighttime hypoxic, so I have a real noisy compressor and sleep with 2L of oxygen. Oh, and I have a hang nail.