Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

anyone here over 50?

Hi, I'm new here and would like to know if this surgery is also good for an old fart like me. I'm menopausal, been fat my whole life (currently 255 and 5 ft short) and my MD asked me if I had considered lap banding. I was shocked that she mentioned it. I have no co morbidities yet, all my values are normal so far, but I am so tired of carrying around this weight. I have two active grandkids and I get exhausted after a few hours with them. Sometimes I chalk that up to age but I also know it has to be my weight.:faint:

I am embarrassed that I walk so slowly, when walking with a group of people I'm always last. I have a lot of anxiety about all things surgical so I'm doing my homework.

Thanks in advance!

:biggrin1: Hey I am 46. Old fart too!!!! I am full bloom in hot flashes and my surgery is scheduled for the 27th of June (yea) and the dr took me off my premarin 3 days ago!! :heh::heh::heh: I wonder what it will be like to live with me for a while!

Whoa there you two! I'm 60 1/2 and I have finished all my tests. Just two more nutritionist's visits to go and hopefully, surgery this fall. (I'm 213 and 5' tall)

I'm so tired of carrying this weight around--and all the baggage that goes with it, so I'm being proactive! My parents (220# and 210#) died from kidney failure and congestive heart failure and both were diabetics.

So you're allowed to be self-centered and do this for yourself! (Plus your grandchildren will reap the benefits of seeing "Gramma" some years longer!

Go for it, girl!

Welcome

There is a thread : How is weight loss for people over 50? That's where the cool gang hangs :)... I am in pre-band mode -doing all the doctor visits - i'm 52 244 5'3 -- Hope to be banded in August... The people here are really great giving you the info you need to make your decision. Pros & Cons... Read & Post and you will get answers.

Good luck on your journey...

Hi! I'm heading on 60 in September and today had my last visit with the Dr. before surgery Monday 6/25. I haven't been nevous until today, now it really seems like reality. I was worried that I had gained and to my surprise I was down another 6 1/2 lbs.

My first granchile(boy) arrived last week and I want to be around to see him grow up so this is so important to me. Pre-op diet is phase one of south beach but at this point I think I can handle anything that will get me to my goal.

You are only as young as you feel and I want to feel the best I can.

Hi Diana

I am 52 and going on this journey too. I have finished my testing and classes and currently playing the waiting game (insurance). ;) My niece had the lap band put in a year ago and swears it's the best thing that has ever happened to her. She is slim and beautiful!!

I am not looking to look 30 again, but like you, just want to keep up with the kids and grandkids. I have 4 kids ranging in age from 29 to 14, and two sweet grandbabies. We raise horses so I don't have time to feel bad. Anyhow, I have 2 co-morbidities, sleep apnea and a letter of recommendation from my orthopedic surgeon because I have had both knee replaced and extra weight weakens the prothesis.

I have done a lot of reseach as well as reading this memo board and feel like this is the perfect fit for me.

I am glad to see that I am not the only old fart that is getting the band. "Old gals rule"!!

I am 57 and was banded May 10, 2007. I was 226 at my highest and am now at 197. I am already feeling much better and off some of my pre drugs. My energy level is much improved already. You are so fortunate to not have any co-morbidities. Glad that your doctor mentioned it, that means she or he will be supportive. Good luck

Join us in the over 50 thread!

I'm 58 and was banded mon 6/18...yesterday. a little gas shoulder pain....but so far so good>

Carlotta in Washington State

I'm 58 and was banded mon 6/18...yesterday. a little gas shoulder pain....but so far so good>

Carlotta in Washington State

Congratulations !!! That's great !!! I'm jealous - I am still a pre-bander - hopefully August.. Still doing all the doctor visits.

If you are up and on the computer you are doing real well.

My best to you on this great journey of ours...

Congratulations !!! That's great !!! I'm jealous - I am still a pre-bander - hopefully August.. Still doing all the doctor visits.

If you are up and on the computer you are doing real well.

My best to you on this great journey of ours...

Greetings,

I will be 52 in August and have started my journey to a new me.

Where do I find the over 50 room?

Blessings to you.

Anni

Hi everyone,

This is my first post. I have been visiting the site for months since I began my journey last fall. I am due to be banded on July 16. I have my last visit with my doctor on June 26 and then start the pre op diet on July 2. By the way, I forgot to mention that I am 59. I have been overweight all my life and have several co-morbidites. I want to take charge of my life again before I turn the big 60. I know that it will be a long journey since I have over 100 lbs to lose. I am looking forward to this new chapter of my life and have a very supportive family. I find this site extremely helpful and eveyone is so supportive. Their positive attitudes and encouragement has been very comforting for this "old fart". I will defnitely check out the "over 50" thread. Best wishes to everyone who is taking this journey.

Greetings,

I will be 52 in August and have started my journey to a new me.

Where do I find the over 50 room?

Blessings to you.

Anni

Hi Anni

Welcome - this place is great for info... It's addicting :scales:

The thread is called How is weight loss for people over 50?

Here is the link- copy and past into your address bar and it should take you there (i always have a hard time finding it - but once you post to it - anytime anyone else post you will get an email notice and i just copy & paste into my address bar.)

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f17/how-weight-loss-people-over-50-a-21117-new

Again Welcome... It's 8;30 here in California - and i have been on this computer all night - so talk to you later - and thanks for the blessings i need all i can get :scalesno:

Good for you! I moved to Arizona after 50 years in the Seattle area, I miss it! Keep us posted on your progress. This site was a great help to me especially right after surgery for all of those little concerns. Don't be afraid to ask any question the people on here are so supportive. Take care!

Hi: I am 63 coming up 64 in August and was banded Feb. 01/07 and wished I had done it sooner. I was 303 when I was on pre op had the surbery at 288 and now am at 269. I thought I was the oldest fart (and believe me you do just that) until I talked to a lady 77 years young. Proves nothing is too late. Doddie