Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

To all those getting their 1st fill

Is anyone going to the 1st fill seminar on July 23? Thats my first fill. I have soo much time to wait. Also were people sneaking things here and there before their first fill bc they knew once the fill started it was a done deal?

I have my port right under the bra area. Im obsessed with touching it. You can totally feel it but it does not stick out. He told that is could when I lose lots of weight and we can deal with it at that time.

Its weird to know you have this object just sitting there inside. Thats why I keep touching it. I had my surgery 2 weeks tommorow and the only time I notice it is when I bend to pick something up.

So overall I do feel pretty lucky.

Hi DonnaD and Doddie63,

We met on June 14th - the day of my surgery. Everything went really well. I stayed the night and have had no gas pains or otherwise. I took off the steristrips today and the incisions are healing wonderfully. I was terrified to have scars but they are really quite small (except the port scar).

Donna, we talked about the port site when we met. I asked Dr. Yau right before my surgery about a preference to have the port in the bikini area instead of the sternum area (btw, he said it is free to move the port but that no one has ever asked him to move it). What he said was that he places it there instead of on the side because of the ribs and movement on your sides, that the chances of it flipping increase when it's on your side. Since there is hardly any movement of the sternum (the center of your body), that he feels that's the safest place.

Also, remember me mentioning that I had a preference for the AP band and that I would talk to him? We discussed it and after he told me he's only placed 6 AP bands, I decided to go with the Midband. He doesn't do Lapband (the original) anymore. He did mention that there is not enough statistics on the AP band and that he recommended the Midband, so I went with his recommendation.

Donna, just like you, I can feel my port already and I'm only 6 days out. I think the Dr. places it there and near the skin to help with the fills.

I'm really happy so far and I hope the rest of the people on June 14th at TLBC are doing okay, too.

Hi Bejeweled. Really happy everything went well with you and that you remembered me way out here in the boonies. I did not need a repair for a flipped port, my port is just on an awkward angle. Nancy has told me how to tell my doctor out here how to position his fingers on the port and the angle of the needle. Hopefully everything will work out.

Remember to take it slowly, don't rush going into the next stages of your food. Make sure you are ready. My goal is to go two weeks without PBing and so far I have made ten days. Sip liquids don't gulp, small bites, chew, chew, chew that is what I keep telling myself. I also have a timer for when I must stop eating.

Keep posting. Really want to hear how you are doing.

Doddie

Hey susansilver, i probably saw you there, but didnt actually meet. Im sure you know who i was...the youngest one there. How is everything going for you 1st fillers. I hadnt felt ANYTHING before the fill...i was eating fine...not i see what everyone who got something stuck was saying. OUCH, the gas, the hickups....it sucks! Is this how its like forever, or does your stomach get used to it and the gas subsides or what.

Hi Rob,

No, I was there in the morning and my seminar was all women - so I'm sure you were not there!

I think what happens is that we get used to the band! We learn to chew and eat properly and then the gas subsides. I have the worst gurgling!!! But LAst night and today I was able to eat small amounts and CHEW, CHEW, CHEW and it was much better. Remember that the band is an instrument that takes time to learn how to play!

Hi Bejeweled. I asked it this was you on another site. I am glad everything went well and glad you decided to join us here. I really like having a face to put to a name. Take it easy and try to keep to the diet plan of liquids, mushies then solids. Hopefully we will meet up again at a fill. All the best, Donna D

Thanks, Doddie63 and DonnaD! It was nice meeting you the day of my surgery, too.

Doddie63 - am really glad that your port has not flipped and that you can still get your fills.

Donna - since we are pretty similar in weight, I'm really interested in how you will be progressing. My first fill will be on July 30th and the second one on August 14th.

Today is one week since I had the surgery and I am not hungry at all and have no cravings. I'm having my coffee in the mornings. I drink 1/3 the can of the Protein drink at a sitting, I have popsicles twice a day, and I have the Jello. I have bottles and bottles of Propel that I refill with Crystal Light. I bought the Jello single containers and have those. I haven't felt like having any Soup or anything else. I'm expecting this to change. There are so many food commercials on TV that I have to change the channel when they come on. Don't want to be tempted.

I also picked up a chewable multi-Vitamin that I'm taking in the morning. It tastes awful. My next trip to the drugstore I'm definitly picking up one of those Gelatin ones (or one of the Flintstones chewables maybe).