Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello. I am awaiting my surgery date....should be getting the call any day now. Dr. said it would be next month (July.) I am also nervous and even had thoughts of backing out the other night but I am going to keep putting one foot in front of the other and embrace this journey into the life I have always wanted but never was able to find. I do have some questions about recovery. I only have 4 days off after surgery....is this unrealistic?? The girls at work said they would let me take it easy when I come back....nothing strenous. That means I will get to do a lot of sitting and resting at work. I am not wimpy and have had 2 c-sections and didn't have "extreme" pain with my c-sections. It was well controlled with percocet and after a few days I didn't need the pain meds anymore. I remember having some gas pain but it was relieved with a suppository. What do you all think? Did anyone return to work 4 days after surgery?

Its nowhere near as limiting as a c-section - I didnt find my one very painful, but like after a caesar, even though you're not in extreme pain, you have to take it easy. I felt well enough to go for a short walk the next day (3kms) and potter around the house, but it was a week before I felt my usual energy and strength.

I'll be honest my recovery sucked but I also came down with the stomach flu 5 days post op. Now 12 days post op I feel great. If you did well with a c-section this will be a piece of cake. I too almost backed out several times and when I had the flu I wanted it out. Now I am so glad that I made the decision to have it done and probably the decision that will add years to my life. They have already taken me off my blood pressure med. I've lost 11 pounds and although it's been a transition, I've done it, I have noticed that I no longer roam around the kitchen looking for the "something". Instead I roam outside and look at my flowers or something other than food that I have been focused on for too many years. Hnag in there and do it. Hope this helps.

I had some complications (lots of swelling - couldn't get anything in) but I felt fine. I was tired for about a week but as far as pain goes - by day 3 I was off all meds and comfortable.

HOWEVER, everyone is different and you should take as much time as you can. If you work a traditional M-F type of week, try to schedule your surgery on a Wed, Thurs or Fri so that you have the weekend as well as your 4 days (6 in total) to get your energy up.

Good luck!

Hi Katherine-

It took me about 4 days to start feeling back to normal (mainly because of gas pain). It will probably depend on your job as to how well you will do. Things that caused me pain was lifting my two year old in and out of a crib and bending over was kind of painful at times because of swelling and the port area being so tender. I work in a hospital and even though it is a desk job I am up and down all day and my port area hits the edge of the desk alot. So I am a little sore by the time I am done with my shift.

My biggest piece of advice I can give anyone... get up and move right after your surgery and get that gas out. Do all the walking and farting you can! From most people I personally know, that can make or break your recovery.

Thanks for all the replies. I am hearing that the gas pain is the worst...that can be painful...I remember having gas pain after my second c-section but I am thinking that the gas pain after the lap band must be worse because they actually blow air into your abdomen for the sugery....ahhhggggg!!! I am a nurse and do post op care quite often...we suggest walking, walking, walking, and even suppositories to get things moving. What about prune juice? Is this OK to drink prune juice post op or too thick? ( I am thinking immediate post op.) Prune juice works great. I am going to do my best to get at least 4-5 days off after surgery. I work with great women, who are more than willing to let me take it easy. They said they would give me all the "sit down" work for a while. My girls...who are little...will have to understand mommy can't pick them up for a while. Thanks for all your advice and if anyone has any more advice...please feel free to reply. I am interested in all you have to say....this site has been a wealth of information.

Hey there! A close friend of mine just had the band and she started taking GASX a week before surgery each night. She also walked lots after surgery and said she had really no problems at all. I thought that might help you prepare. I hope all goes well!

I never had any gas pain. I never had any pain at all. I had my surgery on a fri. and mon. was a holiday. I went back to work on tues.

Everyone is different, but I can tell you I had 2 C sections, and you can't even compare the two. There was so much pain from my incision with a C section, and I wouldn't have even known I had surgery with the band, other than I had the little marks on my tummy.

hi lilly73, i went back after 4 days. i had the surgery on a saturday went back wednesday. believe you me, if you can suggest what some docs. say, 1 week then take it easy. your body is getting used to something foreign in it. i understand total healing at this point!!!!! just take it easy when you return.

I had two c-sections and let me tell ya that the band is a breeze compared to that. Your in and out of surgery quick and go home the same day. Take some gasX and get a heating pad. The gas pain was my only problem. I would try to have the surgery close to a weekend so you have more time. Don't back out....it is so great and I had my first fill and it was a breeze as well. This is the best thing I have ever done for myself!!