Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am having a tough time with my Protein and Water in take. How much and how often do you personally recommend? I know it varies, but I am trying and feel like I am failing. Thanks

Hi Stayce5,

It honestly depends how lucky nag since you are pot op. In the first few weeks it is really hard to get to your Protein and Water goals because you are still very swollen

Realistically I started regularly hitting my goals by 5 weeks post op. The whole Protein and Water thing really is the most critical thing for you to focus on. As soon as you are able you need to get to your goals but if you are just a handful of weeks out, that makes it hard so you do the absolute best you can do.

How far out are you at this point? Which surgery did you have?

4 days post op and the bypass should i be drinking 2 ounces every 15 minutes? i guess that is what i am tryin to ask.

Stayce5, I am 7 days post op and it is still impossible for me to drink 2 ounces every 15 minutes, my belly hurts if i drink 2 ounces at a time and I have to take a break for about 30-40 mins. I try to do about one ounce every 15-20 mins (Not regularly) I am at present doing 35-40 ounces a day. I spoke to my bariatric centre about this and they told me that although it is less, it is not too bad and I have to slowly increase it as much as I can tolerate.

So dont worry about failing, you will get there.

Hi I'm 3 weeks post surgery. To make it easier about Water and Protein intake:

1.) you schedule food intakes every 2

1/2 hours no more than 3 hrs.

2.) wait half an hour after eating to

drink Water and 1 hour after eating

for Protein. And continue water

intake and STOP 1/2 before next

food or supplement is

schedueled.

**** Remember: water doesn't stay in our stomachs it goes thru to intestines and you start "slurping sips of water" pause cause going to fast at first can make you feel sick but little by little you will pick up at what pace and even temperature you like your water ... I personally in 3 weeks have been able to drink my water more cool then room temperature but not totally cold. And after switching to puree and liquids I have been able to drink 2 oz protein at a time, the chewable Vitamin I prefer to grind it with a pill grinder rather than suck it whole.

I am drinking 3 1/2 to 4 bottles of water at this early stage ( I've always loved it) but also I plan my exercise for the hour where I've had my protein and it makes water intake easier too

Hope it helped you

Try for 1 oz (I used a med cup) every 15-30 minutes. Water is essential You do not want to dehydrate. It takes a while to get up to 64 oz. Protein is important but not as much as water is for the first week or so. Do what you can. It gets a bit easier every day...Post-op RNY 9 months. The first couple of weeks are tough. Best wishes on your journey.....remember Protein Shakes count as liquid towards your daily goal.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches