Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Sensitive to the Sun?

Have you found that you are real sensitive to the sun since your surgery? We had company last Sunday and I was sitting outside with them. I got a little cold so I pulled my chair over into the sun. I never got what you called hot. I felt a few hot spots from the sun. When we went inside I told my husband I thought the sun did a number on me. It burnt my stomach through my underwear, jeans and tshirt. By night I had huge Water blisters forming on my lower stomach. They later burst and then got infected. Went to the doctor and he said it looked like deep chemical burns. I had on old jeans (too big) that I had for a long time, so they had been washed a lot....I wear my tshirts long...so it burnt through three layers??? My bare arms and neck was red but not blistered. It is not my medication because I am not on any new medications.....the ones I am still on...I have been on for years. I am nine months out. Have anyone else had this problem?

I suspect sun poisoning and the reason you stayed in the sun too long, was because of the weight loss and what many of us feel now which is cold alot. I live in New York and it's been a very cold winter. I got down to South Florida late in February and usually I stay out of the sun because I don't want to burn but this time I laid out and tried to soak it up like a battery because the chill went right to my bones.

I think you just need to be aware that you have to be careful in the sun and wear sunscreen and not stay in the sun too long.

Good luck and feel better.

Yes it is sun poisoning aka photo allergy. This happened to me for the first time in my life when on vacation last month.

It is not a burn but an allergy, that's why it can appear on covered areas.

In my case I was wearing insect repellent so I have been assuming it was related to that but who knows?

In my case my eyes swelled up too.