Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What was your first consulation like?

I went to a seminar the other night. I guess i had in mind that the first consulation with the surgeon or his staff was just like an office visit with normal copays. It turns out that the surgeon I want to use--he has awesome credentials and no mortalities, and great data supporting regarding his patients--charges a $425.00 adminstrative fee to get the process rolling. This is not covered by insurance. It does cover the nutritionist and psychologists consultations. Somehow, I don't really think this is the norm.

I wanted to walk into this slowly and meet with the team first to get all of the facts. I especially wanted to meet with the psychologist to make sure I am ready to make this commitment. I feel like there is no middle ground this way. If I proceed and decide I am not ready or want to wait, I'm out $425.

It just seems to me that you odn't get enough information at the seminar to make an informed decision, but you shouldn't have to pay an exorbitant amount of $$ to begin the process.

This is a really scary process, and I wanted to get there nice and slow. I worry that I might be a cheater even with the band. I have heard a lot of people on this site who still complain about hunger. I'm also in denial that maybe I can do this without the band.

I'm just wondering how the beginning process/first consultations worked for others. Any words of encouragment would be helpful.

HI eyespy--I think I did have to pay a small consultation fee, but not as much as yours. And, the visit to the nutritionist and psychologist were seperate. I had to see the psychologist twice, actually--it was $100.00 for each visit, and then I had to pay $125 for her report to be sent to the doctor! I don't recall how much the nutritionist was--that went through my insurance. I agree that is a lot of money to shell out if you are not really sure you want to do this. I was sure after the seminar, and researching on the internet, that I wanted to do this. And, yes, you can cheat the band--it's not a miracle fix, it's just a tool, but if you are willing to follow the guidlines, it can be a wonderful solution. I am so happy I made this decsion, and would do it again in a heartbeat. It has truly changed my life. Good luck with your decision.

Hi-I went to a seminar back in January, which was free. I went to my first Bariatric Center consult about a month ago. It cost $100 plus my $20 co-pay. It included a video, nurse consult, nutritionist and psycholgist consult. I see the surgeon this coming Friday, and at that time they will collect $250, which will be put into an account to go towards any more pre or post off office visits. If I don't use all of it, the rest will go towards any hospital or Drs fees that arent' covered by my insurance. The hospital co-pay will be $200. I'm sure that there will be more fees somewhere, but for me, my health will be well worth it. I have United Heathcare Insurance. The best advice I can give you is research, research, research! One more thing-Have faith!!! Hang in there, and good lick!

That's a crazy amount of money for just a consult. Why won't your insurance cover the psych and the nutritionist? Maybe they would be willing to split that out? Sounds weird to me....

I just went to my first consultation this past Friday. I had to pay a $30 co-pay for the surgeon. I've made an appointment to see the nutritionist and psychologist in August. These are separate charges. One is $150 and the other is something like $100. I have United Healthcare also. I'm looking forward to August! Good luck to you eyespy but I'd look for alternatives too if I were you. $450 right up front sounds a bit pricey to me. Administrative fees?? Is that something like the filing paperwork fees they charge you for an extra bank statement? haha

I also had to pay out of pocket for nutritionist and psych. but not until I actually saw them. The only thing I had to pay for the first consultation with the Dr. was my insurance co-pay.

I paid something like $300, but it included my consultation, an appt. with a nutritionist and an appt. with a psychologist. I didn't pay upfront. Once I was approved and agreed to the surgery, it was rolled together with the costs of everything else.

But the paperwork said if I didn't have the surgery (for whatever reason), that I would be charged for those three appointments.

Your location may be a contributing factor. I'm in NYC where everything is expensive. My pre-op psych consult was $275, I think.I think the nutritionist was $150, but I really don't recall. The surgical consult was covered by insurance, but there were plenty of fees that weren't.

I don't think it's a scam -- but it does seem like a lot of $$ if you're not sure you want to proceed. Since it's an all-inclusive fee, does it make sense to ask if there are refunds on a portion of the $$ if you meet with the surgeon and decide not to see the psych or the nutritionist?

Overall, I'd pay it. The band is awesome and it sounds like you have a lot of faith in your practice group.

I too was alarmed that I had to pay $500 just to be evaluated--upfront and non-refundable. First visit was a 10-minute consult with the surgeon for which I was later billed $265!!

The $500 included the mental health eval, 2 meetings with the dietician, and an info session with the nurse. The program materials implied that the dietician and nurse meetings were one-on-one, but they turned out to be small groups.

I chose this program because it was a Bariatric Center of Excellence. I was further annoyed that my surgery was done by someone other than the program surgeon (which I didn't know was even a possibility). The prescription I was sent home with was authorized by a physician I had never heard of. I assume that he was a resident.