Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

pre-fill distress?

Hi,

I am hoping some of you who are ahead of me on the journey can offer some sage advice! I had my surgery a month ago and don't get my first fill for 2 more weeks.

At first, I lost about a pound a day. When I went to pureed foods and then soft foods, I gained back about 6 and since lost 4 of that. For the last 12-14 days, I've not budged on the scale. I'm working out like crazy and eating just about the right amount or Protein my doc recommended.

Did anyone else stall before the first fill? I've noticed I'm hungry more often and I know plateaus are normal for all weight loss, but this is really distressing me. I'm a little worried that when I go for my fill, they will be freaked out that I've not lost a bunch of weight. I've heard so many people say "the first 12-18 months is your window to lose..so don't blow it!" I feel like it's passing me by!

Just checking to see if others were in this boat at some point!

Thanks!

Rose

I think that happens to just about everybody. I am a little ahead of you I will be at 5 weeks tomorrow and am doing the exact same thing. I was told by my nutritionist not to worry about it if I gained once I went back to mushies and solids. Your doctor is not going to be upset and neither should you! You should just let yourself heal, take it easy, cause once your healed and ready to go thats when the busting your butt comes in! Best of luck to you, hope this helps...

Any weight lost before your first fill is a "plus". You're still wide open and able to eat just like you were before you got your band. Try to concentrate on your Banding habits...drinking all your Water (but not w/foods), exercising regularly (something you enjoy), and eating properly. Are you on solid foods yet? If so, Proteins first, vegetables, then (if room left) carbs. You need to be on solids before you get your fill. Relax and continue healing. Your band is there. Best of luck to you!

Pre fill stage is for healing and not weight loss..I wish more doctors would stress this with their patients. I was told by Dr. Ortiz that any weight loss is a plus during the pre fill stage. The band is designed to be filled to work affectively, if it is not filled it does not work to the best of its ability. However there are both men and women who have made it to their goal weight without ever getting a fill. Don't worry ..the weight loss will happen..my 2nd fill has really helped me alot and you just have to keep telling yourself this is not a race but a journey. It will take time & you will have many bumps in the road along the way but you have to be patient. This week I'm having a little plateau..it happens to all of us ..Hang in there

I am also 5 weeks post op and I just spoke to my doc's office today to schedule my first fill. I have lost 10 pounds and I fluctuate up and down since I started solids. I can eat as much as I could before the surgery. The P.A. that I talked to said that all this is normal and I can get my first fill after Nov. 5th. I wouldn't worry about much weight loss until you get your first fill.

Rose, you're not alone and yes, EVERYONE goes through this exact process. It's normal and expected. If you're worried about it, you may be comforted to realize that a lot of doctors won't give a fill to someone who is still losing at that rapid post-op rate. There would be no point!

A "stall" pre-fill is absolutely par for the course. And it's what your doctor is expecting to see. Don't worry; you're fine. :rolleyes:

I havent had my surgery but I am so glad that you bandster know what is normal. I feel so much more comfortable about having the procedure done because all of you are here. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!!

To add to all the other great advise: Gastric bypass patients DO have a 'window of opportunity' for weight loss. Lapband really does not, so don't worry yourself about beating the clock. It is just not something you have to do with the band. Now aren't you glad you got the band instead? :banana