Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else have a diva sleeve?

@@Grateful_Love thank you! Exactly, while I feel good and my labs are good I'm just going to listen to my body and not put too much importance on the calorie number. I don't want to push my stomach and be uncomfortable when I feel good.

@@VSGmary it sounds like your doing good. Have you found a good beef Jerky that doesn't have a lot of sugar in it? I've started to make my own now because I couldn't fine one. It's fun to experiment with so I'm enjoying it. My sleeve likes it :)

If anyone else makes their own Jerky and has a low sugar recipe send it my way!

@Elode re low sugar Jerky, I found some today at costco - I bought a mix of Pork and Beef and from US and Australian brands, the US Brand - Golden Island is Pork Jerky Korean BBQ style has 8.4g Protein with 10.2g sugar (92 calories per serv). The Australian brand - Mariani Beef Jerky -10.6g Protein with a low 2.6g sugar (67 calories per serv)! There is another brand I purchased from my local supermarket - called Local Legends Original Beef Jerky that has 13.2g protein with 5.7g sugar (86 calories per serv).

Looks like the Mariani Beef Jerky is the best out of all three, however I haven't tasted it as yet.

I have tried both Golden Island Pork Jerky - Korean BBQ Style (today), I really didn't look at the amount of sugar in it when I purchased it, I was just excited to get some jerky hahaha and the Local Legends Original Beef Jerky - both are very nice taste wise and satisfying. While they are all low in calories, I will be making better choices in future.. but damn the US Pork Jerky is so good! maybe ill treat myself some every now and then LOL.

Unfortunately I don't know how to make Jerky myself, its not something that considered a regular snack type of meal here in Australia. however having said that, im guessing its getting more and more popular for me to have found them both in my local supermarket and also at costco (not surprised it was there though).

@@jenbaby75 I don't graze but if I'm eating 6-8 times a day like he suggested it would be like grazing.

Hi, @@Elode ...

I dunno if eating 6-8 times a day is grazing or not. Seems to me that grazing would be nibbling throughout the day.

FYI, I'm 7 months and one week post-op and am now eating 1,200 calories/day (and hitting 90-100 grams of Protein most days). I ate about 500 calories Month 1 and about 800 calories Months 2-4. At the beginning of Month 5 (at my bariatric team's suggestion), I started eating 1,000 calories and at Month 7 I went up to 1,200 calories.

Every time I've increased calories, my Protein levels naturally go up. And many days now, I'm getting in 5 healthy veggies and fruits. This is working for me. I'm 80 pounds down with 5 pounds to go 'til goal.

Like bikerchk, I didn't want to wind up with a low metabolic rate to manage during maintenance. I'm hoping to maintain (eventually) on 1,600 calories. We shall see. :)

BTW, I was also sleeved in Springfield, but not by your doc. :) And yes, I'm thinking we should meet. :)

Edited by VSGAnn2014

@@VSGmary Ha! Thank you! I will have to go online and check them out. We don't have a costco here unfortunately. I had to make my Jerky in the oven since my Walmart didn't have any dehydrators so I'm on the look out for one now. I ended up using Splenda brown sugar (a small amount) in place of the real brown sugar. It turned out really good. I thought it might save some money making it my self but my kids and husband ate about 20 dollars worth in two Days so I'm not so sure about the money saving part :/

Sounds like you are doing very well. But I do agree with bkrchk that if you let your body get used to such a low caloric intake, it will be difficult to maintain on higher calories once you get farther out. I made it a point to get my calories up as soon as possible. I had switched to full fat dairy, more whole grains, more fruit, etc by 6 months out....I was near surgeon's goal weight at that point and still ended up dropping another 22 pounds and Maintenance has been fairly easy at 1400-1600 calories. I was using products with real sugar, not artificial sweeteners from the get go because artificial sweeteners hurt my sleeve for the first 4 months. Even after I could tolerate them I still go for the real sugar options because they taste better.

As for what you can eat now, that will likely change. There was a huge difference between the volume I could eat at 6 months compared to 10 months. And 15 months is different than 10. As for "grazing", if eating 6-8 times a day is considered grazing, then I am definitely a grazer. I eat when I'm hungry and that's every 2-3 hours. And it may just be a few bites of something. The only time I actually sit down for a real "meal" is when I go out to eat with friends which is only like 2-3 times a month. The rest of the time it's mini meals/snacks all day long.

And yes, I get a belly ache sometimes, too. There are certain things that I know cause irritation and other times I can't figure out what the culprit is. It scared me at first..."is there something wrong?!" But for me it's just normal. Rolaids, A warm cup of camomile tea or digest ease tea usually works to calm my tummy. I too, am all about the Protein shakes and Quest bars. I know I wouldn't be getting enough Protein without them. Or at least I'd have to sacrifice my fruits and veggies in order to do it.

But based on your labs, how you feel and your weight loss progress, I'd say you are rockin this!

Edited by Kindle

@@bikrchk I'm going to try to fit in a few Snacks. They say not to snack. It's confusing at times. I do track everything I eat. I've heard other people who didn't have hunger and it came back...who knows? I made some beef Jerky last night so I've been eating on it a little. I couldn't find a good jerky that wasn't full of sugar so I made my own. It's good!

Here is a great low carb/no sugar addd jerky: route66beefjerky.com

I order from them all the time. Shipping takes a while but it's cheap for what you get. With no sugar added it's a very dry jerky so a 1 lb bag is ALOT and it will last you quite awhile.

@@Mike4132 awe thanks! I will def check that out. I have some meat marinating in the fridge right now and my husband brought me home a dehydrator! Time for round 2!

I forgot to add that Green Chili is the best flavor IMO.