Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

problems associated with lap band?

Been having problems will give some backgrounds, I do have an appointment scheduled with my doctor in 2 weeks, with work and having to travel 4 hours one way this is the soonest that would work for me, but just wondering if anyone has experienced these same symptons.

I have had my lapband for about 8 years, started out at 260 currently at 192 this is the lowest my weight has been for a long time, reason it is not lower is all my fault. About 1 year ago I started experiancing extreme heart burn and went in and had an UGI, all was good with the band, had all the Fluid out of my band at that time. Now within the last 2 months or so I have been experiancing pressure when I eat. Its kinda like pressure one gets from a sinus infection, head pressure, even my teeth hurt. I get gasy feeling pressure also, I get that in my stomach and in my shoulder like I got after my lapband surgery from the gas they used. Sometiems when I need to have a bowel movment I get naseated and feel like I need to vomit but I haven't been able to vomit since I had my lapband put in. This feeling passes once I can go to the bathroom. It's not like being constipated. In the last week just sometimes I get feeling real aweful with the pressure feel and need to vomit. I can't associate it with eating any paticular time of the day or with what I eat. I have gone back to the basics of chewing everything to mush before I swallow and that hasn't helped either. In all my time with the lapband I have never had any issues with food getting stuck are anything like that. And with all my fluids out not sure if it might be a slipped band? Or some other problem?

I will request a UGI if the doctor doesn't suggest it, which I'm sure she will. Just really curious if anyone has had any issues like this?

Thanks for any advice!

Kay

@@KayWhit I read your post a few times...and what you have written is some cause for concern. If you have no Fluid in your band right now.

I would defiantly have the upper GI done and/or Barium swallow to ensure that the band is still in the proper place. I have had some issues with my band akin to the ones you mention above, usually when I am actually experiencing a sinus or upper respiratory infection.

Right now my band is SUPER tight, I have a head cold and I am feeling sick and nauseated. Mucus is plugging up my stoma and it's difficult to swallow and even drink Water right now so I am going for a small unfill rather then continue to try and ride it out.

When I am like this I often feel left side breast under breast discomfort which I think has to do with the diaphragm since I'm sure that I have probably stretched the pouch by trying to eat and drink as normal (even to excess I will admit due to stress as well) and being sick.

Follow up and let us know how your doing OK? I am headed to the Dr. this afternoon for a small unfill..hopefully to get home before the snow starts blowing!

I've had my band for 10 years and for the last 7 years I have been living with the exact pain you describe. I have had 4 UGI's and EGD and colonoscopy and just recently had surgery to remove scar tissue from around the port. None of these things revealed any problems with the band or port or offered any possible reason for the pain. I have just been told today that the only way they can come up with to get rid of the pain is to remove the band. My insurance won't cover a conversion since my BMI is 25. I'm very interested to know how your journey goes or if anyone else has advice for me.