Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

8 days post-op and MISERABLE

I am 8 days post-op. I am having a hard time getting enough Protein Shakes in. I sip Water all day but I bet I am not getting more than 30oz a day. I can't even drink an 11oz Protein shake over the course of the whole day. I am still bloated and have gas from the surgery. I walk all the time and a little comes out each time. I am getting weak, my eyes are glassy and red and a bit sallow and I am having a hard time concentrating at work. I have lost over 10 pounds just since my surgery. My tongue and roof of my mouth feel weird. I had horrible reflux that I just started taking Pepcid for. I am just ready to feel normal!!!! Anyone else have similar problems?

With this many issues I would call your doctor's office and let them know what is going on. They are there to help! Hope you feel better!

I am just ready to feel normal!!!! Anyone else have similar problems?

I think it's safe to say nearly all of us had similar problems so soon post-op. The struggle to get your Protein and Water in is REAL, unless you are one of the lucky few who have no trouble with liquids post-op. I promise it gets MUCH better. It was probably about the month and a half mark where I really started to feel like a human being again. Now, almost 6 months post-op, I feel "normal" 99.9% of the time.

If you are worried you might be dehydrated, you should call your surgeon's office and possibly visit the ER. Dehydration can be very bad for you.

Try drinking with a straw. The only reason they tell you not to is that it causes gas pain in some people. I wasn't getting enough Fluid either until I accidentally drank an entire cup of juice with a straw about two weeks after surgery. No gas pain, and I felt SO much better. I am 16 months out and I still drink with a straw. It eliminates the unpleasant feeling that you have immediately after surgery when you drink Fluid without a straw and helps you get in plenty of fluid when otherwise you may have issues.

AFternoon...

It took me a good 2-3 weeks to even feel normal. That weird feeling in your mouth could be Thrush. I had that and so hated it. I had to be put on two medications to clear this. The pain from the gas took, like it seemed forever, to get rid of.

When I had my surgery in November, I did not drink any Protein shakes, my stomach said NO ... I did drink every 10 mnutes a sip of Water which kept me hydrated. I cried alot because I lacked the energy, which no one let me know would happen. You will get over this hump, I promise.

I, do however, agree with one of the statements above. Please contact your surgeon's office.

That weird feeling in your mouth could be Thrush.

Oh yes! I wanted to mention that as well. I got thrush from the liquid antibiotic I was on post-op. There are home remedies if you have a mild case, but otherwise you should see your doctor about getting a prescription. Use a flashlight and look into your throat. If the back of your tongue and sides/top of your throat have a thick white coating, it's probably thrush.

Twinhappy,

I myself am 7 days post-op today... Have you tried different temperature liquids? I have found that room temperature liquids work best for me right now. I also had a hard time with the premier shakes I loved pre-op, so I have switched to Syntrax Nectar (Fuzzy Navel) i bought at Vitamin Shop, it is much easier to tolerate, its more like a juice... Could be the dairy your having a hard time with. I also have been doing 50/50 Apple juice and Water which god down well (I know juice is empty calories) but you need to stay hydrated at this point.

Hope you feel better...

I am 8 days post-op. I am having a hard time getting enough Protein shakes in. I sip Water all day but I bet I am not getting more than 30oz a day. I can't even drink an 11oz Protein shake over the course of the whole day. I am still bloated and have gas from the surgery. I walk all the time and a little comes out each time. I am getting weak, my eyes are glassy and red and a bit sallow and I am having a hard time concentrating at work. I have lost over 10 pounds just since my surgery. My tongue and roof of my mouth feel weird. I had horrible reflux that I just started taking Pepcid for. I am just ready to feel normal!!!! Anyone else have similar problems?

I have a question. Why are you back at work after only 8 days post-op? That seems way too soon as you body has been through a major operation and needs time to heal. You need to rest and let it do so. Of course follow your surgeons advice for moving around, etc..but I agree that you should call your surgeon. Sounds like many of these problems could be resolved.

Thank you so much to everyone who has responded. Today is a new day and I actually feel a lot better than yesterday. I still have some gas to work out of my system but I am walking a lot to get rid of it. And I ate Soup yesterday! Granted it was about 2 tablespoons worth but it felt so good to actually "eat" something. Thanks again!