Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just got banded-Post Op diet question??

Hi all

I was banded 5 days ago. My question is regarding the consensus on the immediate post op diet.

My doc put me on a 2 week diet of nothing but Clear liquids, and only 120cc of that. He defines Clear Liquids as broth, SF POPsicles, SF Jello, crystal lite. Other than the 120cc of those items only 3x per day with each "meal" spread out over 1 hour. IOW, 30cc every 15 minutes.

It worked fine for the first 3 days but Now that I'm 4-5 days out I'm finding this IMPOSSIBLE to follow. What types of post op diets were you all put on?

I was just banded last Tuesday. I'm on an the following diet:

Beverages: Water, ice chips, Decaf tea, crystal light, sugar free coolaid, sugar free lemonade, and other similar no sugar drinks

Juice: clean juices that are mild such as cranberry, apple or grape, dilute them 50% with Water

Milk: skim only

Others: sugar free or no sugar added popsicles, or sugar free apple sauce

Soup: low sodium broths, low fat strained cream Soup

Starches: thinned cooked Cereal, cream of wheat, cream of rice, malt-o-meal

Supplemental: whey isolate Protein shakes (need this for the protein)

you need minimum of 40 fl oz liquids per day

no carbonated beverages

sip slowly, walk a lot

no more than 500 cal/day

minimum of 50 gms of Protein per day (shakes)

Every doctor is different, but this works quite well for me

Good luck

I was just banded last Tuesday. I'm on an the following diet:

Beverages: Water, ice chips, Decaf tea, crystal light, sugar free coolaid, sugar free lemonade, and other similar no sugar drinks

Juice: clean juices that are mild such as cranberry, apple or grape, dilute them 50% with Water

Milk: skim only

Others: sugar free or no sugar added popsicles, or sugar free apple sauce

Soup: low sodium broths, low fat strained cream Soup

Starches: thinned cooked Cereal, cream of wheat, cream of rice, malt-o-meal

Supplemental: whey isolate Protein shakes (need this for the protein)

you need minimum of 40 fl oz liquids per day

no carbonated beverages

sip slowly, walk a lot

no more than 500 cal/day

minimum of 50 gms of Protein per day (shakes)

Every doctor is different, but this works quite well for me

Good luck

Thanks Joe!

Yeah, I'm beginning to suspect that my doc's diet is a bit overly restrictive. I'm not trying to be a whiner, in fact, he's a close friend of mine. But, the diet prescribed is ridiculous IMHO. I'd kill for a cup full of cream of wheat, malt o meal or a Protein shake. Literally there is nothing even semi solid in his prescription for the first two weeks. And, no protein whatsoever which floors me.

I'm interested in hearing from some others b/c I plan to make a case with him on Monday. I'm freaking starving!

Hi Podna!

I am almost two weeks out now. Here's my diet:

Week 1:

*Clear liquids including Water, SF Kool-aid, crystal lite, SF/decaf tea, broth, SF popsicles, SF Jello, etc.

*Skim milk, 1 percent milk, or soymilk

*Protein supplements

*SF Carnation instant Breakfast or other meal supplement drink

Week 2:

*Everything from week one and foods of a pureed consistency. (Baby food, yogurt, pudding, creamy Soups (strained or blended), oatmeal, cream of wheat, etc.

Week 3:

*Soft foods including tuna salad, cottage cheese, ground meats, Pasta, bread, etc.

Week 4:

Regular diet

Hope this helps! Good luck.

Shauna

Hi Podna!

I am almost two weeks out now. Here's my diet:

Week 1:

*Clear liquids including Water, SF Kool-aid, crystal lite, SF/decaf tea, broth, SF popsicles, SF Jello, etc.

*Skim milk, 1 percent milk, or soymilk

*Protein supplements

*SF Carnation instant Breakfast or other meal supplement drink

Week 2:

*Everything from week one and foods of a pureed consistency. (Baby food, yogurt, pudding, creamy Soups (strained or blended), oatmeal, cream of wheat, etc.

Week 3:

*Soft foods including tuna salad, cottage cheese, ground meats, Pasta, bread, etc.

Week 4:

Regular diet

Hope this helps! Good luck.

Shauna

Thanks, SElaine!!

That sounds much more manageable for a few weeks! I don't want to be a non-compliant patient and go off label but these responses will help me make a case with my doc to lighten up a little. I really don't think I can make it thru another week of this.

I was banded on May 31st and my diet is as follows:

Day of Surgery only Water

4 days - Clear Liquids - about 1 1/2 cup per meal

- broth or consomme

- apple grape or cranberry juice

- electrolyte drink

- 1 clear sugar free unsweetened popsicle as a

snack

10 days - full liquids - 3/4 cup per meal

- milk

- pudding or yogurt

- strained cream Soup

- Jello

- unsweetened juice

- blended Protein shake

14 days - pureed foods - 3/4 cup per meal

- cottage cheese

- hot cereal

- minced canned tuna

- pureed mashed sweet potatoes or rice

- pureed Beans, chicken, carrots, fruit

- or anything else you can puree

slowly introduce solids after the 14 days puree are up.

I was banded on May 31st and my diet is as follows:

Day of Surgery only Water

4 days - Clear Liquids - about 1 1/2 cup per meal

- broth or consomme

- apple grape or cranberry juice

- electrolyte drink

- 1 clear sugar free unsweetened popsicle as a

snack

10 days - full liquids - 3/4 cup per meal

- milk

- pudding or yogurt

- strained cream Soup

- Jello

- unsweetened juice

- blended Protein shake

14 days - pureed foods - 3/4 cup per meal

- cottage cheese

- hot cereal

- minced canned tuna

- pureed mashed sweet potatoes or rice

- pureed Beans, chicken, carrots, fruit

- or anything else you can puree

slowly introduce solids after the 14 days puree are up.

Thanks Kwalla! 3 responses now and all more reasonable than my doc's diet. He's on vacay for a week but I'll talk to his nurse on Monday.

Well not to stop that train rolling but my surgeon's diet is very similar to yours. I'm 10 days post op and I feel your pain (hunger) but there are differing opinions on immediately post op eating. There have supposedly been some studies that state if you go really gradually there is better healing and more long term success. However, many on here have less restrictive diets and do fine. Here is what I was supposed to do:

Week 1

Clear liquids only, sipped in small quantities throughout the day

broth, Jell-O, Water, tea, coffee (no milk or cream) and Protein shakes (3 per day)

Week 2

Same as week 1 but add creamed Soups and skim milk

Week 3 and 4

Same as week 2 but add "mushies" ie cottage cheese, cream of wheat, yogurt, mashed potatoes all fat free or with no added fat.

Week 5

Same as week 4 but add Protein 1 meal at a time. IE Monday 1 egg at breakfast then mushies the rest of the day. Tuesday 1 egg at breakfast, tuna with low fat may at lunch, mushies for dinner, etc.

It's hard but I'm sticking to it because I don't want to stretch my stomach or get stuck. I've been stuck, I've frothed - don't want to do it again. Ever. It's really not fun (I didn't overeat, I was swollen after surgery and it happened on 1 oz of chicken broth).

You know what's best for you, none of us can say what's right. Just follow what you know is right.

Well not to stop that train rolling but my surgeon's diet is very similar to yours. I'm 10 days post op and I feel your pain (hunger) but there are differing opinions on immediately post op eating. There have supposedly been some studies that state if you go really gradually there is better healing and more long term success. However, many on here have less restrictive diets and do fine. Here is what I was supposed to do:

Week 1

Clear liquids only, sipped in small quantities throughout the day

broth, Jell-O, Water, tea, coffee (no milk or cream) and Protein shakes (3 per day)

Week 2

Same as week 1 but add creamed Soups and skim milk

Week 3 and 4

Same as week 2 but add "mushies" ie cottage cheese, cream of wheat, yogurt, mashed potatoes all fat free or with no added fat.

Week 5

Same as week 4 but add Protein 1 meal at a time. IE Monday 1 egg at breakfast then mushies the rest of the day. Tuesday 1 egg at breakfast, tuna with low fat may at lunch, mushies for dinner, etc.

It's hard but I'm sticking to it because I don't want to stretch my stomach or get stuck. I've been stuck, I've frothed - don't want to do it again. Ever. It's really not fun (I didn't overeat, I was swollen after surgery and it happened on 1 oz of chicken broth).

You know what's best for you, none of us can say what's right. Just follow what you know is right.

Thanks Cyndilou!

I don't want to go hog wild but would like a little mushy and to treat my body to a little protein shake or something.

Did your doc specify that anything with flavor (broth, Jello, crystal lite) be reserved for a MEAL ONLY and then only 30cc every 15 minutes for a total of 120cc?!

PLEASE follow your own surgeon's instructions, or at least talk with him or his nurse before you modify your diet. Each surgeon has his/her own reason for prescribing the post op diets the way they do. It's so easy to come on here and see what everyone else is doing, and think that it's ok to do that, when you really need to talk with your surgeon about it, since he's the one ultimately responsible for your care.

PLEASE follow your own surgeon's instructions, or at least talk with him or his nurse before you modify your diet. Each surgeon has his/her own reason for prescribing the post op diets the way they do. It's so easy to come on here and see what everyone else is doing, and think that it's ok to do that, when you really need to talk with your surgeon about it, since he's the one ultimately responsible for your care.

Like I said early in the thread, I'm collecting info to make my case with my doc for a very slightly expanded diet after 1 week post op. If the answer is still "no" then I'd like to understand 'why' a little better.

I don't want to do anything that will cause unnecessary problems for my band or it's future/long term success. That said, I'm probably getting about >100 calories per day with zero Protein and that seems extreme considering I'm quite hungry and having zero problems.

Check with your surgeons office befor making changes to your diet instructios.

<p>I will be having my surgery on june 5, this is the diet my surgeon put me on. </p> <p>Pre op 2 week diet full liquids</p> <p>Post Op Clear liquids for 3 days then full liquids for 2 weeks in small amounts (Need to get that Protein in)</p> <p>Next 2 week pureed</p> <p>Next 2 week soft</p> <p>Then gradually introduce new foods some may be tolorated and some won't.</p> <p>A clear liquid diet was only to be for several days that is standard for any one. Because it does not provide the nutrition necessary to sustain the functions of the body for long periods of time.</p>

Hi I was banded on the 25 th April and I had a liquid diet only for 4 weeks then mushy foods for 2 weeks so I have ust started on normal food but I felt varying what liquids I had made me feel much better!

Keep going it will be worth it!