Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bouncing back after IV iron

I'm set to have my first IV Iron infusion on Monday. Wheee! I waited to see the hematologist for four months while my iron was in the gutter, and I feel so awful that I haven't been able to work full time for months. I've been mentally foggy, walking into walls, my hands and feet buzzing, the whole bit. Since October I've been taking 300mg of Feramax a day and have got my iron up from 11 to 15, so I'm feeling slightly better than I was and not passing out randomly, but still not feeling well at all and falling asleep at my desk. For those of you who have done the IV iron, how long did it take you to bounce back and feel sort of normal again? I have to do three consecutive weeks of IV treatments but I'm hoping it won't take me a full three weeks to start feeling human again. Work wants me back full time and I think their patience grows thin on the medical leave as I've been getting some hostile looks from my boss. I really miss my brain. I currently have the thought capacity... SQUIRREL!!

I'm set to have my first IV Iron infusion on Monday. Wheee! I waited to see the hematologist for four months while my Iron was in the gutter, and I feel so awful that I haven't been able to work full time for months. I've been mentally foggy, walking into walls, my hands and feet buzzing, the whole bit. Since October I've been taking 300mg of Feramax a day and have got my iron up from 11 to 15, so I'm feeling slightly better than I was and not passing out randomly, but still not feeling well at all and falling asleep at my desk. For those of you who have done the IV iron, how long did it take you to bounce back and feel sort of normal again? I have to do three consecutive weeks of IV treatments but I'm hoping it won't take me a full three weeks to start feeling human again. Work wants me back full time and I think their patience grows thin on the medical leave as I've been getting some hostile looks from my boss. I really miss my brain. I currently have the thought capacity... SQUIRREL!!

Hi,

I've had to have iron infusions for the last few years due to my bodies inability to tolerate other forms of iron. I notice a difference with the infusion by about week number two but everyone is different. It sounds like you went through an awful experience and as far as dirty looks from your boss...as long as you have medical leave through Federal or State you should be covered. Human resources should be contacted if you think you are being discriminated against based on medical issues. I know the feeling of severe iron deficiency anemia and it's not fun. As a Nurse I rely on my ability to think quick and multitask and when my iron is low I get forgetful, fatigued, overly emotional, crave ice and have night sweats and chills as well. My plan with my Hematologist is see her every four months in office and call prior if I'm starting to feel like my iron is getting low and she will order blood work. My Surgeon just told me last week 50% of gastric bypass patients do not absorb iron even if they supplement it religiously everyday. It's nothing you have done, the job will find a replacement if anything happened to you. Take care of yourself also. ☺️

My levels were at 3 when they realized something was wrong. I was having 2 iv Iron treatments a week for a month and then once a week for 3 months and then every other week for another few months. I felt better within the first few weeks. Thankfully!

Its' been three months now, and the chills have mostly stopped and I'm mostly returned to "normal". I'm developing pockets of clarity and focus, but they are rare. I am a full time graduate student and lecturer, and this inability to think for more than "Should I go potty" is taking me apart. Who cares about life with hair loss when you can't think through a basic textbook?! My numbers are cutting it to normal now, and so I'm not getting any sympathy, medically, since the objectives had been met on paper. So frustrating.