Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone been sleeved with Minimising Ring

I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.

That brochure has very limited info and seems to pertain to RNY, not sleeve. I guess I still don't understand what it's actually supposed to do. I'd be pretty concerned about the long term consequences of having a device like that inside of me, especially when the "benefits" are unclear.

NEW STUDY – To Band Or Not To Band: The Minimizer Ring & Sleeve Gastrectomy

We are currently doing a trial on the effect of placing a silicon ring around the sleeve.

All operations for obesity have a tendency to weight regain after 3-4 years. The theory with sleeve is that it can stretch & allow large volumes to be eaten again. I am not necessarily a believer in this & believe that the stretched sleeve is a sleeve where the bottom is too tight & the top too big. This creates a large pouch.

The purpose of the ring is really to stop large volumes being consumed. A recent small study showed that at 1 year there was little difference between banded sleeve & non banded sleeve in terms of weight loss, but this is too short a time frame to be sure.

There is good data to say that banding the gastric bypass is very effective. It is in my opinion now the gold standard.

I am interested in a trial that lasts for 5 years & looks at the results of banded sleeve vs non banded sleeve.

I have performed approximately 30 banded sleeves & will shortly start a formal trial to examine the effectiveness.

So far, in my VERY limited resarch, I have only found small 1 year post-op studies. They show no difference in weight loss between banded sleeve and non banded sleeve, but an increase in vomiting in banded sleeve patients. Until there are longer range studies, I guess it's just too early to tell. It does seem that there is more substantial evidence that banding is beneficial in RNY patients, but sleeve and RNY are very different procedures, so it would be incredibly presumptuous to assume that banded sleeve would have similar long term results.

Here's a link to the study that mentions increased vomiting:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24464518

Edited by JamieLogical

Sleeves don't generally stretch without a lot of abuse and the stretching is minimal at best. Most sleevers can eat very little at a time but even with this ring, grazing can be abused and that's generally where weight is gained.

Sleeves don't generally stretch without a lot of abuse and the stretching is minimal at best. Most sleevers can eat very little at a time but even with this ring, grazing can be abused and that's generally where weight is gained.

Yeah, that would be my thought as well. Unlike RNY, the "stretchy" part of the stomach (the fundus) is removed with sleeve. So it really can't stretch all that much. I'm sure it stretches SOME and I am sure some of our vets can attest to that, but I'm pretty sure it's never going to stretch to the point of me eating a whole large pizza in one sitting again... I suspect that a lot of the weight gain experienced years out is due to eating around the sleeve and those patients could just as easily eat around this band.

yeah - that honestly doesn't seem like a good idea. the reason the band has fallen out of favor is due to erosions, embedding, and food intolerance. Seems like you'd get the same thing with the minimizer ring. I also am unable to find any evidence that the minimizer ring has FDA approval. Not a big deal if you're not in the US. But if you're in the US and considering Medical Tourism for your surgery, getting something that lacks FDA approval is setting yourself up for a load of trouble if you ever have any complications.

the reason the band has fallen out of favor is due to erosions, embedding, and food intolerance.

Yeah, one of my MAIN reasons for choosing sleeve over band in the first place was that I was completely terrified of erosion or even slippage. It seems like with the banded sleeve, you get all the potential complications of the band with no clear benefit over sleeve alone.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Frugal

Welcome to Frugal Testing, where we are committed to revolutionizing the software testing landscape with our efficient and affordable solutions. As a pioneering company in this field, we understand the challenges faced by startups, small to medium-sized businesses and any organization working without budget constraints. Our mission is to deliver top-notch testing services that ensure the highest quality of software, all while keeping your costs in check.
      Frugal Testing offers a comprehensive suite of testing services tailored to meet diverse needs. Specializing in different types of testing including functional testing, automation testing, metaverse testing and D365 testing, we cover all bases to guarantee thorough software quality assurance. Our approach is not just about identifying bugs; it's about ensuring a seamless and superior user experience.
      Innovation is at the heart of what we do. By integrating the latest tools and technologies, many of which are cutting-edge open source solutions, we stay ahead in delivering efficient and effective testing services. This approach allows us to provide exceptional quality testing without the high costs typically associated with advanced testing methodologies.
      Understanding each client's unique needs is fundamental to our service delivery. At Frugal Testing, the focus is on creating customized testing strategies that align with specific business goals and budget requirements. This client-centric approach ensures that every testing solution is not only effective but also fully aligned with the client's objectives.
      Our team is our greatest asset. Composed of skilled professionals who are experts in the latest testing techniques and technologies, they bring dedication, expertise and a commitment to excellence in every project. This expertise ensures that our client’s software not only meets but often exceeds the highest standards of quality and performance.
      Frugal Testing is more than just a service provider; we are a partner in your success. With a blend of quality, innovation and cost-effectiveness, we are here to help you navigate the complexities of software testing, ensuring your product stands out in today's competitive market. 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • ChunkCat

I have no clue where to upload this, so I'll put it here. This is pre-op vs the morning of my 6 month appointment! In office I weight 232, that's 88 lbs down since my highest weight, 75 lbs since my surgery weight! I can't believe this jacket fit... I am smaller now than the last time I was this size which the surgeon found really amusing. He's happy with where I am in my weight loss and estimates I'll be around 200 lbs by my 1 year anniversary! My lowest weight as an adult is 195, so that's pretty damn exciting to think I'll be near that at a year. Everything from there will be unknown territory!!

· 3 replies
      1. AmberFL

You look amazing!!! 😻 you have been killing it!

2. NickelChip

Congratulations! You're making excellent progress and looking amazing!

3. BabySpoons

So proud of you Cat. Getting into those smaller size clothes is half the fun isn't it?. Keep up the good work!!!!

• BeanitoDiego

I changed my profile image to a molecule of protein. Why? Because I am certain that it saved my life.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

That's brilliant! You've done amazing!! I should probably think about changing my profile picture at some point. Mine is the doll from Squid Games. Ironically the whole premise of the show is about dodging death. We've both done that...

• eclarke

Two years out. Lost 120 , regained 5 lbs. Recently has a bout of Norovirus, lost 7 pounds in two days. Now my stomach feels like it did right after my surgery. Sore, sensitive to even water.  Anyone out there have a similar experience?
      · 0 replies
    • Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches