Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I just bought the Special K Protein Cereal in the Cinnamon Crunch flavor and have about 3/4 cup with a little light almond milk. It's real crunchy and tastes great. One serving has 7gms. of Protein. They're great for a little snack when you need one too.

I also buy the weight control Quaker oatmeal. It has 7 gms. of protein too. I've added a little unflavored Protein powder to it too.

I just bought the Special K Protein Cereal in the Cinnamon Crunch flavor and have about 3/4 cup with a little light almond milk. It's real crunchy and tastes great. One serving has 7gms. of Protein. They're great for a little snack when you need one too.

I also buy the weight control Quaker oatmeal. It has 7 gms. of protein too. I've added a little unflavored Protein Powder to it too.

Great. I have unflavored protein powder too. Didn't even think to add it! Thanks!

All depends on what your NUT wants you to "watch" post op. Cereal's "empty carbs" for me. Trying to stay between 30-50gm a day, and Cereal would make up over half of that. It's not worth it to me, so I don't eat it.

Cereal was a trigger food for me pre-op and it is a slider food for me post-op. I truly hope that one day I can have a healthy enough relationship with food that I can go back and enjoy cereal, whether it is Lucky Charms or Total, and it not be an issue. But the Protein powder is a really good idea! I wouldn't have thought of that either.

I have not eaten Cereal in the last 2 1/2 years because I love a lot of milk in it and I try to keep the carbs low too. Most of the surgeons and Nuts do not want you to drink and eat at the same time and cereal with milk is the same thing. My sister loves cereal too so she soaks her cereal in the Premier Protein shake then pours off the liquid before she eats it. If you enjoy it and can find a way to work it out, go for it! :)

I was literally drooling thinking about a bowl of cereal right now....it is definitely a trigger food for me, too, so no mas! At least not for a while.

Oh Captain Crunch, how I miss you....

@@Babbs yes!! SAME. and Peanut Butter Cheerios. dear lord. Def a no-go in my world! :-)

Special K Protein has 10 grams of Protein in 3/4 cup serving. With 1/2 cup 1% milk, it's a 14 gram Breakfast or snack. I've also tried Cheerios Protein, but it's lower in protein than the Special K. I brought this up at my last bariatric support group and the nutritionist actually recommended it for post-op sleeve patients who suffer from gout and can't eat a lot of meat products.

Captain Crunch, how I miss you....

@@Babbs

thanx alot for remiding me how yummy that is :D

@@kimdlawson06

My NUT told me i could have a "little" cereal

but with a VERY small amount of milk :angry:

might have a couple of times a week

never more

sometimes none

i also eat special K Protein

10 gr protein

carbs 19 :mellow:

sugar 7 gr :o

but newbies shouldn't really eat cereal (per NUT)

do as i say not as i do :rolleyes:

must admit after 2 years goal

i do have a "little" more milk that i had as a newbie

if thats the worst thing i do, i stiill think i'm pretty amazing :lol:

good luck

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

My Nutritionist is ok with it. I have been having Kashi Go Lean Crisp. 9g of Protein and 8 g Fiber. I also eat oatmeal. I find it helps keep me regular with out having to add Miralax to my diet. I will have to look at Special K Protein.< /p>

~LA

As with so many choices on this journey, it depends on whether you want to be on the fast track or take the slower path. My fast-track program didn't allow carbs other than from green-veggies, Protein shakes, and lo-cal Greek yogurt. I found that quicker weight loss, lots of compliments, and wearing better-fitting clothes was much more fun than eating the foods I used to like. And believe me, this trip really has been fun! For what it's worth, most WLS vets say that the first year is the best and easiest time to get our weight down. After that it can get more difficult, so I chose to take full advantage of my "honeymoon period". The truth is that we all have to find our own way to get to a weight where we're happy and comfortable for the long haul. I wish you all the success in the world!!!

Edited by Rogofulm

When I found the Special K Protein cereal I knew I couldn't eat a big bowl with a lot of milk. I don't drink milk anyhow except for a little almond milk which I use to make my powder shakes when I have them. With the 10 gms of Protein I measure them out and eat them as a snack either in the mid afternoon or early evening.

My NUT actually said it was a great choice not only for the protein but also for the "crunch factor" that so many of us miss. She also has told me not to worry so much about gms of carbs as long as they come from fruits, veggies and good grains.

The main focus should be on the protein grams and liquid ounces. She says that given the amount of food we can actually eat it doesn't make a lot of sense to stress over the number of calories or carbs if we're making good choices for our Proteins. She does say not to make carb choices that include Pasta, rice, potato or breads, and obviously no refined sugars.