Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's the Difference?

Hi all, this is my first post here. Been lurking for a while now.

I am seriously considering getting a sleeve. I am 38 years old, 6ft, 350lbs. I love working out, mostly CrossFit and powerlifting. I have just never been able to get my eating in check. I have an inguinal hernia and the doc I am using for that also specializes in WLS. I may have both procedures at the same time.

I have been overweight since I was 8 years old so I have 30 years of experience to tell me that I won't keep the weight off. I am however really good at losing weight. I've lost hundreds of pounds in my lifetime, LOL.

My question is what is the thing that makes the difference with the sleeve? Being that I have such a history of gaining, losing, gaining it all back plus some, then doing it all over again, how can I be sure that the sleeve will help me keep it off forever? I am sure what I am describing is the typical person here who was obese.

I just don't want to have the surgery, get skinny healthy for a few years, then put all of the weight back on.

For those of you a few years or more post surgery, did the surgery help you to overcome the addiction? Are you constantly battling an urge to eat junk? Are you always hungry? Do the struggles remain? - or - Did the surgery really allow you to make a life change that is sustainable and not a constant battle?

I am willing to put in the work, and I know the sleeve is just a tool. I just want to be sure it is a permanent solution.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Hey I'm just making a year I've lost a great amount of weight I was 345 I'm down to 212 I'm 5'10 I was like you I worked out did martial arts but my appetite kept me from keeping the weight on I battled my entire life. The sleeve is a blessing to keep the weight off. It's hard to endure if you work out and protien and less then 10 grams of sugar for all your meals is key. I don't over do it with junk but I will tell you I eat pizza can't eat as much as I use to but I get to eat anything but the sleeve helps cause you can't over do it it's impossible at least for me it is good luck the sleeve is the way to go.

Lumpy, we must be brothers from another mother!

My story is almost identical to yours (year older, a tad heavier) and share the same concerns but I KNOW what doesn't/hasn't worked for me. Now it is time to try this tool to help me battle.

Feb 24th my journey continues...

Good luck with your decision and your journey!

Thanks for the input guys! Looks like we are/were all in the same boat. I met with the surgeon today and he helped ease my concerns a lot. I'm looking forward to getting this done.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches