Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I recently had a bad leak in my regular medium size four cc, band.

my surgeon caught it early and replaced it with one of the new small sized AP bands. He was able to work the band through my existing sutures. (hes very good)

im only about five days out, but i feel significantly different. I have perfect restriction so far (im only on purreed foods so far but start other soft foods this week).

im excited.

anyone else have the new ap band?

Fingers crossed, I'm supposed to be getting it on Monday the 4th. I hope and pray I'll be able to come back to this thread and share!!

I've never heard of it but we haven't discussed bands or sizes. I really should have asked but from what I've heard they decide what size you need when they get in? and I didn't know to ask about a new type. Sounds exciting! I get banded on June 18 so I'm very curious :confused: Glad to hear your feeling better and with better restriction and good luck!

It is released to the US in general release after the ASBS conference June 11th-16th. So it is quite possbile if your doctor didn't get early release bands, that s/he will have the AP by the 18th.

I cancelled my surgery for tomorrow (May 31st) because even though I did the legwork for my surgeon's office to get an eraly relelase band, they didn't feel comfortable placing one until after the conference. So I've rescheduled for June 20th. And if they don't have it by then, I'll reschedule (but be really ticked) for when they can get one.

I'm excited to hear your thoughts on the differences, Liz. There are lots of folks here who have the AP but hadn't been banded with the others. It is interesting to hear from someone who has had both. Please keep us updated!

My doctor told me he gave me the new band (don't know if he means AP)... but, it must have more restriction because even though I'm supposed to be on mushies... I can't do that... have to make them like Tomato Soup. He told me that only 10 doctors in the country had been given this new band... is this what you are talking about?

Annie, if you are in the US, about 50 (maybe a couple more) surgeons (not 10) were given the Advanced Platform (AP) band in an early release so that Inamed could see what they'd need to set up in advance of the general release scheduled at the ASBS conference June 11th-16th in San Diego. There is some differences for the surgeons in placing this new band, nothing bad, just different. They also need larger instruments to place the band with. So Inamed gave out some bands early to some surgeons to sort of work out the kinks. The AP band itself has no kinks, perse, it has been being placed in Australia and Canada for some time now, it was just how to best teach the docs in the US to do it.

Other than the size and how they place it.... are there any differences... I can't find literature on it at all. (He may have said 50... I remember the number was small... I was on diladud at the time:) Do you know where I can find info?

Thank you so much... I still don't know what I have. (small or large) I think doctor's should be more forthcomming. He didn't even tell me he was going to use the new one... told me after... said that we would figure it out together.

I agree about the doc's needing to be more infomative about what they place. Some do tell you imdeiately. I am going to ask for the box my band comes in for a "keepsake." That way I'll know for sure what I've got as soon as I'm awake enough to read it.

I just had my pre-op consult and postponed my June 15 date to wait for the new AP band. My Doc, says that the overall feel of the device is softer, more Fluid design. He said if he were gettig a band he'd wait an extra month or so to have the latest and improved version. Basically he told me that the AP band is easier to losen and reposition in case of Slippage. It's a little easier to remove as well. He likes the idea of the 360 degree silicone band vice 280, more uniform restriction and it eliminates another possible cause for erosion since nothing hard is touching the stomach. Since i am in my late 30's and may have this thing in a while, i figured that the AP option may be woth waiting for.

I am still on my pre-op diet and losing just in case they get these in the hospital sooner rather then later. I've been fat for 20+ years 2 more months won't make a difference.

So far so great. I had fish last night and it was heaven. it was my first real solid food since the rebanding.

My surgeon is a proctor for Inamed, which allowed him access to the new band early.

It truly is a different feel. I find its much more comfortable and theres no doubt about restriction. with the older band i felt restriction the day of the fill but it didnt last as long. (remember though i had a severe leak)

Im very excited about this, and im excited to see other people with it/getting it too.

I was banded 5-21-07 with the small AP band. So far, so good! I'm still in the "mushies" stage. I had my first post-op appt. today. The doctor said that many people with the new AP band don't even need fills as they are having adequate restriction without them. I suppose I'll figure that out as I start eating "normal" food. Good luck to everyone.

This is good information to know... I'm still eating mushies (more like a Tomato Soup than mushie) and I can eat about 3 oz. before feeling it. I told my husband I was scared of getting a "fill" because what would I eat then??? It's good to know that this might be tight enough.

Hey, I was banded in early February with the AP ( Small) band. This band has been available in Australia for quite a while. I have very little fill in my band, as I just don't seem to need it. Yay! No pb's or pain.

Susannah