Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Protein powder/bars safe for nut/soy/whey allergy?

I have a good brown rice Protein that I can use for shakes but it's really gritty and tastes pretty awful just with Water. I ordered samples of a different brand that claims to be smoother from Growing Naturals but haven't received them yet to try. Suggestions of other brands I should try?

I'm thinking about the first couple weeks after surgery, is there any clear Protein powder/shake/shot that would work for me? All the clear liquid Isopure, etc ones I've checked have whey. I'm hoping there's one I haven't heard of yet that would work for me? Also, I'm in Canada so will need to be able to get it shipped here.

Same with Protein Bars. They all have nuts, whey and/or soy... I haven't found a single one that doesn't! I've been looking for recipes to make my own, but so far the ones I've found are very high in carbs. Suggestions on recipes or ones that don't have nuts, soy or whey, low carb, high protein, would be awesome! :)

I would suggest you contact BLERDgirl. She has significant allergy issues and could probably recommend something for you.

@ - You could try Orgain Organics. I did find it a little gritty but not as much when I blended it in a nutra bullet. I'm not sure how it mixes with Water. I always used almond milk, yogurt or juice. I actually thought it blended best with orange juice or pineapple juice and lots of ice. I've also use Biochem Vegan which states it can be mixed with Water. I've used this one as well but never mixed it with water. You can buy this at Whole Foods which is where I used to get mine. Whole Foods also carries Hemp Protein. I tried a sample of this when I was pre-op. I didn't hate it, just didn't love it.

I find most plant based Proteins have a little bit of grit. While they can be mixed in a shaker bottle, I think blending them in a nutra bullet or similar blender helps eliminate most of that grittiness.

Thanks! I have used Jarrow and Nutribiotic brand brown rice Protein powder but never tried it in our nutribullet. Good tip.

I usually buy the berry flavor and shake it up in a Blender Bottle with unsweetened cranberry juice. It's gritty but if I chug it back not too bad. Chugging shakes back won't be a good idea after surgery so hopefully I can sip on it after using the nutribullet...

I've contacted a couple companies who are going to send me some free samples... They are Growing Naturals (sending brown rice and pea Protein powder) and Manitoba Market Hemp. I've contacted a number more but haven't heard back from anyone else. I'll update with a taste and texture review once they arrive.

Update on the Protein powder saga... I got a free sample of hemp Protein Powder from Manitoba Harvest Hemp Foods and tried it today. Here's my review... it tasted awful just blended with Water, still had a mild "green" aftertaste as a fruit and greek yogourt smoothie, and minutes after trying it I had a pretty bad allergic reaction - hives, itchy mouth, congestion in my chest. I eat everything else that was in the smoothie all the time, so i know it was the hemp. Cross that one off the list too!

Next up, I've ordered a pure 100% egg white Protein from swanson Vitamins to try. It's unflavoured and I'm hoping it will work well...

Edited by islandsneezer

Hang in there. Road testing Proteins powders can be quite a trial.

I agree. I spent the 2 weeks prior to my surgery reading labels and buying samples. Fortunately I am neither lactose intolerant or allergic to dairy. I am vegetarian and allergic to red dyes, artificial sugars, seafood and stevia. You'd be surprised how many things have stevia .

That's why it gets me. Hives and facial swelling like nobodies business. I have *really* bad sinusitis.

I'm having similar issues, it sounds gross but if your not Vegetarian or Vegan while perusing Amazon there was one called Carnivor beef Protein isolate I can't recall but I believe it was dairy free. Good luck.

So I tried the hemp samples from Manitoba Hemp... SO GROSS. Also had an almost immediate allergic reaction of hives, itchy mouth and throat, so add hemp to my list of allergies...

Next I tried a pure egg white Protein powder from Now Sports. The taste was better, consistency was smooth but rather thick and there was an odd chemical aftertaste. After about 5 sips my stomach was hurting and I felt nauseated...

I had an idea the other day that seems so obvious and simple now that I've thought of it... I can eat Greek yogourt with no issues... I'll just Water it down to make it thin and that will get my Protein quota in just fine till I can eat real food after surgery... I sweeten it with xylitol and frozen berries... Any reason that wouldn't work just fine instead of a Protein Powder?

Edited by islandsneezer

Nope. I did and still do a LOT of Greek yogurt both because I like it and because its a good Protein source.