Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone, I have what may seem to be a silly question. I am getting banded on Nov 6th Yippeee!! But anyway, I am ok with giving up lot of foods I love, but and a big big but it is...I am definately addicted to diet coke. I mean like 12 a day. I read some where that it is a definate no no after banding. Is that true??

HI there!! Welcome to the boards! Yes any kind of carbonation is a MAJOR no-no!! The bubbles are bad for our little tummies! I dont know all the specifics but know that carbonation is bad and I know how that stinks, i'm a dr. pepper fan myself! Maybe if it's really really flat you can have a taste...I dont know, so dont quote me on that...anyone else know more specifics?

There are different schools of thought on carbonation. It is said that it could aid in stretching your pouch which you definitely don't want and it also contributes to gas and burping which we already do plenty of. You have 12 Diet Cokes a day? Wowee.. do your feet and ankles swell? I did myself an experiment, before banding and cut out Diet Coke for a certain length of time just to see if my feet and ankles still swelled or not. Sure enough, they did not swell nearly as bad as when I was drinking Diet Coke/Any soda. The sodium content in those things is lethal. Good luck breaking that habit!

I was addicted to diet coke also! Actually it did'nt matter if it was D.Coke or D.Dr.Pepper as long as it had caffine in it!

Since the band I've given them up. I did'nt realize how they were a trap. I'de peak and then crash so I'de drink another one to peak again. Looking back, It was a bad cycle.

I still consume caffine but on a much smaller scale. 1-2 servings a day whereas before surgery it was almost a 12 pack a day. I feel much better now.

I too LOVED diet drinks. Three months down the road Ive gotten a little brave and had a sip or 2 of hubby's. I get a different reaction each time; either I feel like I need to pb, or just let out a huge burp. But my greatest sorrow is the absence of beer! when I try it - it BURNS my stomach, plus the burping thing happens, soooo....

I feel that its a negative re-enforcement to stay away from these things.

Ive heard of people leaving the bottle/can open so it can loose some of the carbonation to make it easier to drink.

Yeah I've heard of that too but I'm not that desperate for caffine ti drink a flat coke or beer for that matter.

Paula you miss beer???

It's strange how your taste desires change after you're banded. Diet Coke just doesn't taste as good to me as it used to. The carbonation makes me feel like I'm going to pb. And drinking a flat coke, yuk! It's just not worth it anymore, thank goodness!

Ice cold Coors light - long neck...

my mouth is watering just describing it!

(sigh) the good ole' days...

The only thing my Doc told me I HAD TO AVOID FOREVER after banding was diet coke. I was told by my nutritionalist at Dr. Ortiz's office that the gasses and carbonation colud increase the risk of erosion so beer and soda are out for me..it's not worth taking the risk!

Michelle and I had the same nutritionist and therefore received the same instructions. I drink a lot of Water. The more I drink the more I want. Does that happen to you guys?

I wasn't actually told anything specific about sodas when I got banded. Like everything else I take things a step at a time. Before I was filled I could drink a soda. I didn't let myself have more than one in a day, and it took me an hour or two to drink it. I don't let them go flat, as that kind of kills the point of having a soda in the first place....

After my last fill Water filled me up pretty good so I just stayed away from soda. I had a Diet Root Beer yesterday and one today. I sip them slowly and they go down. I'm in for a fill in 2 weeks and I'm sure I won't be drinking soda after that (I hope!).

12 diet cokes... wow... I would say you need to find a non carbonated substitute, even if you were to find that you could still drink a soda.

;)

Veronica, I do find myself holding a glass of ice Water or grabbing a bottled water when I head out the door - all the time! I just thought it was a new appendage. If I don't have one in my hand, I feel like I'm forgetting something.

Hello everyone,

wow, I remember being so addicted to Diet coke myself! Was my first question to the doctor at the interview. Australian band doctors seem very relaxed about the whole thing. Avoid it for the first 8 weeks, then start flat and build up to fizzy, etc. The thing is, the knowledge that I could have it if and when I wanted it, made it less important in my mind. Before surgery I would drink 1-2 lts ( quarts i guess?) a day. Afterwards, I probably would drink a glass every few months! and realised I didn't actually liked it that much anymore! Diet coke is addictive because it's convenient, it's cold, fizzy, wonderfully advertised (caffeine helps of course, although I am not affected by caffeine either way and I was still addicted so it wasn't just that), and for me at least... IT IS NOT WATER!!!!! ( I try to like Water, I used to, a lot, but then something happened...)

Having said that, if there is any question in any band doctor's mind anywhere in the world about fizzy drinks contributing to something or other happening to the band....why would anybody want to take the risk? ( I want to believe I have learnt my lesson after my band moved.... but the flesh is weak...).

cheers

tellie

I actually thought that the Coca Cola Co would go out of busines when I was told to stop drinking it. I always stopped at the 7/11 on my way to work and got a 44 oz. The while at work I would have the cops stop and pick me up at least two more 44ozer during the nite. When I get home from work I would drink 2 two litre bottles while doing chores.

When I stopped drinking it pre op I noticed that my joints didn't hurt as much and I general felt better. I did suffer a three day headach from stopping the caffine and that was more painful then the surgery.

The trouble with the diet pops is you cannot use them to count towards your daily Water intake for the have no Water value if you can believe it. So if I was still drinking the pop I'd still have to down 64 oz of water. Just not going to happen. I have replaced the pop with a drink made by Gaterade called "Propel" its a fitness water and can count towards your daily water intake. its very low in calorie, crab etc. its lightly flavored and they are very good.

Paula...if you want to try beer try drinking tap beer...not as carbonated and doesn't irratate the stomach as much as bottled beer. Of course the keg takes up a lot of room in fridge LOL

No matter how you look at it though we are all better off not drinking the Pop diet or regular. It was part of our problem to begin with. I don't know about you but I remember the days of asking for Two whoppers large Fry and an apple pie....Would you like something to drink with that sir. "Oh yea a diet pop" duh. Always was justifiy eating bigger portions because it was alright I was drinking Diet Pop.

Greg