Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Please Help! Can I still have LPS if........

Hello All :wave:

I got my family (parents, sisters, son's & wife'e) together the other night to talk to them about me having LBSurgery. Everyone was against it except my husband. I want to tell you some of the reasons and get your opinions if I could PLEASE!

I am currently on several meds:

• Blood Pressure meds
  • Synthroid (for thyroid)
  • Mobic (antinflamatory for my back & neck)
  • Lexapro (for depression)
  • Xanax (for occational panic attacks)
  • Norco (my pain meds)

The pain meds Ive been taking for years and I have been under the supervision of my pain managment doctors for many years. I never take more than is perscribed but I do take the max amount (6 pills in 24 hours) every day and have been for a long time. I have told the drs many times over the last few years that I felt like I was addicted to the pain meds and they always tell me that it's ok as long as I don't take more than is perscribed which I don't. I wish I didn't have to take any pills. I am so sick of it.

:crySo my family thinks that they won't let me have the surgery because I am taking all these medications. My mother said that since I have been taking pain meds for years that they won't even concider my surgery. My sisters (all younger) said that since I am on Lexapro for mild depression that they will say no. There is a few other reasons they gave me but to dumb to even mention. Funny how they think they know all about this surgery when this is the 1st time it's ever been mentioned. :phanvan

:help: Does anyone know anything about what effects my medications will have on me trying to get lapband surgery? If I were to be lucky enough to get aproved and have the surgery what will happen in regards to my taking all my meds that I already take?

Thank you so very much for any help. Take care.

Hugs :), Brenda in Michigan

I was banded on the 23rd. I am 55 years old. I take meds for blood pressure, high cholesterol, depression, kidney stones, high triglycerides. One of the big reasons to do this is to help you get OFF these meds. Are the anti-inflamatories and pain meds for weight related pain difficulties? If so, all the more reason to do it. I also have been taking vicodin on a regular basis for about three years for a fasciitis in my shoulder. They will not discount you because of your meds. Your meds are as a result of your co-morbidities that aggravate your health because of your weight. Do not listen to your family. They really are just throwing out their own thoughts. Go see your doctor and listen to HIM ONLY. BLESS YOUR HUSBAND for his support. I wonder why your family is so against it? Could it be ignorance? If so, ask them to get educated, or help educate them. Your family cannot PREVENT you from having surgery. You are an adult. Do not let them threaten you and do not give your power away. As for meds post op...you will continue to take what you need....you may have to crush the pills or but them in half (I haven't been filled yet, so I imagine my situation will change, but right now, with the exception of some of the larger pills, I am able to get mine down easily). The only thing is, as you lose the weight your BP will change and your cholesterol will change and probably your moods will change. You will need to work with doctor cklosely to monitor the points at which your medds need to be adjusted, but that's all. Don't let your family railroad you.

I think that all of the reasons you stated are postive reasons for having the surgery. Many people find once they have this surgery, their health greatly improves and they are able to come off many of the medications they were on pre-band.

I say don't go by what your family is saying. Talk to your lap band doctor. He/she will give you the right information and let you know if the surgery is for you.

I agree, don't let the uneducated talk you out of getting your health back. Dropping excess weight will change your medical needs. You will probably need to decrease your meds as your need for them decreases. It is painful to carry excess weight. Pain and arthritis management were my main reasons for getting the band. Do it!

IMO.....your family is thinking backwards!!! Those are all co-morbidities - reasons insurance companies approve patients for surgery!!

I was 62 at time of wls.....had been on diabetic meds for 20 yrs, blood pressure meds and gout meds for 30 years, arthritis meds for 15 yrs, anti-depressants for 5 years, had had one heart attack and 4 heart stents within the psat 3 years before wls. etc etc etc. I was on 11 script drugs a day (some of them 2-3 times a day) and I was part-time on a walker, hadn't been able to do my own cleaning/shopping/etc for 2 years and was shopping for a wheelchair (size extra-wide, thank you). Get the picture?

I came thru the surgery without a hitch, have had no complications other than inflamed isophagus caused by my arthritis meds (so I've cut way back on them).

After only 4-5 months I was off diabetes meds, after 8 months I was off blood pressure meds and completely off anti-depressants and most of the other stuff. Within 4 months I was walking a mile a day, I'm now working out at Curves 3X/week, do all my own cooking/cleaning and shopping again. My lab readings are perfect. The walker has gone to the storage building. I have lost 133 pounds and am still losing. I have a LIFE and a FUTURE!!

Now why would anyone not want you to have a surgery that could save your life and give you an improved quality of life? I am grateful every day for the encouragement and support and push that my family and my doctors gave me. And proud of myself for adhering to my new lifestyle and for sticking to the rules and being a compliant patient who eats right and plans to do so from now on.

Best wishes to you!!

I don't know you family. But in my opinion, It is your body and that should be you desision. It is good that you include them and get input if you trust thier opinion. But in the end the decision to do it rest with you!

<p>I'm not yet banded, but I've heard many people are able to quit using some or all of their meds after surgery. </p> <p>Personally I'm on Zoloft, and I've been approved for surgery. They want me to stay on the Zoloft because often after surgery, some people do get depressed (mourning the food) so that shouldn't stop you from surgery either.</p> <p> </p> <p>The best thing to do is go to an informational seminar, and take your hubby since he's behind you on this, and ask all the questions you need to. There isn't a family out there that is going to jump up and down for you the first time you mention weightloss surgery. But if you get all the facts and information that is out there for you, you can talk to them in depth about facts, and they will probably start to warm up to the idea.</p> <p> </p> <p>Good Luck to you, and remember, in the end it's your body and your decision, and don't let anyone else decide this for you.</p> <p> </p> <p>Lynette</p>

This is exactly why I say tell NO ONE but your spouse what you are doing. People are frequently uneducated about this procedure and the benefits it can have on our lives. As so many others have said so well, the reasons you listed are good reasons to HAVE the surgery. And I also agree, listen only to your SURGEON about whether this is a good plan for you. Not even your primary care physician is the authority on weight loss surgery, only a bariatric surgeon can look at all of your issues and tell you if this is a good choice.

Call your insurance company, as if they cover adjustable gastric banding, then find out who they will cover you to see (and then have them send this to you in writing). Call and make an appointment to go to an information seminar (most practices have them at least monthly and they are free). Take your husband and go learn more about it. Frequently at these seminars you can then make an appointment for a consultation (so take your schedule/planner with you).

Good Luck from a fellow Michigander

:think

I am usually not an emotional person but I have tears of happiness after reading your messages. I am so thankful to have found this group. So much caring and helpfulness.

I will call our insurance co in the morning and take faith's suggestion to see what they say. Great idea faith. Thank you so much.

I already have my siminar class (with Dr Doel at Baumont Hospital) set up. I called them last week and they said the next available siminar is July 10th @ 7PM. I can hardly wait.

Gayle! You are an inspiration to me. And even though I don't know you I am so very proud of you and what you have accomplished.

I can't thank you all enough for the great advice/info/help/caring/etc. You are all in my heart now and I look forward to watching everyone's progress as I am making my own journey to Bandland.

Sorry for getting mushy. LOL Usually not like that but you all are bring the best out of me I guess. Thanks again. Take care.

Hugs, Brenda in Pontiac, Michigan

You go girlfriend! Take back your power and your life. Surround yourself with supporters and discard the rest...at least for the time being. This is YOUR decision for YOU and no one else. The fact that you have a supportive spouse takes you 90% there already. Bless that man. Those who would detract you and pull you down need to understand that though you love them, you do not agree with their ideas and you will ultimately put the facts on the table and make the decision YOURSELF.

Kacee and GayleTX said it best. And the fact that your dh is on your side is the best thing of all. Ignore those naysayers, go to the seminar, and if it seems right for you, go for it!

I have been Miss Whiner here a couple of times over the past weeks since surgery, but I really believe this is the best thing I could have ever done for myself. You go girl!

I was on and still am on adivan for panic attacks, restoril for sleep, and I take Loritab 10's every 6 hours for pain. I've had neck surgery, back surgery, foot surgery and 3rd degree burns on both legs from thighs down and still have 2 more ruptured discs. This was one of my questions too because with the pain I have I would literally die without my meds. He said I would be fine and been banded 10 months and so far so good so tell them you've talked to people who are in the same condition as you and they are doing great. Maybe the more research you do and facts you have the better they will understand. Hope you can get them to understand because my pain level has really gotten better. I've only lost about 65 pounds so far but I can tell a huge difference. I still hurt and will till the day I die but I'm much better. PM me if you have any questions I can help you with I would be more than happy to help you.

Brenda,

I'm sorry your family isn't being supportive... It sounds like they were dishing out reasons that a doctor would tell you no, not actually reasons THEY think you shouldn't get it (unless that's in the group of reasons too stupid to mention :) ). I'm glad your hubby is rooting for you. There's a couple of things; your family is probably scared for you, and will either be more supportive after you get it done, or maybe take an above poster's advice and don't tell any of them.

Personally, I couldn't not tell my family I was going in for surgery, but I'm 25, so my mom's opinion is very important in my decisions... but I see why people don't, if they are getting lots of resistance.

Keep us updated in your process. :)