Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

2 months until surgery.....questions

I originally posted this in the regular sleeve forum and realized that it should have been in the mens forum.

2 months until surgery. I am really starting to worry about excess skin. I've heard women have issues with this more than men.

I am currently 6ft 5 inches 410 pounds, athletic build. I carry the weight well. I was 265 in college from 1994-1998 and the lightest i have been post college was 330 (year ago) . I am wondering if i get down to my expected weight which is around 265 is it realistic to have no excess skin? I don't mind lifting weights while losing; i just don't think mentally i could deal with LARGE amounts of the excess skin I see on women.. Don't really see it on the fellas much, but then again, i don't really see the men posting revealing pics like that.

I've played sports all my life (football). A year ago i actually dropped about 70 pound and i got down to 330. I didn't have any excess skin then so the doctor said my changes are probably

excess skin is not a deal breaker, just an honest concern. Id rather educate and prepare myself, instead of being caught off guard with anything. I look at some of the videos people have posted titled "i wish i had known this before sleeve surgery" or "my regrets after sleeve surgery" and i don't want that to be me.

it's not vanity, but it is. I'm trying to come to terms with all potential issues before surgery and this is one of them for me. I've started practicing eating slower, not mixing liquids and my meal, dietary changes. Make no mistake, Health is #1 blood pressure, sleep apnea, joint pain, heart trouble.... Being here for my 5 kids and wife. That being said, I guess my question should have been worded differently.... Maybe what can be done to minimize excess skin and how men with my similar body type have been to dealing with excess skin. I'm not a swim suit model that's worried about how she is going to look in a two piece bikini ????... But i am a dad and husband that wants to know how much skin i may have to deal with.. how unsightly will it be... How much my wife will have to deal with. And what strategies men have used to minimize it or eliminate it. I'm just being honest

Any feedback would be much appreciated? I read FAQ but I'd like to hear real life testimonials.

At the beginning you'll have what may seem to be important expectations that may be of concern to you....ie: loose skin....etc. but as time goes on, you'll simply enjoy your new emerging body and energy and will just adapt to whatever little imperfections linger along the way. With 150 lbs to lose and having been obese for quite a while, it's likely that losing rather quickly will result in some loose skin. I have lost 120 in a year and made the gym and exercise my main staple during the whole process and there still is some loose skin. It bother's me enough that I'm self conscious in a bathing suit (or naked) but it is easily concealed with clothes. And with clothes I look completely normal and feel fantastic. Getting a Tummy Tuck or some form of plastic surgery is on my bucket list, but not a priority for the immediate future. I'm too busy enjoying my new bod and the things I can do with it.....

In other words........it'll be what it will be and you won't care so much then.....so stop worrying.... ;)

Your right about us guys not puttin' many pics......I'll try and take some before'n'after and post them, but don't hold your breath. :P

I tried to research this before surgery too. What I concluded was that there are a lot of variables. It depends on age, how long you have been that size and genetics. I was 415 before surgery and at 6 months out I am at 329. In the past I lost 60-70lbs without noticing loose skin. I was 10 years younger then. I notice it in my upper thighs and arms now. I am lifting weights and I hope that between that and time (further weight loss) things will tighten up. However, I couldn't care less about the loose skin. I am so happy with my weight loss that a bit of loose skin is not a big deal.

I'm married. If you're single and worried about what women will think, I gotta say the older I get and the more weight I lose I have come to realize much of my "trouble" with women when I was fatter and younger was in my own head because of lack of confidence.

I always just figured that I will cross that bridge when I get there..... I am happy thus far. a dream come true. I want to hit my goal. see where I stand. dream would be plastics, but it all depends on costs.... I am trying to minimize the effects by lifting and exercising hard. I want to fill the lose skin in my arms with some ripped muscle!!! just another motivator to keep going.

good luck!!!

Yes loose skin was a worry of mine but is not too bad compared to all the benefits. Most visible to everyone was the turkey neck but that seems to be fading somewhat 18months out or I am just not as worried about it. No one has ever pointed it out, just how "great" I am looking and how amazed they are with my transformation over the last two years. Stomach flap was not too bad either despite losing over 100lbs and is improving too over time. Yes us guys are not normally snapping a ton of pictures of ourselves so I don't have a lot of before pics, for sure not in a bathing suit and still not out there taking pics of my skinny self. Maybe will take a shot when I go to the beach next month and post it. That would be a big step for me.