Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

The Secret

Hey All, What do people think of the book "The Secret"? I have read it, and initially thought it had a few good concepts re thinking positively and visualizing success etc, but I am not sure how I feel about it right now.

Have you read it or had any inspiring occurances come about as a result of enlightenment from it? Susannah

I own the movie, and when I apply the concepts, it does work! My dh says it works for him, too, but he's so far only applied it to his golf game. LOL! It's an interesting concept. I know people who totally swear by it, and watch the movie at least once a week. I've only watched it twice....

Hey Travelgirl, A husband that gets to play golf would be a happier one I reckon.Do you think I sould see the movie? I have only read the book.

I am visualizing health and happiness for myself and my family, and maybe a move to a slightly bigger place than I am living in now. Is it hard to control negative thoughts one has though? It can be a bit mentally taxing to always only have positive thoughts about everything. Susannah

I haven't read the book, but it was pretty easy watching the movie. You can watch it online here (for $4.95, but it's cheaper than buying the DVD): The Secret - DVD Offer

The movie is an hour and a half long, so make sure your computer chair is comfy...

I feel very negatively towards most self help books - particularly parenting and toddler taming ones, lol - I cant STAND being told what to do by a so called expert. I do things my own way so self help books are not for me.</p>

I just tend to think its someone cashing in on people's vulnerabilities and making a buck because they thought up some crackpot theory that sounds plausible. I wont part with money for things like that.

Positive thinking is terrific and a very important part of changing your life though. If a book helps you to get your head around that then its a worthwhile investment. But I'd take all the glowing tributes and recommendations with a grain of salt.

Hey, Good on ya Jacqui.:D Good old Aussie cynicism. I agree on some of your points,but can't help thinking there is also great merit in other concepts that the book talks about.

One concept that I am having difficulty in accepting is that every circumstance that has occured in your life is a manifestation of your thoughts. I am sorry but living through years of violence against me as a child was not a result of my thoughts. It was the result of a sadistic step mother. Some things are not your fault, and they are not the result of your thoughts.

I like the idea of having a gratitude journal even if it is a bit Oprahesque and corny.

I must say the main thing I am grateful for at the moment is that I am living in a time where this wonderful technology with the band is available to us all. Imagine being obese decades before it was available and having no real option of overcoming this terrible burden.

Susannah

I think it is rubbish. It is one thing to think about what you want to achieve and be so focused on it that you do achieve it. But to say that we control what happens to us by our thinking? Did that baby want to be put in the microwave? Did my grandfather want to die of cancer? Did the person who was shot in a drive by want to be shot and created the situation by their thinking? I just think it is a big fat stinking pile of BS.