Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery Coming Up Fast!

Hi everyone. I just joined the forum because I'm going out of my mind thinking about my upcoming surgery. I have been looking into weight loss surgery for the better part of eight years, with every issue life can throw at me popping up along the way. Then, all of a sudden, in the space of two or so months, every roadblock seems to fall away, and the team at the University of Chicago has offered me a date in less than two weeks for the DS procedure. I am such a combination of excited and scared, motivated and freaking out! It's hard to describe, but I know many of you have experienced the same thing. I am having weight loss surgery because I would like to avoid the many problems lurking around in my gene pool (diabetes, MS, blindness, etc.) and I would like to live a long and happy life. But I feel like I had convinced myself that it would never happen, and now that it is happening so fast, it's so thrilling and scary at the same time! I'd love it if any of you could share any stories you might have relating to your pre-surgery experience. I'd also appreciate any advice. I've got all my Vitamins ordered (from Bariatric Advantage) and I've got all of my pre-op requirements done as well.

Hello and welcome!! There is a forum with people's different journeys on here. You can read all the stories you want!

Hey, good luck on your new journey. Mine was scheduled for the 12th of January but my surgeon nurse called said they needed to reschedule due to an emergency. Now they want me to wait til Thursday. I am also scared and thinking about canceling my sleeve altogether. I guess I had gotten my mind already for the surgery, now dout and thoughts are now clouding my jugement. Any suggestions from any one. Thanks in advance

Welcome. Always glad to meet another (soon-to-be) DSer.

Happy to hear you have your vits. ready. Hope you have someone to help you out around the house the first week or so. As for me, I was nuts, crazy, excited & panicked the week prior to surgery. I even locked myself out of my apt. twice. :D

The best story I can recall is this one: about 5 days prior to surgery I was eating everything in site. As a matter of fact I'd just bought a box of Yodels (like HoHos for east coasters). At 9PM that night, my surgeon called & told me to stop eating all that junk. I said how did you know? He said he knew me well enough. It was shocking but very funny. The fact that he did that still blows my mind.

I have a couple of funny postop stories (in the hospital) but I'll wait till you're done and dusted.

Edited by Postop

Thanks for all the replies everyone. I'm on my pre-op diet now, and I just had my consent meeting. I do feel less nervous now that everything has been explained to me. One week and counting! I'll post here once it's all done. I just hope they get that breathing tube out before I wake up.........