Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gastric Bypass VS Sleeve

What made you choose the Gastic Bypass rather than the Sleeve?

Also I currently weigh 260...am I heavy enough?

Thank you in advance,

Jenna

I was torn but my surgeon highly recommended gastric bypass over the sleeve based on my weight. I was 274.

It isn't just about your weight but about your bmi which has to do with your height and weight. My guess is that you are a good candidate based on your weight but only because others have been around that weight and had the surgery. I obviously can't see you and I'm not a doctor. But it sounds possible.

You can lose more weight with the gastric bypass than you can with the sleeve but with the sleeve, you don't have to worry about malabsorption if I remember correctly.

What does your doctor recommend?

What are you hoping for?

I chose bypass for several reasons:

I wanted to resolve hypertension (high BP) - the percentage of this co-morbidity is higher with the bypass.

I wanted that extra weight loss (10-15% more on average) but the compliant sleevers do catch up eventually, tho.

I do not have GERD, just mild reflux. I didn't want anything to induce or worsen it.

I wanted the procedure that most bariatric doctors feel comfortable/more versed in handling if I were to have complications.

I want the dumping "to keep me honest" - I cannot eat sugar without feeling like I want to eat an entire house now and if a surgery has to be in place to help me with a negative feedback loop with then so be it.

WLS surgery in general:

I want to be healthy and an example of health and fitness for my 4 year old daughter.

I want to be thin and fit and be able to run races without pain in my joints or feeling like I'm gonna die if I have to sprint for a bus.

I chose the bypass for two major reasons:

The dumping syndrome would hold me accountable to make better eating choices anytime I put something in my body.

The bypass has a longer history and more years of data to back up scientific claims. The sleeve may work just as well, or better, but the bypass has results of patients dating more than 10 years back.

I was 232 and 5 feet, 6 inches. I chose it because:

Even though it is not advertised, it can be reversed. With the gastric sleeve, they are removing a portion of your stomach...forever.

Long term results are better.

It's been around for a long time.

I needed to part with you lifelong crack cocaine like addiction to sugar. Hopefully for life.

Hi I would listen to my doctor I went with the Rny because it is the gold standard and more history I only wanted to do surgury once and I didn't want the possibly of having stomach ulcers I'm so glad I did good luck on your choice. I'm sure your going to make the right one for you .

So far I am leaning toward the sleeve. Only because I was origionally going to do the band but was hearing horrible things about it and just wanted to do the next step up.

I have done all of the pre-reqs and finally meet with the surgeon a week from tomorrow so I will see what he says and make my final decision from there.

Thank you so much for all of your responses. This is a great group to be part of.

My choice to go with the sleeve was because although I would be making an alteration to my body. Everything would remain the same. food would continue to follow the natural order of digestion HOWEVER I would simply be missing about 85% of my stomach. I wanted to keep the basic order of things the same. Another reason, 2 family members and a very dear friend had great success with the sleeve. My dr said either would be ok for me. :) presurgery 348 surgery day 312 and today I'm 277 yahoo! Look at me go haha.

Edited by athena3127

What made you choose the Gastic Bypass rather than the Sleeve?

Also I currently weigh 260...am I heavy enough?

Thank you in advance,

Jenna

Jenna: I wound up having an RNY because I am on Medicare, and in California, Medicare will pay only for the Lap/Band or the RNY. Before that, I thought I would want the Sleeve because it would be easier. In the end only you can decide. I did to want the Lap/Band. I am now so glad that I had the RNY. It is, perhaps, the hardest adjustment. But I am losing a lot of weight. Your surgeon should have an opinion this.

You weigh 260 and are 5 ft 3. There are a lot of questions when figuring out your qualification. Do you have any co-morbidities like diabetes, sleep apnea, high blood pressure? Along with your BMI, all of those issues are factored in to the plan. If a doctor has referred you, you can probably qualify.

I had the laundry list of comorbidities - type 2 diabetes, hypertension, hypercholesterolemia, hyperlipidemia, fatty liver disease, sleep apnea, yada, yada, yada. I chose gastric bypass to give me the best shot at treating/curing those conditions.

My original plan was sleeve and I was not happy with the surgeon's recommendation for bypass. I liked the simplicity of the sleeve and the lack of rewiring. But the more I researched the surgeries, the more I realized that bypass was totally the right call for me, and I'm very happy with my choice. My reasons were:

1) Complete remission of diabetes is more likely with bypass.

2) Greater overall weight loss.

3) Malabsorption and rebalancing of gut hormones from the bypass makes the process easier.

4) Longer more established history and research

Hope this helps!

Better weight loss for rny. More control over portions. No heartburn.

:). I know air of people. Who have failed weight loss on the sleeve and it's not really recommended for people with a lot to lose.

Your BMI qualifies you for sure. :).

Edited by bellabloom

I wanted the Sleeve, but Medicare in California doesn't cover it. So I had RNY and I am so glad I did. My a1c is 4.1. I'm doing and feeling so well.

Hi everyone...very new here an in the very early stages of surgery process. Trying to decide which would be better. I do suffer from heartburn an reflux so I know bypass is better option. My doctor says either one would be fine but is leaning more with bypass...I suppose I'm just scared of both...lol...but needs to be done...miss out on so much with my kids an husband an just tried of it.