Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Getting sleeved on 1/21... and now suddenly nervous. Looking for some answers, TIA!

Hi everyone! This is my first post on this site and I'm both excited and terrified to start my journey. I'll be getting sleeved on January 21st. My insurance required a 6 mo pre-op nutrition program, during which I dropped from 230lbs to 210 lbs and will have my final appointment with the nutritionist and pre-op appointment with my surgeon this coming Friday afternoon.

Prior to spending today on here, I had mainly monitored a message board of other women who had undergone the surgery and also had PCOS. I'd seen mostly positive experiences there and the people I have spoken to who are similar in age/weight/height/etc to me didn't have many issues post-surgery.

However, after spending today on the site, I'm absolutely terrified. I'm seeing people are having a lot of problem with Hair loss and major pain after the surgery, as well as very loose skin.

I'm 24 years old, 5'4", and currently at 210 as mentioned before. I've been told by my doctor that if I fall into the average percentile of what people can expect to lose through the surgery and following proper nutrition, I can expect to lose 60lbs as a result of the sleeve. My hope is that I might be able to avoid major issues with shedding because that amount of weight over, say, six months after surgery wouldn't be incredibly drastic and well beyond the scope of what weight loss might be on a diet such as weight watchers, for example, where healthy weight loss can be considered up to 2-3 pounds a week. And consequently, the weight loss won't be as stressful on my body.

Additionally, I'm hoping that having never had children at 24 and going to the gym 3-5 times a week (I'm still in law school, bleh) will combat a lot of the issues with loose skin. I did boot camp workouts for all of last year and gained a ton of muscle mass, but never seemed to drop on the scale and can still feel most of the muscle on my body, especially my arms and legs.

I understand that everyone's experience varies, but I would love to hear your opinions on the above, especially if you or someone you know is similar in age/stature to myself. It's hard to compare experience to people who are drastically different in characteristics than I am.

Thanks in advance!

xoxo Danielle

I think you'll be fine. You have youth on your side. The only recommendation I would give is to wear compression yoga wear when you work out. Follow your doctor's program, drink your Water and you should be okay. Congrats on the surgery!

Danielle.

First of all, you have to do this for you. I watched you-tube videos over and over just so I can see what was going to happen. I was great and excited up until the day of surgery. I knew exactly what I was going to have done, what I had to do in order to make this work. Just remember.....it is a tool, the surgeon is doing surgery on your tummy not your brain, and lastly, they are making you a new "BABY" tummy. You have to start off with formula (liquid), then move to mushy food (baby food), and then graduate to each level just as a baby does. The tissues in your stomach are still able to stretch and bring you right back where you were from the start. It is up to you to make this work, not anyone else.

Yes, we are here to give advice when needed or just to get some ideas as to what you can or cannot eat. What I have realized is that each state and each surgeon is different. I have also noticed on this site, people are sometimes judgmental and harsh. (Just let those go and focus on the positive)

Here in CT, our surgeons have us for the first 2 weeks only 100% liquids, week 3-6 mushy food, 7wk plus you learn to eat smaller portions and in all...it does work, and you don't feel hungry.

As for the loose skin. I would rather be a healthier weight then worry about my extra skin. Who cares, I know I don't. I didn't do this to worry about my skin. I wanted to become more healthier for my grand-daughter and daughters. Oh by the way, I will be 50 in May and I love my decision.

Right now the only exercise I can do, per my APRN is walk at a fast pace. I go back on the 20th of this month and hopefully she will tell me I can do more extensive exercise. I have a year to make myself down to the wieght I want. (150 pounds and ( am 5'7).

I am proud that you have made this decision to become healthier. Being you are only 24 is great that you realized your problem now than later.

As for the pain, hunger, or any other problems after surgery, to each their own. I had Thrush for 2 weeks, my stomach hurt only when I swallowed, but it was because of the Thrush not the surgery. So I cannot eat 3 oz of food yet, my body will tell me when I am ready.

Take your time and ENJOY this ride............................((((HUGGS)))

Annamarie from Connecticut.

I'm having my surgery on 1/20 do hey maybe we can keep each other encouraged.

You will do great,

after reading some of these reviews I was terrified as well. I was sleeved 11/24/14 . When I woke up I felt good some pain but could tolerate it. Just follow your doctors orders and drink and get your Protein in. I feel great and If I didn't know I had the surgery I wouldn't know I had the surgery

Good Luck!

Danielle,

First off...congrats on making this decision and your success on your 6 month pre-diet. I was sleeved 11 days ago. I was sleeved, had a hitial hernia repaired and had my gallbladder removed. The only pain that I felt was in my chest from my hernia surgery. I did have bouts of extremem dry heaving (vomitting) but after a few days I was fine. I would say by day 3 I was good. I slept on the couch for a few days for the support to my stomach. If you have a body pillow use it to support your tummy. I haven't been sick and able to get my Protein in. I've had issues with dehydration but thats being fixed by drinking more Water. I have lost 15 pounds post-op. It's a really neat experience. I was fortunate to see 3 loved ones sleeved prior to being sleeved myself. My husband was sleeved in December 2013 and has lost over 130 pounds, my father was sleeved in June 2014 and has lost 80 pounds and a really good friend was sleeved in May 2014 and had lost 104 pounds. Just make sure you surround yourself around positive people and people who've done this, the support helps out alot.

Best Wishes,

Michelle (Texas)

Let me add that I had no pain from the moment I woke up in recovery. NONE. No gas, no Constipation, no nausea, nothing. I feel like I type this everyday, but I really want people to know that not everyone goes through pain.