Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I need reassurance, please!!

Hello!!

I just scheduled my surgery for June 12 with Dr. Ortiz, and have to say, I'm a little nervous.

I have been an Operating room nurse for over 14 years and have heard AND seen the horror stories firsthand. I have been scanning this board for the last couple of days to see if anyone has anything negative to say about their experience in Mexico, and have found none regarding Dr. Ortiz or clinic.

I just need some reassurance that Mexico is the right place to go for this.

I went to see a local doctor here in LA, and what a waste of time!! The office staff was terrible and the surgeon was a pompous asshole!!

Thanks to anyone who can put my mind at ease

My Mexico experience was excellent. No regrets!!!! Taxi drivers are a little crazy but other than that, the trip was awesome!!!!

Dr. Ortiz is the best!!!!!!! I was banded in October NOOOOOO Complications at all ever. I was up the next day. His staff and his mom are WONDERFUL...... He is FINE!

Hello! I am also scheduled with Dr. Ortiz on June 29 and I am a registered nurse as well. I work in the emergency room. I think as nurses we tend to see all the complications first hand as I can relate to feeling nervous. I agree, that thru all my research that Dr. Ortiz is definately one of the best. The care provided both before and after surgery appears to be far superior to what we get here in the states. As you know working in the surgical field, many surgeries or done outpatient and the patients are sent home to fend for themselves. Dr. Ortiz keeps you overnight and then another night in a hotel just to keep an eye on you. Not very often that you get personal phone numbers for surgeons as well. Good luck and let me know how it goes as I will be right behind you.

Carrie

I had my surgery by Dr Ortiz on Feb 27 and there were no problems at all. And there haven't been either. I would not hesitate to do it again.

Idon't know where you live, but the only thiing I would worry about is getting follow up care here in the US if/when you need it. Seems like I've read more than a few posts about having trouble finding local docs to follow-up on Mexican surgeries.

i have never heard anything bad about this doctor.. so thats good. i went to dr.huacuz , but im sure you will do fine with dr.ortiz. you will be shrinking soon. good luck and dont worry, you will be fine. let us know how you do.

I dont recall ever hearing anything bad about Dr. Ortiz, but you are wise to research him as much as possible just to have peace of mind! As someone already mentioned pre-arranging aftercare is crucial. I was banded in Monterrey and I was very confident with surgeon and pleased with the hospital and care I recieved.

The surgery, the trip, all of it was easy..... the hardest part is the liquid diet after surery. The pain was in my shoulder and where the port is but I went back to work in less than a week.

Hello,

I had surgery with Dr. Ortiz on May 21st. He and his staff were wonderful and caring. No worries at all. I arrived the day before surgery and it was a Sunday. I did ALOT of walking that day. Had lunch out at a really neat authentic Mexican restaurant called La Casa de Mole across from the hotel. Ordered room service for dinner(like a last meal). Everyone takes US dollars all over Tijuana. I did ALOT of walking right after being released and taken back to the hotel. Went walking and shopping to a mall. I never had any gas pains...was able to poot it out or burp here and there. lol Probably because of all the walking.

There will be others having surgery the same day as you and you all will be walking the floor afterwards and during the night...especially if you have some gas pain problems. The nurses will be right there when you need them and will bring you popsicles and whatever you need.

You will do great! Good luck and have fun with it!

Peace,

Judy

p.s. you might want to check out the forum for Dr. Ortiz patients. it's Lap Band Forum (Powered by Invision Power Board)

I am going to Mexico too for surgery. What really has helped me is talking to former patients and being able to ask them questions I had. Most good doctors will give you references (or it's on their websites). I feel like you, a little nervous. At the same time, I am so happy I found my doctor and know this is right for me. I couldn't agree with you more about some of the doctors here who seem to just want your money. Keep us posted on how you do!!!

Dr. Ortiz is Tijuana right???? Funny we're being banded the same time, same place different doc lol. I am being banded by Dr. Kuri on June 12th!!!!!! I'm also very nervous but know that I NEED to do this and that I WANT to do this so bad that I'm just going and that's that. We need to trust ourselves, this is a huge committment but we've made our choices hopefully well informed ones :rolleyes:

I myself am travelling alone and I think that is a larger fear than the surgery itself for me. I've never been too far out of country let a lone doing it alone so that is a big worry.