Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie confused Insurance or Self funded

;) Hi guys im new to the world of banding i went to the info seminar last night and i will go ahead with the procedure but what im wanting to know is how has every1 else paid for the surgery?

Id have to go thru private health and wait 12 months so that will end next april but has anybody else had out of pocket expenses..

Im with NIB and they just dont explain it to me clearly 1 woman said id pay nothing nib would cover everything and another said something about some scheme so id love it if some of you would let me know what you guys have been thru to pay for this life changing surgery.

:help:

mellphat

That does sound confusing.

My doctor explained it all to me before I started.

In the end I was out of pocket $3,000.00(which was mainly the anaesthetist). I had Medicare pay first then they sent the reciepts to my health fund, then I paid the difference.

Your hospital stay should only be your health fund excess.

Good Luck

Hi Mellyphat,

I went through Medibank and out of pocket expense was close to $4000. But I withdrew from my super to pay my excess. It wasnt difficult to do so really all I have had to pay for is follow ups and fills. Good luck....DI

DOB 10/4/07

Starting weight: 115kg

Current weight: 95.8kg

Hi,

I thought my private heath insurance would cover most of it, until i found out that because it's being done in a private hospital they don't. That added about $7500 to the bill (which could have been avoided they tell me for an extra $20 a month - now they tell me!).

I applied to APRA though for early release of some of my superannuation. It got approved yesterday (yahh!). I just have to send their paperwork to my super company and it will be direct deposited into my bank account.

If you're interested have alook here - Early Release of Superannuation Benefits . The actual section is "specified grounds for release" and not financial hardship. You need to fill in the form and return it with:

• a letter from your GP
  • a letter from your surgeon
  • a quote for the costs.

APRA take 7 working days from when you submit your paper work and they don't need originals, faxing is fine.

Good luck!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      Just for fun last week, I ran two 5Ks in two days, something I would have never done in the past! Next goal is a 10K before the end of this month.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Teriesa

Hi everyone, I wrote back in May about having no strength. I still get totally exhausted just walking from room to room, it’s so bad I’m using a walker with wheels of all things. I had the gastric sleeve Jan. 24th. I’m doing exactly what the programs says, except protein shakes. I have different meats and protein bars daily, including vitamins daily. I do drink my fluids as well.  I go in for IV hydration 4 days a week and feel ok just til evening.  So far as of Jan 1st I’ve dropped 76 lbs. I just want to enjoy the weight lose. Any suggestions or has anyone else gone thru this??  Doctor says just increase calorie intake, still the same. 
      · 0 replies
    • Stone Art By SKL

Decorative Wall Cladding & Panels | Stone Art By SKL
      Elevate your space with Stone Art By SKL's decorative wall claddings & panels. Explore premium designs for timeless elegance.
      · 0 replies
    • Clueless_girl

Losing my hair in clumps and still dealing with "stomach" issues from gallbladder removal surgery. On the positive side I'm doing better about meeting protein and water goals and taking my vitamins, so yay? 🤷‍♀️
      · 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

I've hit a stall 9 months out. I'm not worried, though. My fitness levels continue to improve and I have nearly accomplished my pre-surgery goal of learning to scuba dive! One dive left to complete to get my PADI card 🐠
      I was able to go for a 10K/6mile hike in the mountains two days ago just for the fun of it. In the before days, I might have attempted this, but it would have taken me 7 or 8 hours to complete and I would have been exhausted and in pain for the next two days. Taking my time with breaks for snacks and water, I was finished with my wee jaunt in only 4 hours 😎 and really got to enjoy photographing some insects, fungi, and turtles.
      · 1 reply
      1. BabySpoons

Amazing! Congrats!!! Watch out for the sharks. 🦈

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches