Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not sure if I am posting this in the right place....

I'm excited and wanted to share... I have my consultation January 6th!! and I can't wait!

I have new insurance effective January 1st. So, the two weigh-ins I did I guess are now void. lol.

Now, I have 3 months of nutritional counseling. Which I am assuming is through the surgeons nutritionist. Anyone have to do that? Did you go through the surgeons office?

With my new insurance requirements, I was excited for 3 months instead of 6 months of weigh-ins, but doing the math I still end up finishing the process in Mid April. Oh well, as long as it happens.

I'm really hoping April is my surgery month. *fingers crossed*

I have so many "what ifs" going through my head. But I'm trying to stay positive and focus on what I've accomplished so far in the process.

Reading all these post on here have been so helpful, So thank you to everyone that contributed to this site. I'm so thankful I found it.

I have emblem health in NY and am going through the "process". I have my weigh in's at my surgeons office emblem also requires 3 months of physician monitered diet or nutrition program. Good Luck!

Congratulations and good luck! It's a crazy ride!

The hospital I went to has a team. So the nutritionist was part of that team. I did some of my testing like xrays and such at the hospital my plan is capitated to and I used a private center for my sleep study, but those were insurance related. If I had use the facilities at the hospital I would have had to pay out of pocket for the difference between what my insurance pays and whatever remaining balance was on the bill.

I had 3 baraitric appointments (once a month). At each one I meet with the team: the nurse practitioner, the surgeon, and the nutritionist. They checked my weight and followed up on how I was coming along with the testing needed. The nutritionist review my eating habits and gave suggestion. They also required you keep a food diary and review that with the nutritionist. This one was easy for me since I already kept a food diary.

At my second appointment I met with the psychologist. I suspect it was after this appointment they submitted my request to the insurance company. At the last appointment I also had to attend a 2 hour nutrition class.

@@AhnaLucille Yes I did the three months supervised "diet". The surgeons office set them up for me. I could have also went to my Primary physician instead for weigh-ins but I chose to go with the actual nutritionist. Good luck to you!

My program was similar to BLERDgirl.

I suggest you get hold of your records from the previous office or visits if with a different doctor. all your supervision should count even tho you have switched payers. accumulate all your documentation in a folder and give a copy to the bariatric office so they can work the system for you. usually there is one person in the office who submits the paperwork, have a little chat with them. also if you went to weight watchers or other similar group and have the paperwork still,you can submit that. no need to start over. most of us have a long history of trying. possibly your family practice provider has records of your weight and attempts to follow wt loss programs. this will document your attempts over a long period to change your weight. usually if you have comorbities, other health related problems, it speeds up the approval. spend a bit of time organizing your presentation and it may save you months. I expected to take a long time to get approval revision band to sleeve but they were ready for me almost immediately. good luck and see you in onederland. love sara

My insurance required two years of documentation of weight loss efforts. I had my primary print out my med records for two years back and then I highlighted every time my weight was mentioned or measured, and all of the doctors suggestions for diet and exercise.

Thanks @@scrapbasket, I will definitely get a folder started today, I have a couple documents from my PCP. I really do hope they count the time I've put into this. That would be fantastic! I'll add to my notes to talk to the coordinator at the surgeons office. I talked to my PCP about getting my records from previous visits to her. I don't think she wants to do all that. She gave me "you don't really need to do all that. That's why I put this and this in the letter". To me the letter seemed vary vague. But I guess, that's another thing to bring up with the coordinator.

I don't think I have any qualifying co-morbidities. I'm borderline diabetic. I have crazy heartburn, but not sure If it qualifies as GERD and I noticed on a few post, gerd isn't really being considered a comorbidity as much. I'll find out if I have sleep apnea. My husband says I snore really loud and make crazy noises. I didn't used to snore before all this weight gain. so, well see.

I'm seeing I need to be a bit more organized. Thanks again!

And tomorrow is Jan 6th! !Consult Day! I'm pretty excited to meet with my Dr. and talk with the NUT.

It went well. I like my surgeon. Not at all what I was expecting... they seem to be confused about my insurance... but hopefully it will all go smoothly.