Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What did you do while waiting for surgery?

I've read a lot of reviews about the surgeon my MD has referred me to, and a lot of them said he requires you to lose 10% of your weight before you can start the bariatric surgery process. Did your surgeon have a similar requirement? What diet did you do while waiting?

Edited by islandsneezer

My surgeon does not require a set amount of weight loss...just cannot gain weight during the process. My nutritionist, however, was very adamant on making lifestyle changes prior to surgery. He recommended a 1200 calorie, exercise 3-5 times per week, no carbonated drinks, chew food 25xs, and no caffeine. I am preop (surgery is scheduled for December. 16th) and I have lost over 40 pounds following his recommendations. I also use my fitness pal.

I didn't have to lose a set amount of weight but I did have to do a physician supervised diet. My doctor and the dietician both wanted me to get on MFP and get in the habit of logging everything so that it would come naturally after surgery. There's some pretty good science out there showing that on average, people who log their food daily have more success with weight loss than those who don't - both people who have had WLS and those who have not. So it seemed like a good idea to me, and I did it. It's been tremendously helpful for me. I have tons of friends there who are WLS patients and I love being able to read their diaries for ideas and also we cheer each other on. Frankly I find it a more positive place than this or other WLS message boards, which tend (understandably) to be the place where people come to complain, fret, rant, and generally freak out and be negative.

My doc required considerable WLS education prior to surgery (intro lecture, day-long class, appointments with a nutritionist and a physical conditioning consultant) and psych screening, but no dieting or weight loss.

However, because there was so much time between my approvals and surgery (my surgeon was booked to the max!), I decided to spend those months losing weight and changing my eating / drinking / exercising behaviors.

I lost 11 pounds and became much more active (thank you, Fitbit!). I stopped all carbonated beverages, reduced coffee to 1/2 cup a day, slowed down my eating, ate smaller bites, increased my chewing, drank 64 ounces of Water, used My Fitness Pal (love it!) to record all my food/drink, and other things we all have to learn how to do post-op.

EDIT: I also started seeing a psychologist, whom I plan to see over the next three years of weight loss, weight maintenance, and living real life.

Making those changes pre-op was bloody brilliant. After surgery, you want to focus on your physical recovery, not being overwhelmed by all the required post-op behavioral changes.

Best to you on your own WLS journey.

Edited by VSGAnn2014

lot of them said he requires you to lose 10% of your weight

@

sounds like you researched through the board, and you know a lot already :)

keep absorbing all the info you see and read

once you meet with surgeon/NUT - they will give you more instructions

"while you are waiting"

get a leg up on your new life

start using MFP

eat small portions

chew thoroughly - pieces should turn to "mush"

eat vvv vv very slowly

drink at least 64 oz of Water a day

don't drink while eating

don't drink for 45-60 after you eat

NO MORE SODA :(

start to decrease your caffein intake

the above a just a few of thee many rules you need to learn and follow for the rest of your life :)

I didn't have a requirement to lose X amount pre-op

my doc didn't even put me on a pre-op diet

just said "DON"T GAIN ANY WEIGHT"!!!

if your doc does tell you to loose 5% of your weight

SUCK IT UP!!! :lol:

learn now that you must ALWAYS follow the "wise words" ;) of your surgeon/nutritionist :)(NUT)

enjoy the start of your journey to a healthier, happier, longer life :)

keeping a blog/taking pictures through time is always good :)

hope things start moving along, meeting your surgeon, getting more info from him

getting your surgery date

good luck bud

kathy

Edited by proudgrammy

@ remember that every person is different. Even if you have the same surgeon and the same bariatric group what is required of one individual may not be what is required for you.

Speak to you Dr.'s office directly about your individual case, and try not to compare yourself with others. While we all have the same goal in mind which is to lose weight and be healthy the way in which we get there is very different and very personalized. Some of us might be "text book" cases but most of us are not.

My husband and I have the same exact surgery the same exact surgeon, and we were banded/plicated 3 days apart, but from day one his process is much different from mine. We can "relate" to each other and work together toward our common goals but I have to walk in my shoes and he in his.

The best thing to do is to get advice from the person you are having the surgery with and follow the guidelines they set out for you. While it may be similar to another, it could also vary greatly.

Best of luck to you, and Congratulations!!

What did you do while waiting for surgery?

Believe it or not, I kept eating as usual. In fact, I sought out junk that I figured I wouldn't be able to eat after the surgery. I had long since given up on any form of diet....... and any exercise was always short lived and useless if not just plain agonizing. So I didn't bother with any pre-op preparations. I just wasn't motivated because all my past experiences had shown me few lasting results.

My mind was kind of in a ..... "wait and see if the surgery does any good" way of thinking.

The surgery changed all that for me. From day one I could feel the changes. No hunger. The "eating too much" deterrent was truly there. The weight started coming off quickly.

I was now "motivated". Big time. I had what I needed to change. So I did. Healthy foods, only exact portions, no more junk......... constant exercise. Whatever was called for, I was 100% on board now.

You will be too. Enjoy the ride. ;)

Edited by Recycled

lifestyle changes - 1200 calorie, exercise 3-5 times per week, no carbonated drinks, chew food 25xs,-no caffeine.

Hi Jack Alert HI Jack Alert

@@ProjectMe

you are doing terrific

prepping for DOS by already following many "rules" :)

loosing 40 lbs :unsure:

using MFP

you are on the right path to a healthier, happier, longer life :)

your picture should be in the "book" next to the words "getting ready for WLS"!!!!

you are aces!!!!

good luck

speedy recovery

kathy

congrats

Besides the doctor's requirements, you also need to be aware of what your insurance requires for presurgical care!

I was not required to lose any amount of weight, but they did want to see that I was able to modify my eating habits. My nut wanted to see good amounts of Protein at each meal, small portion sizes, and wise food choices. If I had Peanut Butter and toast for Breakfast, she'd have a fit....low fat Greek yogurt and blueberries were a winner.

A lot of these requirements are to show that you will be able to follow a nutritious diet plan after surgery. And, that you understand how to make those determinations and follow through. WLS is one half of the equation, your ability to eat properly is equally important.

I was glad I upped my exercise pre-surgery -- I didn't want to, lol, but I did it and was so glad. It gave me something to step right into after surgery, kicked my body into healing and shedding mode, helped with recovery and helped me lose weight. Also I was very excited and the walking -- a bit further each time -- helped me burn off some of that excess nervous energy.

Keeping a journal helped me. I had so much info to track -- all those appointments, etc.! I wrote down ideas and tips I picked up here or in literature, wrote down how I was feeling, made lists for all I needed to do, my goals (fun to revisit those). I'd take my journal with me to appointments and make notes. I also had a friend take my measurements and they are in the bad back of that book. On the advice of some ine here in rote myself a letter to be opened when I get to goal. It's in my jewelry box.

I called my insurance company and learned what their requirements were -- I only had one from them: BMI a of 40, no wiggle room on co-morbidities. Then I called back and asked again because I was so paranoid. Or rather because I wanted this so badly and didn't want anything to get in my way. Need all the i's dotted and t's crossed. There are a lot of hoops and I was frustrated at times but now a year later I hardly recall that. I'm just so happy.

sorry I can't edit above from my iPad......bad back of book, lol! Sloppy typing.

I consulted with 2 surgeons. The first one recommended me to lose about 5 pounds, because this would give more space for him to work. The second one, who actually performed my sleeve, didn't require anything at all. But I believe this varies with your starting BMI.

Wow! Thank you, Proudgrammy! You totally made my day!!!!

My surgeon didn't require a certain amount of weight loss, but my insurance required 5%. The biggest requirement my surgeion had was the all liquid pre op diet. So while I was doing the 6 month insurance Dr. supervised, diet I decided to really try to lose what weight I could before surgery, because I read that it was safer to have the surgery if you lose weight, I lost 62lbs during that 6 months and 18 during the liquid diet and 2 more since surgery, while I was waiting I got things in order, had and EGD, a heart cath for cardio clearance, began walking stopped drinking pop stopped buying chips. Went to the movies and just did some normal stuff until finally the time arrived.

My surgeon didn't require for any weight lost before surgery, he set the date of surgery around 2 months after the first appointment. During those two months I did the hell lot of the research on life after gastric sleeve (of course this site is one of my useful resources) and I decided to try if I could live with it. So I followed the low carb diet, drank a lot of Water, no alcohols, no soda, no sweets (except with my coffee in the morning), ate a pound of vegetable per day and I lost 13 lbs! during those two months post-op.

That's how I knew I was ready to commit myself to the life after gastric sleeve.