Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New developement with my band

I've posted this under two forums here because I feel I need an answer so desperately.

This question may be covered but I'm not exactly sure what to search for.

Lap band in 2007, decent results (85 pounds). Untightened 18 months ago because I felt like I had developed good new habits.

Went back in recently because I was gaining some weight. They withdrew the entire amount in, as they always do - said it had been stable the whole time and this was proof I had a 'good one'. Only partially refilled me because they like to do it in two steps.

Second visit - can't get any Fluid out. They are concerned they poked the band. They send me to the hospital, where I go through the whole contrast fluid thing while they put more in me and they conclude no leak, nothing,zip,nada. Nurse still couldn't get any out. But she punts that to next visit.

I go in today. She still can't get any out. She puts a little more in and says 'we'll just have to go by how you feel - I have no idea how much is in you'. I say 'what if I get so tight I need to run in here and get some removed' and she shrugs.

All of this is with my original surgeon. So as of now - they can put it in but can't take any out - and they don't know why. And they hardly seem to care. I left with no future appt.

Anyone ever heard of a circumstance where the band accepts more fluid but none can be withdrawn ? Seems completely counterintuitive.

This sounds terrible to me! They may have "poked the band???" That is scary. The port is usually located beneath the skin, attached to the abdominal muscles. I can't imagine being jabbed that deep with a needle. They owe you some answers, in my opinion.

I wouldn't let them put anymore in that's for sure. Can you get a 2nd opinion?

Happened to me, although similar and very obvious what was happening.

My Dr. always pulls it all out to check and see if it is the same as last visit, also to check clarity, etc.

One time as he pulled back the syringe, nothing came out...but it was obvious there was a blockage...let go of the syringe and it pops back.

My port is right below the skin, and you can clearly see it...you can also se about 2-3" of the tubing, like a snake, before it goes deep.

You could clearly see a kink in the tubing, which only got worse as you pulled suction.

Long story, said it was very common....I held the syringe with one hand, while pulling back on the other as he massaged and worked the kink out of the tubing....

Your story sounds different...mine was very obvious what was happening.

That happened to me at my last fill. Dr couldn't pull put any Fluid (to check it) so he just filled with .3 and said to wait and see how I feel. I was banded over 3 years ago...this is the 2nd time this has happened. I really want this band out. I'm so sad as I know I made a mistake with this choice in WLS.

FYI. Lots of us are thrilled with our choice. Sorry you didn't have luck. I believe after a safe and suitable operation COMPLIANCY. is the obstacle

just sayin

@@Julie norton- I've been compliant...just that my band isn't working properly and it's causing physical problems. Those are my Dr.'s words...I don't feel that a band patient can cause it to leak...maybe I'm wrong. Truth is...I knew the risks going into it and now I need to face the music. I have a dear friend that has a band and it eroded through her stomach and another that it's working great. I have coworkers that have had different WLS and have gained back all their weight...yes...there's a huge commitment to being compliant and lifestyle change is a must. I'm very sad my band is not working....I don't wish my worst enemy to have to go through another surgery. My intention wasn't to offend you. I apologize.