Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Fear and recent death in Texas

I'm going through the steps for VSG and have been in this process for a while. I've been researching it for 5 months. I watch and subscribe to some VSG and weight loss vlogs. One of the gals mentioned that a woman in Texas died while havinf weight loss surgery on Oct. 31st. Nothing was said about the type or what happened to this poor lady. This has really thrown me for a loop, am I doing the right thing and just how dangerous is it? I'm 65 years old and wonder if it's safe to have the surgery.

Mortality rates within 30 days post weight loss surgery are low, compared to other major surgery. A recently published study cited:

"The 30-day death rate for gastric bypass patients was 0.30 percent, about the same as total knee replacement and one-tenth that of heart surgery."

That means 3 patients out of 1,000 died within 30 days of surgery.

You can read about the study at http://www.webmd.com/diet/weight-loss-surgery/news/20141106/weight-loss-surgery-has-low-complication-rates-study-finds

P.S. I had VSG surgery at age 68. Did fine.

Edited by VSGAnn2014

Yes it is true that you can die from WLS. but you can also die having your teeth removed at the dentist office. Every surgery comes with that chance. However slim it has happened to some.

Now think of why you are doing this. What brought you to this place and what you want out of it all.

I am glad that you are being though with your research. some jump into it without enough knowledge and so therefore are shocked and unprepared for the outcome if it goes south for them.

My surgeon asked me what is the worst thing that can happen if you go through with this surgery. He kept asking until I said I could die. He said that's right! The chances are slim but it happens.

Make sure you have this figured out. Make sure you understand the options and what can happen. Keep close to a forum that offers advice and help in your travel. And make sure that this is going to be worth all the work and energy you are going to put into it. It is far more then surgery. It is a mental, emotional and physical change that some are not prepared for.

So many have had this fear and all went well. As @@VSGAnn2014 mentioned. The statistics are in your favor kid! :)

I second what the others have said. Be diligent in the pre and post instructions and you'll be fine.

People can and do die everyday from complications due to obesity.

According to the NIH, it is the second leading cause of preventable death (after smoking) and 300,000 people die from obesity related causes annually in the USA.

Edited by Texasmeg

VSGAnn2014 what happens within 30 days of surgery that people die? Is this just typical of WLS or any surgery?

Thank you everyone that has replied. I've been searching for someone in my age group to talk with and help to sort out my feelings and fears.

VSGAnn2014 what happens within 30 days of surgery that people die? Is this just typical of WLS or any surgery?

Thank you everyone that has replied. I've been searching for someone in my age group to talk with and help to sort out my feelings and fears.

Well, I guess they have heart attacks or strokes or leaks and abcesses that don't respond to antibiotics or that cause other problems. And yes, sometimes (rarely) surgeons make errors.

I think you're looking at this the wrong way: Yes, 3 out of 1,000 people who have weight loss surgery of all kinds die within 30 days of surgery. But how many 1,000 morbidly obese (and that's what most of us are at the time of our surgery) are likely to die in the coming 30 days? Of heart attacks and strokes and falls and accidents and cancer and complications from other surgeries or medical treatments? Chances are, it's more than 3 out of 1,000.

BTW, did you know that 50% of people who break a hip don't live more than two years after the fracture?

None of us gets to live forever. The point here IMHO is to live as well as we can for as long as we can.

That's why I had weight loss surgery at age 68.

Your chances of dying of morbid obesity related illnesses is far higher than dying in surgery. All of us are going to die someday. I'd rather die while I'm happy and living the most of my life, not just wishing for it.

That said, this really is your decision. Make sure you are 100% on board and ready for all the changes that accompany this surgery. Best!

Thank you for the pep talk, I needed that. I do attend 2 support groups a month and that does help too.

@@VSGAnn2014, you are so correct. To the OP, there are literally only a handful of medically related complications that can occur to cause death after surgery, and warning signs usually precipitate the problems. Spend some of your research time looking into the signs and symptoms of the problems VSGAnn pointed out. Write them down and keep them in a place that you can easily access after surgery.

Along with those signs and symptoms, write down the things you can actively do to ward off those complications and committ yourself to that. It'll give you a better sense of doing your part to get and stay healthy, free of complications.

Trust your instincts and if you are unsure of something after surgery, call your surgeon and seek medical care. Leave everything else to God. We've all had your concerns no matter what age we all are. You're going to do great! Please keep doing your research to prepare for surgery and stay in touch.

My surgeon, who has had excellent results , said that the biggest risks are pneumonia and blood clots. The one example he gave of someone who died soon after surgery was a gentleman whose family wouldn't let him get up and walk.

Exactly. Five things that help prevent pneumonia after surgery are: Using your incentive spirometer at home; frequent short walks; coughing while splinting the abdomen with a small pillow; using your CPAP / BiPAP as you are supposed to, even for naps; do not resume smoking and aboid being around second hand smoke.

So from your replies I guess I've already had some risky surgeries having 2 ACL replacements, 2 foot surgeries and 2 meniscus repairs and hand repair removing arthritic joint. So am I right by thinking that WLS is relatively as safe? If so..... I can do this!

I know who you're talking about in Texas. It had me scared all thru November. Then this morning an obese, young, acquaintance died in her sleep last night from a heart attack. So now I'm more afraid of dying from being obese than because of surgery.

Edited by downsizingdiva